PDA

View Full Version : T-Racks vs Waves Masters?

Punx
08-30-2002, 08:04 PM
I've seen several threads describing both but never really a definitive opinion on why one is better than the other. i know that Waves is better than T-Racks, but is it really superior for the extra $400 price tag. The cheapest i've seen Waves is $675, compared to $289 T-Racks. Opinions? Other mastering plug-in alternatives?

doorknocker
08-31-2002, 01:54 AM
DUY EverPack, simply awesome, MAX Duy makes it easy to get the final mix to that elusive 'commercial level' ....the DUY Wide is great for adding dimension to the mix, it also contains DUY Valve (a very useful tube emulation), DUY Shape (linear multiband EQ) and Z-room reverb.(havn't really tried it yet, too busy with the rest)
There's no doubt that Waves Masters is the industry standard but the DUY Everpack actually serves me better. Most importantly, it sounds great. And no....I don't work for them....
I also just got the Jam update for Toast so now I'm able to create a Red Book standard master right here in my little sound kitchen! images/icons/smile.gif

Andi

Ben Jenssen
08-31-2002, 02:23 AM
Well. DUY PIs are very usable.
The DUY Shape is my favourite, its a kind of multiband compressor, so it can be used for mastering I guess, I havenít tried, I use it on individual instruments.
Max Duy is an OK limiter.
Z-room is a little different from other revs, but is also usable.
I havenít had any success with DUY Valve, itís extremely subtle.

But when it comes to mastering Iíve found my tool:
Waves C4.
Nothing else Iíve tried comes close!

doorknocker
08-31-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Ben Jenssen:

Max Duy is an OK limiter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry to be picky.....but Max Duy is not a limiter per se, although it can be used as such. When used right (A piece of cake if you don't overdo it) it simply maximizes the sound without any obvious (audible) limiting.
Try the snare drum preset from the Duy Valve, it can be used it not-so-subtle ways ( images/icons/grin.gif ) ..I had good results with the mix preset on a final mix, subtle but adding sparkle and punch...

Andi

IK_Jason
08-31-2002, 07:32 AM
Food for thought: T-racks is an analog mastering suite to emulate tube gear. It has it's own sound and richness to it. Waves is a great plug in, but its different than T-racks. Both are great in their own right. It all depends on what you are looking for sound wise.

Why don't you download each one and see which one fits your needs.

Just a thought.
Jason
IK Tech Support

doorknocker
08-31-2002, 08:18 AM
Food for thought: Why don't you (IK) supply a demo version that works without this extremely annoying 'protection' noise that makes me feel I'm doin' something illegeal....
Waves and Duy offer 'real' demos, they got nothing to hide...
I tested both, bought the DUY Everpack and images/icons/smile.gif
Also, IK's constant self-praise and agressive promo on this here user forum really gets on my nerves.

Andi

Punx
08-31-2002, 01:28 PM
You must be reading my mind doorknocker!! I have downloaded both demos and that's my biggest gripe with the T-Racks demo. I didn't get a good taste of it's capabilities because of the inserted white noise. Waves demo however was an incredible computer hog. Good info from everyone though, plenty to think about. Thanks!!

Bob Olhsson
08-31-2002, 05:27 PM
The WAVES stuff gives you the choice of very transparent signal processing. Character is great but in mastering a little often goes a long ways!

jmark
09-01-2002, 05:13 PM
The Waves mastering plug-ins to my ears allow more radical sonic surgery without suffering other penalties. That was very obvious to me when first mastering a mix that needed a really dramatic EQ curve.

The other (not so obvious) benefit of the linear-phase EQ is that it introduces much less "peak-uncertainty" than other EQ's, which is very important for mastering since it means less need to use post-EQ limiting to catch the peaks. You end up with more loudness and less artifacts in the final product.

With a "normal" EQ, inserting a highpass filter at some frequency between 20-30 Hz can make the peak levels higher by several dB. Doing the same with the Linear Phase EQ, you see the peak levels go up by no more than a couple tenths of a dB.

Atana
09-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Ben Jenssen:
[qb]

/qb]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry for OT, but DUY Valve is my favorite plug-in. It's extremely awesome. You really should give a chance to it more.
DUY plug-ins are all great.

Ben Jenssen
09-02-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Atana:
Sorry for OT, but DUY Valve is my favorite plug-in. It's extremely awesome. You really should give a chance to it more.
DUY plug-ins are all great.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I will!
Could you perhaps give me a clue on an application of DUY Valve that you have used. As a good place for me to start.
Do you use it as a softener of harsh sounds?
Wich valve "model" or whateveritscalled?
Do you push the "valve", when and why?
Any info is good.

doorknocker
09-03-2002, 01:11 AM
DUY Valve can be used on anything...I just mastered some tracks that were recorded with a Roland VS, I put DUY Valve on the stereo tracks, starting with the mix preset. Adjust the input and use the pusher according to taste, for a fatter sound the snare preset is a good starting point. On the master fader I had DUY Wide, DUY Shape (overall enhancer preset as a starting point) and finally Max DUY.
Works great for down and dirty mastering.
Naturally DUY Valve can also be used on individual tracks, see it as a cousin of the McDSP analog channel.
By the way, I found DUY Wide to be a good alternative to reverb on final mixes, it really brings out the room sounds of the recording.......

Hope this helps y'all!

Andi