PDA

View Full Version : Pro tools digi 001, MAC or PC?

felixxxx
06-04-2002, 09:30 PM
I recently purchase digi 001 factory. Should I run it on MAC or a PC? Which is better?

citi
06-04-2002, 11:02 PM
yes

Rock_Artist
06-05-2002, 01:18 AM
Just do yourself a faver.
Read the DUC!
this has been discussed to many times.

Why Mac?
- More features, easier install, more 3rd part support.

Why PC?
- CHEAPER (in price v.s. performance), much more DSP power from processor, soon XP version with nice new features...

where02190
06-05-2002, 03:59 AM
Agree, learn to use the search function before posting as Digidesign requests.

Now to answer your question, Protools is a native Mac program adapted for peecee. I've worked on both platforms, the Mac is by far the better of the two.

Although you get a bit more DSP power with the peecee, the mac is faster, more reliable, and has far more available plug-ins and features.

Hope this is helpful.

WorldOfWiz
06-05-2002, 10:53 AM
then read that Digidesign say the best OS of Pro Tools is a Mac.

http://www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/

Wiz

recordingguy
06-05-2002, 05:28 PM
PC!PC!PC!PC!PC!PC!PC!PC!PC!PC!PC!

where02190
06-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Direct quote from Paul Foeckler, Director of World-Wide Marketing, Digidesign:

"When it comes to optimizing the power of Protools, no finer suitor exists than the Mac OS."

Quote source (http://www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/digidesign/)

Stone Knife
06-09-2002, 12:07 AM
They also should add, "When it comes to the red-headed stepchild we allow in the house because he has so much money, P.C."

The next release of Pro Tools LE for Win XP will incorporate several missing features and narrow the feature gap somewhat, including Direct Connect, QuickTime movie... also putting it on what is arguably the most solid PC OS to date should cut down the amount of reliability issues about which some are so fond of advertising. images/icons/wink.gif

I can't agree that the Mac is 'faster' ...certainly there are more plugs supported in the Mac platform; The PC comes in with an untouchable track and auxillary count, which is a function of system processing power.

There are good things to be said for both platforms. If you can wait until the LE/XP release you may find another compelling reason to go that way. images/icons/cool.gif

da BaSsTaRd!
06-09-2002, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by where02190:
Although you get a bit more DSP power with the peecee, the mac is faster...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you just contradicted yourself. by the way, its not a "bit more" DSP, its about 3 times as much.

where02190
06-09-2002, 06:22 AM
In the matter of personal opinion, having worked on both platforms over the years, I definitely prefer working in PT on a Mac, rock solid stabe performance, native intuitive operation, and all the horsepower I need.

Allen Hallada
06-11-2002, 08:03 AM
In the matter of personal opinion, having worked on both platforms over the years, I definitely prefer working in PT on a Mac, rock solid stabe performance, native intuitive operation, and all the horsepower I need.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree, Mac lovers should buy Macs and Windows lovers should buy Windows. So what is the question?

Allen images/icons/grin.gif

where02190
06-11-2002, 10:22 AM
Allen, the question was which is better for PT, Mac or PC. The answer according to PT manufacturers Digidesign is Mac. (See my post above with quote from Digidesign)

Rock_Artist
06-11-2002, 01:34 PM
MAC OS is THE BEST for Pro Tools...

here we're talking about Pro Tools LE images/icons/smile.gif .

As much as I like those nice TDM/Mac @ work.
When it comes to horse power the PC becomes the greatest option.
When it comes to which digi supports more...
The Mac is the most beloved platform by digi & their 3rd party.

But if you whish to run tons of plugins, tracks and etc... and don't have those 2.5k (abit more for true performance) a nice PC would acheieve in less money higher track&plugin count.

Mac users defend their macs and they're right those machines are way ahead in some field (especially digi support images/icons/smile.gif ) but can I say the TDM never crash? nah. My PC/LE & Mac/TDM seems to be reliable with no advantage to each.

