PDA

View Full Version : What R New York Pro Mixers Doing?

M2E
05-07-2002, 12:07 AM
I've heard alot of mixes in my day. But Damn-What R New York mixers using to get that sweet sheen sound to there mixes?
I don't know the mixers name, but I will find out. The sheen he had on the mix was incredible. It was a warmth that I haven't heard before.
Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
I'll try to find out more info, but in the meantime I guess it's back to experimenting with PT's agian to get an over all better mix.
What could I buy that would give it that warmth?
At this point I don't care how much it cost-I need to know how and where to find it.

Thanx
M2E images/icons/shocked.gif

wolfhound
05-07-2002, 08:00 AM
Try a Fatso or a pair of Distressors (from Empirical Labs). Lots of people are using these. I've been the PT Op for mixes where all automation was done in PT but each track was sent through a different output (using great converters) to an SSL console with the faders literally taped down at unity. This way the actual "mixing" is done by the board not PT's mixer. The difference probably comes in increments throughout the proccess, I think. Plus don't forget the top of the line mastering process all of these big records go through....maybe that's where the sheen you're talking about comes in?

joestudio
05-07-2002, 08:16 AM
you can get that ssl mixdown without spending a lot of dough, too. Do your mix to your best and then rent out a PT/SSL room on off hours. If you have some knowledge of an SSL, you can do this for less than $75/hour. Figure an hour or so setup, plus an hour per song to tweak what the ssl does to your mix. You can give an album an "SSL touch" for less than a grand.

JS

Kenny Gioia
05-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Use my Channelstrip/SSL Setup preset

Download (http://homepage.mac.com/produceher/FileSharing7.html)

s2n
05-08-2002, 12:37 AM
Tracking on Neve consoles with class A outboard onto 2" tape, editing and tracking some into Pro Tools and then either dumping to Sony 3348 or keeping it in Pro Tools and mixed on SSL 9k. That's what you are hearing.

wolfhound
05-08-2002, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the plug info Produceher. Is this something you typically put on every channel or just on the master?

Extreme Mixing
05-08-2002, 09:52 AM
The way a mix sounds usually has more to do with the guy mixing than the gear he used. I've heard lots of **** come off an SSL console, too. There are tricks and techniques that we can all learn, but don't get hung up on some piece of gear or a magic bullet that you think will change everything.

Steve

s2n
05-08-2002, 02:32 PM
Also, don't begin to think that a $500 plugin can sound as good as a $600,000 console.

Alécio Costa
05-08-2002, 05:29 PM
you might laugh at me but I still prefer mixing on direct out mode with an 02R. I do love Pt, I am really impressed with version 5.1.1 that just now I was ready to upgrade, along with a good G4 800 and some bundles and everything, except latency...

kamshaft
05-08-2002, 08:04 PM
[QB]The way a mix sounds usually has more to do with the guy mixing than the gear he used. I've heard lots of **** come off an SSL console, too. There are tricks and techniques that we can all learn, but don't get hung up on some piece of gear or a magic bullet that you think will change everything.

Very true, BUT a lot of cats are doing the direct out to BIG console thing. Also the 2" analog then tranfer to PT. And yet another, mixdown to 1" 2trk. ALL these have proven to be excellent sound enhancers. What you do with that takes us back around to the quote above! images/icons/smile.gif

Kenny Gioia
05-10-2002, 09:12 PM
I just use it on the Master Fader.

Robin Hughes
05-11-2002, 08:51 PM
What you do with what you've got is all that matters.

Saying that , there is a very good technical argument for recording digital information and replaying it with as little gain stages as possible in the digital domain.

If you can get your mix on the way in , you are one step ahead when it comes to going out.

ToolWeanie
05-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by M2E:
I've heard alot of mixes in my day. But Damn-What R New York mixers using to get that sweet sheen sound to there mixes?
I don't know the mixers name, but I will find out. The sheen he had on the mix was incredible.
Thanx
M2E images/icons/shocked.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Was it a demo, or a mastered CD. There must be thousands of pro mix people in NYC. Could you post the track? Producers SSL setting works real nice. Tightens things up. Just be careful it doesn't get to small.

M2E
05-13-2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by ToolWeanie:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by M2E:
I don't know the mixers name, but I will find out. The sheen he had on the mix was incredible.
Thanx
M2E images/icons/shocked.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Was it a demo, or a mastered CD. There must be thousands of pro mix people in NYC. Could you post the track? Producers SSL setting works real nice. Tightens things up. Just be careful it doesn't get to small.<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, it was not a demo but a full mix. It also was not mastered. I don't have the track on hand. I heard it through someone else, not my song.
Also thank you Producher for the settings. I have'nt had a chance to use them yet-but I'm sure I will.

Thanx Guys

masmit
05-14-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by s2n:
Also, don't begin to think that a $500 plugin can sound as good as a $600,000 console.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">On the other hand, a multi-platinum producer of my aquaintance described the SSL J series eq as 'unusable'. Admittedly, he's rather given to extreme views, but he was happy with the McDSP eq when mixing a low budget album at my place in PT. He was also quite impressed with the BF pultec, and he's blind, so not swayed by the pretty graphics.

It's the jockey, not the horse, though some jockeys will ride better on a particular kind of horse.

Cheers, Mark

M2E
05-14-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by masmit:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by s2n:
Also, don't begin to think that a $500 plugin can sound as good as a $600,000 console.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">On the other hand, a multi-platinum producer of my aquaintance described the SSL J series eq as 'unusable'. Admittedly, he's rather given to extreme views, but he was happy with the McDSP eq when mixing a low budget album at my place in PT. He was also quite impressed with the BF pultec, and he's blind, so not swayed by the pretty graphics.

It's the jockey, not the horse, though some jockeys will ride better on a particular kind of horse.

Cheers, Mark<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I must say-very well said mate. Cheers!

BillSmith
05-17-2002, 03:52 PM
"The way a mix sounds usually has more to do with the guy mixing than the gear he used. I've heard lots of **** come off an SSL console"

AMEN! In fact take out "usually" and put in the word "always".

www.home.earthlink.net/~wgsmith/ (http://www.home.earthlink.net/~wgsmith/)