PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Instrument Sounds?

dbrunell
06-18-2002, 09:21 PM
I have a Digi-001 on a Wintel system. It's got plenty of power- 1.4GHz Athlon w/512MB RAM.

I'm doing a volunteer project, and I'll need to record a wide variety of instrumental sounds, including jazz/pop combo, synth rock, and traditional orchestra. Equipment I have on hand include a low-end synth (Casio CTK-541), Boss DR-770 Dr. Rhythm drum machine, and a Boss JS-5 Jam Station. I also play clarinet and bass guitar.

I'm hoping to get more realistic instrumental sounds than those available on the synth- what are your recommendations (without spending an arm and a leg), to get better sounds into a Pro Tools session? I'm open to soft synths, hardware sound modules, whatever. Would something like Gigastudio be an option?

Thanks,
Doug

lwilliam
06-19-2002, 09:19 AM
It depends on your budget. For about a $1000 you can get any of several Roland, Korg, or Yamaha sound modules with a thousand or more sounds.

Giga is amazing, but will set you back at least a couple of Gs (with computer and interface).

Soft Sample Cell would also help as there are a lot of good-sounding samples available for it (orchestra, bass gtr, acoustic gtr, etc).

I just bought Reason and the 2.0 version will include a library of orchestral sounds (they aren't "amazing", but they don't cost $1500 either), but it will import AKAI samples.

I have an Emu Proteus/1 that I'll sell you cheap as I don't use it any more.

dbrunell
06-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Okay, LW, thanks for the feedback. Re: the Gigastudio- you mean you would run Giga on a different system than PT and sync up using MIDI or something? Or could Giga be run on the same system as the PT session?

Actually, my budget is close to zero right now, because I'm buying a townhouse here in San Diego. But I want to plan for future expansion of my sonic capabilities.. I think what I'll do is get my behind down to my local Guitar Center and look in the Pro Audio section. They should have a decent selection of sound modules (don't know about the software synth/sampler options, though).

One question- are the Roland, Korg, and Yamaha modules you're talking about expandable with various sample libraries? I'll take a look around at the manufacturer Web sites, too.