PDA

View Full Version : Any "Reasons" for Pro Tools!

phanatik
10-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Any1 out here usin PropellerHeads Reason 2.x with Pro Tools LE? Im tryin to get it and used the demo but couldn't midi it up with PT. It said Digi 002 is used by another software or somethin similar. so....... I read it can b done but don't know how. And I couldn't get to play any synths within the program w/o a keyboard.

Im really interested in using this program.

Share some xperiences with PT and Reason if u have.

thnx

PowerMac G4 dp 1.25
OS X 10.2.6
Pro Tools LE 6.1.2
Digi 002
Triton
V-Synth
ASR-X Pro
MPC 4000,200xl,60...
and more

EricFuller
10-30-2003, 07:37 AM
Hey phanatik,

I just bought ProTools LE 6.1 (MBox). It comes with Reason (and other 3rd party softwares) and ReWire which allows Reason to interface directly with ProTools. Maybe that's what you've heard about. My buddy has an older version of ProTools and he has to create beats, etc in Reason, save them as a .wav file (I think), and then import the audio into a ProTools track. This works, but you have to have the Reason file totally completed in order to do it (or redo the audio import over and over). In 6.1 it is just awesome. I have had it for less than a week and I have already laid a beat down in Reason, listened to it while overdubbing in ProTools, then listened to the session in ProTools while editing the beats to more accurately match the changes in the song (y'know, 2|4 section here, break there). Not only that but the transport controls in Reason trigger the whole ProTools session that it is a part of, and vice versa.

There are a few things I still need to figure out though. For instance - once I get the beats set, can I automate Reason like I can ProTools? If not, can I record the Reason beats to the track that has Reason set as an insert and record effect changes as I make them in Reason in realtime (which will also remove the necessity of having Reason open while using ProTools and increase CPU availability)? Do I need to record to another track, and if so, do I bus it to that track or do I need to configure I/O settings in a certain way? What would the I/O configs be for the Reason insert track and the new track I'm recording to?

LOL! Still lots to learn...

phanatik
10-31-2003, 12:21 AM
thnx for the info. all those ?'s, I 2 need the answers! And I don't even have Reason(yet).

EricFuller
10-31-2003, 05:50 AM
Good luck phanatik! I have this saved as one of my favorite threads. I'll update in here as I figure things out or find things to read that provide the answers. I will be making basic scratch tracks and building off of them for the next little while so it is likely that I won't get back to Reason for a few weeks when I start heavy editing.

PDEES
10-31-2003, 06:58 AM
Suggest you check out Prop's BB as well. There are a ton of helpful dudes over there as well. I have just loaded reason last week and using it with 6.1 LE is kickin'. I bought an oxy8 midi controllor yesterday from GC and the dude gave me about an hour of his time showing me how to use it with 6.1. I will try and mimic some of the query's posted above and post answers back as I toy with it this weekend.

EricFuller
10-31-2003, 07:03 AM
I will try and mimic some of the query's posted above and post answers back as I toy with it this weekend.

Thanks so much!

EricFuller
10-31-2003, 08:11 AM
FYI - on recording Reason to an audio track, here's what I found on the Propellerhead website:

Put the Rewire plug in on an aux track, bus to audio track, make sure the aux track is turned up, record enable the audio track...Make sure the rewire plug in is set to your output reason track..i.e. 1L-2R(sterio). Also check this.

EricFuller
10-31-2003, 08:30 AM
OK, and re: automating in Reason:

Q: Is it possible to automate levels in the mixer? (ie; volume, left & right panning etc)

A: Yep. You have to create a blank sequencer track (in the create menu) and then assign it to the mixer using the drop down menu on the track bar in the sequencer. You can now automate the mixer just like any other instrument.

The same process applies to automate the effects units. Some very cool stuff can be done.

Have fun.

EricFuller
10-31-2003, 08:36 AM
To consolidate (maybe this can be added to that FAQ/survey post someone created?):

Q: Can I automate Reason?

A: Yes - You have to create a blank sequencer track (in the create menu) and then assign it to the mixer using the drop down menu on the track bar in the sequencer. You can now automate the mixer just like any other instrument. The same process applies to automate the effects units.

Q: Can I record the Reason beats to the track that has Reason set as an insert?

A: No

Q: Can I record from the track that has Reason set up as an insert to another audio track?

Yes – Put the Reason plug-in on an AUX track and then bus it to an Audio track (make sure the AUX track fader is turned up!). Record enable the audio track and then record as usual.

