PDA

View Full Version : old dsp farms with new plug-ins

lhundhrup dorje
02-15-2002, 01:22 PM
i have an old dsp farm, if i understand correctly a farm with rev q can be upgraded to a rev qe.
now does anyone know if rev qe
will allow me to use access virus or the L2 or masterx5 any of the dsp hungry plug-ins with my pro tools 3 upgraded farm.

basically put does the qe rev give one access to all the new plugs?
thanks and wondering images/icons/rolleyes.gif images/icons/confused.gif images/icons/wink.gif

Avid
02-15-2002, 02:03 PM
I don't know about the others, but the Virus plug-in requires a MIX card because of the DSP chips on it that are not on pre-MIX cards. Virus in particular needs these because the MIX chips that it uses are identical to those used in the Virus hardware synth. Which is why the TDM version emulates and integrates so well with the hardware version.
If the other plug-ins say that they require a MIX card or MIX system for compatibility, then more than likely they are also using newer chips only available on MIX cards or later. There is no way to add those chips to previous cards. The QC or higher card upgrade is only for compatibility with the PCI 2.1 specification that Apple moved to beginning with the Blue & White G3.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/pt3cards.html

The chip upgrade will let your card work in those machines, but won't add any other performance capabilities.

lhundhrup dorje
02-15-2002, 02:29 PM
images/icons/frown.gif thanks digi! images/icons/wink.gif

lhundhrup dorje
02-15-2002, 02:32 PM
then my next question would be can a mix farm card be used with pro tools 3 farm and i/o can it's chips functionality be implemented backwardly,
i would tend to think not but....??????? images/icons/confused.gif images/icons/smile.gif

Avid
02-15-2002, 06:34 PM
A MIX Farm card requires one of the following:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>A MIX Core card<LI>a d24 card (Pro Tools|24 core card)[/list]Without one of those, it can't be used.