PDA

View Full Version : rewinding a tape

MR808
10-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Does anyone know how to get the efx of rewinding a tape or a record? Got a client who decides in the middle of a song he wants to Say REWIND and he wants the audio to sound like a tape or a record actually rewinding. I tried using the reverse but it didnt give us that effect correctly.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!
Any suggestions is needed ASAP

LurkerAtTheThreshold
10-17-2003, 04:05 AM
You might try actually using a tape. Open reel would be better. Mix the song to two tracks then put the deck in rewind with the heads engaged. You might be able to do this on cassette if an open reel is not available. You'd just have to manually push the head up against the tape while rewinding.
Protools also has an option for playing audio while rewinding (under preferences) You would need to record the rewind effect to an external deck and then play it back into the session.

Naagzh
10-17-2003, 01:29 PM
I have a response for people that ask that kind of favor: "Sure, I can do anything you want. Do you have money?"

Naagzh

TVPostSound
10-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Poor mans way, record the song to a VCR, plug the VCR audio outs to your PT inputs, remove the cover of the VCR, rewind the VCR in play mode while pushing the tape against the stationary audio head.

orage
10-19-2003, 11:40 AM
In addition to simply reversing the sound file, you will also need to vary the pitch and speed as well. Start slow and with a lower pitch, then speed/pitch it up as the file starts, find a leveling off point, and then slow/pitch it back down as the file comes near the end.

Serato Pitch n' Time will give you the exact control you need to do this. Digidesign's Vari-Fi will do it as well, but won't give you much ablity to change speed vs. pitch...you could also do this pretty well from with in Live.

Hope this helps!

BesnikB
10-19-2003, 02:06 PM
have you tried the Serato Scratch?

fredsparky
10-21-2003, 08:08 PM
OK you could use a tape deck and physically rewind. Or with protools (I haven't tried this but) use Audiosuite and select a section of audio and process using reverse; then select the same passage and use Varifi to either slow down or speed up- or both.

Try it and tell us how it works!

Dutty
10-22-2003, 11:21 AM
How bout just getting out the old turntable and record audio while the turntable with record is spun backwards (by hand). This way you can control the speed and length.

mindnoise
10-22-2003, 11:57 AM
and have your recorded audio pressed to vinyl first, or what?

nothing against a good handy work, though.

MR808
10-24-2003, 12:33 AM
OK you could use a tape deck and physically rewind. Or with protools (I haven't tried this but) use Audiosuite and select a section of audio and process using reverse; then select the same passage and use Varifi to either slow down or speed up- or both.

Try it and tell us how it works!

What we wanted to do was emulate a turnble spinning backwards at one part, but we could get it to sound rite. When i use the reversing of the audio it just didnt gimme the feel of a dj spinnin the record backwords it just sounded like the audio was reversed.

we did think it was wise to spin money on pressing one piece of vynil to create this effect so we say'd bump it on this go around and once we find a way to do it we will save it for another song.

mindnoise
10-24-2003, 06:01 AM
I know what you´re talking about.
But there is a handy feature in Battery. it has a so called FX loop, that´s you can adjust the lenght and the start point of a loop snippet via midi controllers, and you can reverse the sample with a simple button click.
so you not only revert the sample but play "not reversed sample snippets" in the backward direction by moing the FX loop start point (nearly) samplewise.
This sounds quite different from anything else and downright cool.

regs

Tito Ricci Arballo
10-27-2003, 04:50 PM
I would suggest this.
Figure out how rapidly you want the music to rewind and for how long of a duration you wan't the audio to rewind.
Then compress the audio's time w/ the time trimmer. Take a longer piece and make it shorter.
Then slow down the edges a bit to mimic rapid speeding up and slowing down.
Don't use to much music to rewind unless you want it to rewind for a while. If it rewinds too fast it wont sound natural.
Of course I would just take a record and spin it backwards.

Sorry , Orange and Dutty all ready said this.