PDA

View Full Version : Mastering In The San Francisco Bay Area

Hardnox
04-16-2002, 10:39 AM
I'm looking for mastering in the San Francisco Bay Area. Any suggestions, do or don'ts. I appreciate your advice.

Krusty
04-16-2002, 02:49 PM
The best mastering guys are in LA and NY.. don't kid yourself.

PS. and I live in the SF area

Hardnox
04-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Who do you recommend Krusty? In LA/NY. I'm an indi artists and don't have a huge budget.

snoopy
04-16-2002, 05:35 PM
Good friend of mine just opened up a nice Mastering suite in LA. SOnic Solutions, Mnaley, Weiss, L2, and all that kinda fun stuff. Might be worth a look:

http://www.promastering.com/

scottgreiner
04-17-2002, 02:42 PM
I was suprised to find that even the top mastering engineers weren't much more than an unknown quantity. It's all about the guy (or gal) not the gear. I'm mastering with Brian Gardener at Bernie Grundman on monday. Though I've never worked with him before, he's highly regarded and recommended, and the cd's he's worked on seem to "do it" for me. I'll try to remember to post my feelings when we're finished.

J&H Productions
04-19-2002, 08:56 PM
There is only one guy in SF who I would recommend, and that's Paul Stubblebine:

www.paulstubblebine.com (http://www.paulstubblebine.com)

Very fine indeed.

Hardnox
04-20-2002, 01:37 AM
Where is Bernie Grundman Mastering Located?

BboY
04-20-2002, 10:08 AM
I belive in LA, Hardnox you know where Dr. Dre is from. Check the back of the many CDs of Dre you have and read. You know Brian Gardener right? He masters for Dre. I think Dre calls him Big Bass Brian, Quik may also call him that. Just think if you can get Brian you will be that much closer to Dre. (Hmmmm Dreammmy) images/icons/rolleyes.gif You could put Concord on the map just like Dre put Compton on the map. ***Comin straigt out of Concord, Crazy preppy named Hardnox.... images/icons/grin.gif

Hardnox
04-20-2002, 01:06 PM
We wre recently contacted by Gary Cirimelli about mastering. He saw this forum. Talked to him this week. Real cool guy.

georgia
04-21-2002, 12:44 AM
The only two places i'd master at is THE PLANT recording studios in SF, ask for Arnie Frager, or Gateway Mastering in Portland ME. ( Bob Ludwig's place).

cheers

georgia

JUSTIN LIEBERMAN
04-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Bernie Grundmans is great if you have the budget. If you are trying to get a great ear to listen and do some polishing in San Francisco try Ken Lee Mastering in Oakland. He is well priced and does a great job.

BboY
04-21-2002, 07:40 PM
ok justin how do one get in touch with Ken Lee

Hardnox
04-22-2002, 01:37 PM
"Just think if you can get Brian you will be that much closer to Dre. (Hmmmm Dreammmy) You could put Concord on the map just like Dre put Compton on the map. ***Comin straigt out of Concord, Crazy preppy named Hardnox...."

Crazy white-boys called Hardnox/ Don't worry about the cops they never roll around my bocks.

Yea right Bboy, images/icons/wink.gif

The day we come like that will be the last day of our careers. Maybe we'd be lucky enough to have a TRL hit for one week and then we'd be banished into white teenie-bopper land, only to be mentioned on Eminem's fourth album getting trashed by him over a Dre beat!

Oh well, who cares about pleasing everybody anyway. The day Eminem is clowning us on a track will probably be the day we can say "We made it!"

Ohh yea...I don't want to sound like all the other hip-hop out there either. We actually don't really sound like normal hip-hop. That's why we're talkin to Gary, I think he can help give us a more unique sound.

Nothin against Brian Gardner...God No! I Love his work and would love to work with him someday. I think right now he's out of our range geographically and possibly finacially.

JimLeb
04-23-2002, 12:17 AM
I've heard great things about Paul S. too. Also, there's George Horn at Fantasy. 510-486-2038. He's well respected by a wide range of artists.

Hardnox
04-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Where is Bernie Grundman Mastering?

Krusty
04-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Bernie Grundman LA
Chris Bellman at Bernie's is great too.

I love Arnie and the Plant, although I didn't know he did any mastering. I thought it was all John.

I've heard lots of Brian, Chris, and Bernie's work - all great. and less $$ than say, Steve Marcosin (sp?) or George Marino..

scottgreiner
04-24-2002, 12:17 AM
Just returned from mastering with Brian Gardener. Super nice guy, amazing ears, blazing fast. Fortunately the mix was already great thanks to Rob Jacobs, so very little was done. But, what was done made all the difference. Subtle yet neccessary. Oh, by the way, the rate at Bernie Grundman is around $325/hr. We were only mastering the single (master mix, tv mix, instrumental mix) so we were finished in around 45 minutes. Not what I would call expensive.