PDA

View Full Version : SLAVING 2 SYSTEMS

Bruce Little
02-28-2002, 09:23 PM
IS ANYONE CURRENTLY DOING THIS? WHAT IS THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR SLAVING 2 PT MIX SYSTEMS TOGETHER.. IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE TO PRO CONTROL UNITS FOR 2 MIXERS ON 1 PROJECT?

THANKS

BRUCE

ekuehnl
03-01-2002, 09:47 AM
The easiest way to slave is:

1. Connect slave clock from the first interface on the first system to ALL remaining interfaces on both systems.

2. Run MTC between the systems using two MIDI interfaces.

The best way is probably 2 USDs.

I'm not sure I understand your ProControl question. You could definitely use two PCs on two rigs simultaneously. Is that what you mean?

Or did you mean sharing one ProControl between two rigs? ProControls can be shared if you are willing to go into "Peripherals" and disable the controller(s) on the first system and then enable on the second. Pretty tedious. Most people opt for multiple ProControls or a ProControl on the "primary" rig and a HUI on the "secondary" rig.

Bruce Little
03-01-2002, 03:45 PM
YES WE HAVE 2 SEPERATE PROCONTROL MAIN UNITS.. AND BOTH SYSTEMS HAVE USD'S ... WHAT DO YOU CONNECT ON THE USD'S.. HOW FAST WILL THE SYSTEMS LOCK UP?.. ONE OF THE SYSTEMS HAS THE AVOPTION.. WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO MONITOR BOTH PT SYSTEMS?

THANKS

BRUCE

Disco_Doctor
03-02-2002, 03:01 AM
images/icons/shocked.gif Midi Time Code images/icons/shocked.gif Nah...don't do that.

To setup the rigs so either one can be master, run TC out from both USD's to the other USD's TC in.

Connect word clock out from both USD's to the other USD's word clock in (unless you're video ref - see below).

Set clock source in session setup window to internal on master rig, set to word clock on slave rig.

If you're slaving to external vid ref, set both rigs to clock to video reference.

Put one rig in TC generate mode (session setup window). Put both rigs online. Hit play. You're locked. They lock quickly.

I recommend using external video ref (such as Aardsync or SSL video output) when doing this.

images/icons/smile.gif

Disco_Doctor
03-02-2002, 03:03 AM
PS - and of course the session on each rig needs to be running the same SMPTE frame rate. I recommend 29.97ND (always), ref'd to external video.

images/icons/smile.gif

Bruce Little
03-02-2002, 01:08 PM
Great. sounds good... how do you manage the monitoring on both pro control main units? Do you run the outs to another external mixing device?.. what about if you need to do stem mixes to da88 or something, or 5.1 etc?

Bruce

Disco_Doctor
03-03-2002, 06:23 AM
All good questions. Depends on what you're doing. Normally when I'm running multiple locked PT rigs, we're just feeding everything into a console. If you're mixing in PT, I'd just send the AES outputs of the slave rig into aux inputs on the master rig.

As for ProControl - isn't there a way to share the ProControl between two PT rigs? I think there is - not sure though. Anyone?

images/icons/smile.gif