PDA

View Full Version : TESTAMENT Guitar sound and others

Mullholland
04-15-2002, 03:08 PM
Hey Metal boys and girls,
Anyone knows how to make that Testament(the Gathering) metal guitar sound ?
I know it'z probably Mesa Boogie. But whatever I try with the settings on the boogie, I always keep hearing to much hi mid in the tone.
Must have something to do with the Eq on the desk.
lots of lo mid and highs, I guess.
any tips and tricks welcome
images/icons/cool.gif

Andy Sneap
04-15-2002, 03:14 PM
It's a triple rectifier, boogie cab, beta 57 slightly off centre, Dean gtr with seymours (If I remember correctly) and Eric ofcourse, tracked 4 times, eq slightly through a couple of older neve strips.

Mullholland
04-15-2002, 03:34 PM
Hey Andy
Quick reply, thanks again.
any EQ settings(bands/cut/boost) you can remember?

Andy Sneap
04-15-2002, 03:45 PM
nothing major. With those neves they're notched frequencies so you cant do too much, it just sounds good, probably a slight boost at 6k, rolling some lows out. Becareful of the treble contol on those rectifiers, can be a little scratchy at times. Alot of Erics tone is in his hands, I know that sounds a real cliche, but alot of players wouldnt like playing with his tone.

Mullholland
04-15-2002, 03:51 PM
cool man.
I found your tips on another thread about D4 kick drums.You mentioned Monster and Fusion Kick.
Do you mean that you mix the 2 together ?

Keep up the good work images/icons/wink.gif

Guruman
04-17-2002, 11:37 AM
Just had to say great job from here as well. "The Gathering" is a clinic on what a great metal album sounds like.

Andy Sneap
04-18-2002, 08:10 AM
thank you, it was mixed on Adats and a soundcraft ghost, with a few bits of tasty outboard gear....Just goes to show doesn't it! Not had any comments about the A/D's etc

Mullholland
04-18-2002, 02:13 PM
LOL
images/icons/wink.gif

Guruman
04-19-2002, 08:55 AM
It's all about the music man. images/icons/cool.gif

I remember when I was in school I got to record thie incredible group of bluegrass musicians. I literally put the faders up, tweaked a little comp and eq (hint: never tell bluegrass musician that you are using comp or eq) and they sounded like a million bucks. I hardly did anything, but they were such great musicians that they knew how to get more I out of thier instruments than I could have hoped to have added artificially.

I'll take a great musician at 44.1 through a crappy D/A and a jittery clock over a crappy musician through the best sounding rig in the world any day.

Guruman
04-19-2002, 08:56 AM
Of course, take no inference that your rig is crappy from that last post Andy. images/icons/smile.gif

Andy Sneap
04-20-2002, 12:09 AM
No, their set up was though! Actually it wasn't bad, I just feel far too many people post on this board, worrying about the slightest difference, and forgetting about performance. You move a mic 1cm on a gtr cab and it makes more of a difference than most of these A/D converters. Obviously we're all after the best results but sometimes I have to smile... Back to Erics tone, any other guy could play on his rig with his gtr and it wouldn't sound the same. It's all down to the way he digs in with his pic, mutes with his hand etc. It's a cliche but it's true, I'd say at least 50% if not more is from himself.