PDA

View Full Version : Timing issues, soft samplers

joy4u
08-09-2001, 03:35 AM
What the utility to compose a rithm section (MIDI+soft sampler via Direct Connect) and then having to trim every event manually to avoid latencies (after being recorded as audiofile)?

I ended up just composing directly in the audiotracks, pasting the sounds.... (what a pain!)

It is technically possible. Don't say that digital involves automatically latencies! Because it' very easy just to COMPENSATE for them automatically: (not to mention some exemples......) PT already knows exactly the latency amount for every track. The next step is trimming the playback, or putting in a new TDM mixer plugin an autodelay line for every channel wich compensates for latencies in the background!! (ok it would eat up more DSP space, but in mid term it would be anyway a bargain!!!

Tone
08-09-2001, 07:50 AM
Logic Audio with the ESX24 TDM/ESB (running on TDM hardware) has sample accurate timing, it's the bomb for rhythm tracks. We've never looked back. You can layer complex loops etc with none of that nasty flamming from Midi.

joy4u
08-09-2001, 10:33 AM
Tone, you'r right, but i don't want to work with Logic, i hate it, i just love working within Pro Tools FROM BEGINING TO THE END OF THE PROJECT.

Another solution?

Irene
08-09-2001, 01:14 PM
I look forward to the day this gets sorted.
It makes me kind of green hearing about how well the Logic sampler integrates with TDM via the ESB! I prefer working in Pro Tools and I want the cherry too!

Dog BBQ
08-10-2001, 12:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by joy4u:
Tone, you'r right, but i don't want to work with Logic, i hate it, i just love working within Pro Tools FROM BEGINING TO THE END OF THE PROJECT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then you'll have to deal with Latency!
There have been many posts regarding auto latency compensation of plugins and the sloppy MIDI Protools has but not much has been done, many other manufactures are nipping this in the butt, the best Digi has come up with is a low latency version of Direct Connect Downloadable from here but I believe it uses more Resources!
All of this is why I haven't sold my SampleCell II card yet, very tight with loops and MIDI drum patterns! And have heard great things about Logic with their ESB system for TDM images/icons/shocked.gif