PDA

View Full Version : Solo automation

ianmiller
05-10-2002, 09:36 AM
Hi there - I have a song where I want to solo three tracks for a few bars and then bring everything back in. I am trying to automate this - does automation work with the solo button? If not, how do I do this. I could mute everything and then un-mute but that seems very fiddly - thanks for any advice

Brent Hahn
05-10-2002, 01:38 PM
Try this (and trust The Force):

Save.

Set automation to All Touch.

With your markers ruler visible, put markers at the start and stop of the area you want to solo. You'll need this visual cue.

Turn automation off on the 3 appropriate tracks, and any effects returns associated with them.

Hold down the option key, hit play, and when you get to the first marker, mute one track. All tracks will mute, giving you dead silence. When you get to the second marker, unmute one track and they'll all unmute.

Reset automation to All Touch.

ianmiller
05-11-2002, 07:35 AM
Thanks - good tip and the force was with me! However, I had a few muted hidden tracks and it of course also brought those back to life scaring the bejazus out of me until I fugured out what was going on ! Thanks again

Brent Hahn
05-11-2002, 08:49 AM
Actually -- and I can't believe I actually walk around obsessing about stuff like this -- I came up with another (non-automation) way that might be even slicker & quicker.

Place your 2 markers as in the previous exercise. At each marker, do a separation across all tracks (command-B). Select the area between the markers on all tracks except the ones you don't want to mute. Hit command-M to mute all these regions. Done.

Dr. J
05-12-2002, 01:49 PM
We always cut the other tracks out, and smooth with fades if necessary, when editing. Also use compression on the amser to really brign those 3 tracks to the front.