PDA

View Full Version : OT DA-88 transfers from 192

Barry Young
03-17-2002, 04:55 AM
I've just put an HD system in a place that has been using DA-88's forever and has all their stuff archived in that format. I can dump into the 192 through the TDIF but can't get the DA's digital clock to see sync when trying to transfer to tape. I'm using one 192 and a SYNC I/O. SYNC provides digital clock to 192, then DA-88. Sample rate and bit depth are correct at 44.1/16. When the DA's clock is set to internal, I get crashing waves of noise like it's syncing every second or so, but set to word sync it's just noise like there's no clock. Any tips?

Ask Otis
03-18-2002, 10:27 AM
You say you have a sync supplying word clock to the 192 and the DA. This is good. you should never need to put the DA on internal when doing a transfer to/from 192. Keep the DA and the 192 slaved to the digital clock of the sync no matter what. Whenever you are dealing with a digital system there needs to be a single master clock source.

AE
03-18-2002, 02:53 PM
Just to make sure you're set up the way it sounds:

-you've got the Word Clock In BNC on the DA-88 fed by the 192k interface set to 44.1 kHz,
-you have External Word Clock selected on the DA-88,
-AND you have Digital In selected on the DA-88?

If so, check your cables. Try sending the word clock signal to another device (an outboard digital reverb, for example) and see if it sees the signal.

Barry Young
03-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I have all the set-up correct it seems (been doing this a while). I thought I was in some sort of cryptic menu Tascam twilight zone, but Digi support says that this problem is being reported by other users. They're working on it. Apparently there's also a problem transfering between DA-98's and DA-88's. My gut says the TDIF 1 vs. TDIF 2 spec.

Just to recap: digital transfers from the DA-88 into PT HD work fine, but not the other way around. But I'm a PT guy, not really all that up on Tascam.

Also check my post about bouncing with Soft Samplecell and Atto.