PDA

View Full Version : running protools mix w/o a digi audio interface

Avid
10-23-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Tools TDM systems do require an audio interface in order to launch Pro Tools.

One high-end solution might be the Apogee Trak2 with the addition of a Pro Tools AMBus card: http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/hardware/trak2

But I don't know how you would get around the AC requirements, unless you had an adequate battery powered DC to AC converter power supply. I'm not up on that sort of gizmo, but I imagine they exist.

fathermac101
10-23-2001, 05:09 PM
there is no audio interface emulator? like a piece of software that "tricks" protools?

fathermac101
10-24-2001, 12:24 AM
hello everyone. I am trying to put together a portable protools tdm system with the following equipment. I own an 888/24 but it is huge, takes up a lot of power, and I dont need that much i/o. I really only need 1 stereo input and one stereo output but I'd like to use the emagic emi 2/6 with the tdm bridge... keep in mind that all of this needs to run off bateries.

is there any way to fire up protools w/o a digi interface? or does digi make a small interface like the emi 2/6?

here are the specs:
titanium 500 mhz laptop
magma 2 slot w/ 1 mix 1 farm + 2 Hd's
nord micro mudular synth (2 outs)
midisport 2x2
logic audio (for sequencing + sampler) w/ tdm bridge
and the emagic emi 2-6 audio interface

mike connelly
10-24-2001, 11:04 AM
Even if you could, why would you want to run PT if you couldn't hear the audio?

fathermac101
10-24-2001, 11:20 AM
well, maybe something that would hijack the output and route it to the main stereo out on my laptop...

does protools le require a digi audio interface?

ryland b
10-24-2001, 11:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fathermac101:
well, maybe something that would hijack the output and route it to the main stereo out on my laptop...

does protools le require a digi audio interface?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, the digi001. protools free doesn't, but it is free for a reason..

-rb

ianmiller
10-24-2001, 02:08 PM
You can't do what you want with PT unless you use PT free - which has a few limitations you need to look at. If you want battery portability and are prepared to give up on TDM and PT, you can use Logic with the EMI 2/6 and a laptop. Just a thought.....

slinky
10-24-2001, 08:19 PM
this thread is funny images/icons/grin.gif

pan
10-28-2001, 07:09 PM
Digi, when will you finally release P@lmTools? images/icons/wink.gif

Tim R.
10-31-2001, 08:48 AM
I also would love to see the return of Protools "Powermix" mode. Those of us with TDM systems and laptops long to open sessions (in a limited fasion of course) on the laptop for tweaking on the road. Comping vocal tracks etc. on the train ride in to work would be great. Protools free just won't cut it.

Tim