PDA

View Full Version : vocal distortion

sharkster
04-22-2002, 03:40 PM
Hey I wanted to know what you guys use to slightly distort vocals without changing the tone drastically. I have been messing around with a sansamp plugin. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it doesn't sound good to my ears. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hardnox
04-22-2002, 03:56 PM
HEAVY Compression or put it through an L1 limiter and just crush it. I like putting things through Amp Farm, or Sansamp and then mix it with the clean vocal.

Tweakhead
04-22-2002, 06:22 PM
If you want to preserve more tone, then I suggest you do the distortion in the analog domain.

Run the signal out to a real guitar amp and mic it up.

Even a small amp will produce better results than any plug-in.

Or, try overloading a mic pre. Or a guitar foot pedal distortion box.

You really need to try several things to see which you prefer. Mix the result with the dry signal if it seems too severe.

Robotnik
04-23-2002, 01:19 AM
CBS compressor.

JUSTIN LIEBERMAN
04-27-2002, 10:23 PM
I have had much luck with a couple of things. One thing is the maxim plug in. I was able to get a heavily saturated vocal sound without being completely squashed and lifeless. I have also taken a vocal and duplicated the track and put amp farm on one channel. If you time correct the amp farm channel and mix them together you can get some saturation without completely compromising dynamics and tone.

Robotnik
04-28-2002, 09:50 AM
Yamaha REX50 is another one.

6X 2
04-29-2002, 04:11 AM
I (as many others) find the best way to get that little smooth distortion is to use a tube pre and drive it pretty hot. Or run the signal hot through a tube comp or EQ at mixdown.
[That's kinda obvious, eh?]

However, if you don't have that, try to put the vocals on tape (even normal cassette...), and drive it a bit, blend in with original.

The guitar amp trick would do the same. Sansamp & Amp farm are OK for heavier distortion in my opinion, but for what you seem to be looking for, forget them.

6X 2

Xavi - DUY
04-30-2002, 07:06 AM
Sharkster,

You can find some interesting distortion presets included in DUY ReDSPider. You can modify the degree of distortion...

You can also try out DSPider. All these demos are available from Digidesign's website. We also be adding them to www.duy.com (http://www.duy.com/plug-ins) and www.duystore.com (http://www.duystore.com) before the end of this week.

Best regards,

Submersible
04-30-2002, 01:10 PM
McDSP Analog Channel does pretty good vocal distortion. If I had the DSP power to squander on Amp Farm or Sansamp for a distorted vocal, I probably would, but AC gets me 90% of the way there.

procontrolmomma
04-30-2002, 02:26 PM
6x 2, or anyone

which tube pre/eq/compressor units do you recommend to get the vocal distortion?

thanks

holly

5down1up
05-02-2002, 06:06 PM
run it through an amp and mic it .
sing into a bluesharp mic ( cant remember the name its a shure mic ) , sounds cool , too .
scream it into the pickup of a guitar plugged into an distorted amp , noisy but a wired sound . maybe take a megaphone or an old tube radio . any stomp box will do it , too .
maybe that helps images/icons/cool.gif

( i guess youve knowed that already )

Joz
05-02-2002, 09:16 PM
I sick of hearing about tube **** ...why complicate things. Tube is over-rated, good for some things but not for everything. Seems like its the expected pro-answer to magic tone. Any good distortion box, or good plug-in will do, I've even used that low-fi plug,... just know how to use it, and mix it with the original signal, otherwise you're gonna get a very ****ed up spound. and don't distort too much. Someone said that sans-amp was too much distortion, if I remember correctly you can start from real clean.