PDA

View Full Version : OTish: basic non TDM Logic set up advice needed.

roman
03-17-2002, 04:22 AM
I am making beats within Logic with Battery. I also record vocals through a Neumann>Voicemaster.
I have some nagging thoughts on how to improve my sound.
I want to sound like DJ premier, D angelo and all that warm modern/retro black music.
1. If I upgraded my soundcard from the G3's built in soundcard to something else would the improvement be noticeable?
2. I know the software reverb is very poor and a big quality let down. I can send through a soundcard to a hardware lexicon. Is an MPX500 a good choice.
3. I am always trying to add warmth to my sounds to saturate bass or just warm things up. At the moment my only tool for this is a PSP plug in called vintage warmer. Is there a magic box I should be sampling and recording everything through. And can the whole warming (harmonic distortion thing be overdone). One thing is for sure I like what tape does to sound!
3. What are common practises these days to make digital productions sound good.
Any thoughts you have freely express. BTW, I sample to my Akai S950 first then to the computer to get the hip hop 12bit sound.
Sorry for the slightly odd vague questions.
Peace. images/icons/tongue.gif

Robert U
03-17-2002, 04:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
1. If I upgraded my soundcard from the G3's built in soundcard to something else would the improvement be noticeable?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. It would be a very significant improvement.

2. I know the software reverb is very poor and a big quality let down. I can send through a soundcard to a hardware lexicon. Is an MPX500 a good choice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The MPX500 is ok. You get what you pay for.

3. I am always trying to add warmth to my sounds to saturate bass or just warm things up. At the moment my only tool for this is a PSP plug in called vintage warmer. Is there a magic box I should be sampling and recording everything through. And can the whole warming (harmonic distortion thing be overdone). One thing is for sure I like what tape does to sound!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good mic pres, A/D converters are essential and fundamental for having a good sound. Buy one good A/D-D/A converter and track everyhing through that. If you're not tracking drums or other multistuff you can get a 2-track.

-Robert