PDA

View Full Version : Jewels vocal chain?

TimOz
12-29-2001, 04:03 PM
Does anybody know the mic,pre and comp chain used on Jewels song "Standing Still". My wife has a similar sounding voice and we were playing around with that song last night. I'm using a u47fet thru a HHB radius 40 pre. Im compressing a bit on input and then using a plugin comp on the track and really squashing up to 8db. Its getting close but jewels vox is really up front. Any ideas?
Thanks and Happy New Year to all,
Tim. images/icons/grin.gif

EthanMorse
12-29-2001, 05:43 PM
Trying a different mic would most likely help... The U47's tend to sound better on male vocals, emphasizing a bit more of the low to lower midrange frequencies...
My GUESS would be that they used a U87(hell, 90% of singers do...)

davemc
12-30-2001, 04:49 AM
I remember seeing this in RAp before. See cut and paste below.

Subject: Re: Jewel sound QQ-
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
View this article only
Date: 2001-09-28 09:47:32 PST

Hello
I engineered and mixed her album "Spirit" ... Atlantic records 1998
on this recording I primarily used an AKG C24 ,using only one of the
capsules since the C24 is a stereo mic
we tried a c12 but the c24 was better
this then went to a Neve 1084 preamp which is very similar to a 1073
i had the eq button engaged
when you push the eq button in with no actual boost you still get a
bit of an excitement factor
then to a distressor and then to an LA2a on the backend
double compression ...... yes ....
on 2 songs that were acoustic some of the guitar mics do come into
play and she moves around a bit when performing so there will be phase
shift on those due to the nature of the beast ....
we recorded the basic tracks to 16 track 2inch analog
but all the vocals were recorded after ther analog was bounced to 3348
sony digital tape recorder for the rest of the recording
on mixdown the 2inch tapes were locked up to the digital 48 track
so that the analog properties could still be used on the mix of the
drums bass and rhythm guitars
alrighty then now you have it ...... the straight poop .....
all the best

Ross Hogarth

TimOz
12-30-2001, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the reply's. Double compression on input is interesting. I'll try my NT2 instead of the u47. Cant afford a distressor at this point unfortunatly, last time I checked they were over 3 grand for a mono unit here in Australia. I'll add a neve pre to my want list and keep experimenting with what I have.
Cheers
Tim images/icons/grin.gif

davemc
12-30-2001, 05:11 PM
Yep everything in Australia is expensive, but thats another post.

Kev
01-01-2002, 12:23 AM
Everything in Australia is Double, Double Expensive, that's what prompted me to start building equipment and so far everything has been very successful.

BUT there are some things that have very proprietry devices in them like the Empirical Labs stuff and the RNC ( I could actualy afford that and I needed to know what was inside! )....

SO .. I will have to win the lotto to afford a pair of Distressors, matched and with the British Mod.....! images/icons/grin.gif

Until then I will continue to look through the Trading Post for a second hand Cranesong Hedd192 at a barrrrrgain price. (yeah right) images/icons/wink.gif

Happy new year to all.

24-bit
01-05-2002, 10:48 PM
It's very common to see some of the greats using two compressors, but not necessarily compressing the signal much. They use them more as effects units. For example, one popular combo is an LA-2A and an 1176LN. You can run the signal through the LA-2A with no compression to warm up the signal, and then use slight compression with the 1176LN to add some sparkle and edge.

TRIRATS
01-07-2002, 07:57 PM
hi
to suggest an 1176 to add sparkle and edge sounds a bit optimistic - all the 1176 ever did nicely in my experience was to add boom and rumble - nicely though.
Have you tried the new Brauner Mics ?
They have the sparkle and edge of a modern vocal sound -
check it out.