I still have to test these out at home, but they makes sense to me.

phanatik
10-31-2003, 11:24 AM
E. Fuller

thnx for, basically, answering ur own questions for me(us).
U gave me the heads up b4 I even have Reason in which I was gonna run into.

If u got the time, hit me up... I wanna talk about some Digi, Reason stuff

[email protected]

EricFuller
10-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Email sent phanatik...

PDEES
10-31-2003, 07:15 PM
Abdul, did you get reason to play w/o any synths, per you first post, i.e., with dedrum you just need a mouse. Eventually painful, you should get sounds if you set up PT and Reason w/ rewire output up correctly.

phanatik
10-31-2003, 10:14 PM
PDEES

and E.

I got another dilemma with Reason. Tried demo on my mac which is hooked up to 2 different keyboards and 3 beat machines via an Emagic AMT8. When i go in preference(s), MIDI... port.... It just recognizes Digi 002 midi port. How can I get this program to work with a midi router?

Predator should beat Alien!

PDEES
11-01-2003, 05:44 AM
This is beyond me, I don't know mac's at all. Sounds like a driver issue though. Check out the midi forum and also do a search.

phanatik
11-01-2003, 04:27 PM
I got it to recognize the AMT8 with the AMT8 update, but now Reason doesnt play out my 002!

weird!. fix 1 thing, creates another problem. And I got the Core Audio set properly.

I get the red "X" for 002 CoreAudio.

help!!1

PDEES
11-01-2003, 09:07 PM
You have to go into reason and check the preferences. I was working with acid, reason, and PT through out the day and I noticed I had to change the preferences in acid and reason so that it read my midi as digi, thus...oops , I forgot to ask if you had the current asio driver? 6.1 and 6.1.1 are totally different and that could be your problem, or it is the preference midi device.

Stage
11-02-2003, 12:08 AM
core audio (and 6.1.1&2) has a tendency to disable the 002's midi ports... not sure if this is your problem but keep it in mind..

phanatik
11-02-2003, 01:13 AM
I fixed the midi, its now the audio driver ... 002 not being able to use in Reason

EricFuller
11-03-2003, 05:02 AM
fix 1 thing, creates another problem.

LOL! It's like the freaking Smurf's, eh? Hammer a nail in on one side of the board and one on the other side starts coming out...Hehehe

Too obscure?

Just ignore me ;-)

phanatik, the midi issue is beyond me. I haven't had any problems running Reason through PT yet, either. Again, if I come across any solutions I'll post them here. Good luck!

phanatik
11-04-2003, 04:11 AM
Is there any MIDI, audio problems with OS X 10.2.8?

p.s.

whatever happened to Ren & Stimpy?

Scott Leader
11-05-2003, 01:49 PM
HEy Y'all,
Actually, I had sort of the same issue....I have the MBOX, and reason only gave me an option for 002 so i couldn't even get things started... Can anyone help?

EricFuller
11-07-2003, 07:42 AM
What do you mean "only gave you an option for 002?"

It interfaces with the software, not the hardware. Were you setting something up through the ASIO driver or wavedriver?

To use Reason with Protools all you have to do is set it up as an insert on an Audio track. Then write your beats and hit play in either Reason or ProTools and it should play in both programs.

shakern
05-14-2004, 01:29 AM
[QUOTE]

Any1 out here usin PropellerHeads Reason 2.x with Pro Tools LE? Im tryin to get it and used the demo but couldn't midi it up with PT. It said Digi 002 is used by another software or somethin

Hey Have u figured out this problem ???
I got the same problem .

Shaker

mindnoise
05-14-2004, 04:22 AM
Sorry, but since Bidule from www.plogue.com (http://www.plogue.com) Reason is outdated and the only advantage of ReWire is gone.

!Choooose! ANY VST or AU Synth/Sampler YOU want !or create your own! and ReWire them into Protools.

and the best thing: IT`S FREE!!! (for now)

time to move on!

regs

Chris Cavell
05-14-2004, 04:25 AM
When running reason through rewire, reason cannot access the midi ports directly because they are "stolen" by Pro Tools. To get midi over to reason you need to route it through PT first. Setup a midi track in PT and set it's outputs to whatever device in Reason you want to control. All the loaded devices in Reason should show up in the midi output selector of the midi track as though they were virtual midi instruments...the same way Sampletank or the Native Instruments Softsynths would.

phanatik
05-14-2004, 04:59 AM
All fixed and runnin.

thnx all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im now a Reason head