PDA

View Full Version : video-monitor interference

dan wool
04-30-2002, 06:16 PM
Ever since I got a dual VGA setup for my Mac, whenever I turn on my consumer Sony TV monitor (that sits just inches away from my computer monitor for scoring) both my VGA monitors' images flutter and bounce around. What can be done about this? Do I need to buy a pro-monitor? There are several out there in all price ranges but I'm not sure what to look for. -thanks

jackruston
05-01-2002, 02:02 AM
I have the same problem with a telly and a vga side by side. I am not sure how to screen these. I think it is actually very difficult. Your simplest options are....
1. Get lcd monitors. Trendy and will solve the problem, but costly.
2. Move the TV. Could you mount it on the wall?
I am putting up with it at the moment as I am moving soon, but it is annoying.
Jack

dan wool
05-01-2002, 10:00 AM
Someone suggested playing with the referesh (Hz) rates. Didn't help me jack, but it may help you.

dan wool
05-01-2002, 04:42 PM
Anyway...

What I've decided to do is just use an old 17" CRT instead of a video monitor. There's a box (isn't there always) made by ViewSonic for around $100 that converts ntsc for use on vga monitors. I know the 17" will get along with my other vgas so I think that will work just fine. Plus I can use the extra computer monitor for my 2nd Mac that I have
dedicated to video playback.

jackruston
05-02-2002, 12:05 AM
Thanks for passing on the tip, but I think they might have the wrong idea. They are confusing the flickering that too low a refresh rate gives, with the wobbling that you and I are seeing.
Jack

Barnabas
05-02-2002, 06:51 AM
Try a thick sheet of steel between the offending monitors. The magnetic waves will follow the sheet of steel rather than arcing out to the neighboring monitor. I used to do this with two computer monitors that talked to each other. I used a sheet of steel that was 3/8" thick and 24" x 24" square.

If you are near Raleigh, North Carolina, I have a few of these sheets of steel that I need to get rid of. It would probably not be worth the shipping charge.

jackruston
05-02-2002, 07:42 AM
Thanks Barnabas.
I'll have a go. Unfortunately I am in London so the shipping might not be economical, but thanks anyway.
Jack