PDA

View Full Version : Good Vocal Mic Pre

clorox
06-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Any suggestions for a good mic preamp for voice under $500. I'm strongly considering the dbx Pro Vocal. I like the 24-bit S/PDIF outs.

Any other suggestions?

radioface
06-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Clorox,

Check out the summit mono mic pre. It used to be around 499 and it received good reviews...

murph16
06-12-2003, 02:23 PM
...or the DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip. It also has the S/PDIF 24 bit out, and it has a tube. images/icons/smile.gif

Duardo
06-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Don't assume just because something has S/PDIF outs that makes it any better than what you are plugging it into...

Personally, I like the Summit, don't like the dbx too much...the Focusrite VoiceMaster pro is very nice (the de-esser alone makes it worth the price) but a little out of your range. Their cheaper Penta and TrakMaster aren't bad either, and the Pre Sonus VXP is also nice (again, a little out of your price range though)...

-Duardo

rmx
06-29-2003, 07:12 AM
Check out the "RNP" from FMR Audio.

http://www.fmraudio.com/news.html

images/icons/cool.gif

metaltim
07-01-2003, 11:37 PM
I have the pro vocal... i like it alot its about 450...

tim

DonaldR
07-02-2003, 09:12 AM
The mic preamps in the Focusrite Platinum range are the same (confirmed by email from Focusrite customer support). Focusrite also confirm me that digital option board is better that Digi001 converters.

Regarding RNP, I sent 2 emails to FMR without any reply which let me thing that customer support is pretty bad. images/icons/confused.gif

rmx
07-02-2003, 06:50 PM
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Regarding RNP, I sent 2 emails to FMR without any reply which let me thing that customer support is pretty bad.

That's funny, because I've never had a problem reaching them by email or by phone.

images/icons/cool.gif

Duardo
07-03-2003, 09:42 AM
The mic preamps in the Focusrite Platinum range are the same (confirmed by email from Focusrite customer support). Focusrite also confirm me that digital option board is better that Digi001 converters. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, the preamps are the same across the Platinum range, and the Voice Master Pro uses the same optional A/D cards as the TrakMaster and the Penta. I'd agree that they sound better than the 001's converters, although in general when any manufacturer says their product sounds better than another I'd take it with a grain of salt...

Regarding RNP, I sent 2 emails to FMR without any reply which let me thing that customer support is pretty bad. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, it means that they're a very small company...

-Duardo

Hugen
07-03-2003, 11:08 AM
I have to stick up for Mark McQuilken here. His customer support is *really* good. Call him. He doesn't always answer his emails. It's a small company. It's basically his family and that's it, so it is very easy for them to get backlogged. His products are really good, and if you call him, he'll spend a long time walking through any problems you might have.

DonaldR
07-07-2003, 09:29 AM
I will call him. The RNP received so good reviews, but I want to compare (vocal & bass guitar) a RNP+RNC combo to a Trakmaster and justify the extra dollar. I'm sure the RNP+RNC will sound better. But since music recording is just my hobby, not my living...

Anyone knows where I can try a RNP in Montreal (Quebec), Canada?

Thanks

DonaldR
07-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Anyone knows where I can try a RNP in Montreal (Quebec), Canada?

Thanks

golli
07-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Check out this review:
http://www.sebatron.com/reviews.html