The fact is... @home I cannot afford a 14k HD system so 2.5k Mac machine (933Mhz G4).
001 + Nice 1k machine (see Allen's topic on 001/PC) makes the home edit-suite hell cheap with amazing performance for price.

where02190
06-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by elijahsongs:
M
PS - How many Macs can do 24 tracks with 5 plug-in's per track plus 10 aux tracks with 5 plug in's per track? Just curious... Not that it matters... I'm never gonna use that much, but if we're flexing our muscles...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No problem exceeding that spec here...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rockartist:
[qbMAC OS is THE BEST for Pro Tools... here we're talking about Pro Tools LE

Protools LE is Protools according to Digidesign....
I'm not interested in a mine is bigger than yours, pi**ing contest, let's grow up and make music people.

Stone Knife
06-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Yours is seemingly the only one. Most Macs don't even get 24 tracks NO aux's @ 5 plugs/track. Not even close. You should go in the Mac clone biz because you've got the singing frog!
So we're on the same page here's the plugs required in the example:

Click Here (http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=32;t=001474)

Hell-o my bay-bee, hell-o mah honn-eyy hell-o my ragtime gaaaaal. images/icons/grin.gif

where02190
06-11-2002, 09:06 PM
It's actually very easy to get a Mac to preform well on the DAVEC test, provided you have it optimized for Protools only. Core extensions and control panels, allocate tons of RAM, etc. I've been able to achieve similiar results with many other Macs by creating the proper set of extensions and control panels. bit of time in The Mac Bible reading and understanding extensions, and which ones the Mac needs to operate was key. I've seen 500Mhz G-4's produce nearly the same results.

Just takes a bit of tweaking, kinda like them peecees....

elijahsongs
06-12-2002, 12:54 AM
My opinion: They both work great... however, for the price of a Mac setup you can get a PC and a great mic,pre-amp and maybe even a compressor, and the PC is faster and more powerful!!! Not many plug in's for PC though but I don't care... They both record and play back the same!

PS - How many Macs can do 24 tracks with 5 plug-in's per track plus 10 aux tracks with 5 plug in's per track? Just curious... Not that it matters... I'm never gonna use that much, but if we're flexing our muscles...

elijahsongs
06-12-2002, 12:57 AM
PS- Do you think that Digi would say otherwise regarding the Mac platform??? They've been sleeping in the same bed for a long time... Heck, they probably owe each other for both staying in business... Digi would never diss Macs... Let's be honest, Digi's first love is the Mac... bottom line: WHO CARES? My PC works great!!!

Joe Egan
06-12-2002, 05:24 AM
It's not how many plug-ins you can run, it's how good your recording will sound that is important.

When PCs can run MCDSP plug-ins, PCs will achieve sound quality parity. Until then the Mac, using MCDSP plugins is the best sounding machine.

MCDSP enthusiast!

where02190
06-12-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Joe Egan:
It's not how many plug-ins you can run, it's how good your recording will sound that is important.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A hearty AMEN to that Joe, thanks for posting!!!!!!!!!

KamaSutra77
06-13-2002, 03:21 PM
The test so often reffered to is a stupid example, as very few ( of any) will ever use a MAC daw in that manner.

The real test is can you playback 24 tracks with aux tracks- and no plugins, but with extensive editing done to real material and still have it actually work.

And PC's are definately not cheaper- go configure a dell, gateway, Hp, or alienware.

WorldOfWiz
06-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Like I said PC users spend more time tweeking and fixing their systems and mac users spend more making music.

Wiz

elijahsongs
06-13-2002, 09:39 PM
FYI - a Dell, Gateway, HP or Alienware would NOT be the computer to get for using ProTools... See the thread "Best PC for Digi001 for under $900" in the Windows Digi001 area... That was actually a while ago and the price is down to about $600! images/icons/smile.gif

That is definitely cheaper!!! images/icons/smile.gif

WorldOfWiz
06-14-2002, 12:31 AM
Mac cost less over the years.

macs cost less (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=4795)

Ok know what do you PC users have to say?? images/icons/grin.gif

Wiz

Allen Hallada
06-14-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by WorldOfWiz:
Like I said PC users spend more time tweeking and fixing their systems and mac users spend more making music.

Wiz<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That settles it I'm buying a Mac. If that thing will get me to record more I'm there. Thanks for the tip.

Allen images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif

QuikDraw
06-14-2002, 10:57 AM

It's actually very easy to get a Mac to preform well on the DAVEC test, provided you have it optimized for Protools only. Core extensions and control panels, allocate tons of RAM, etc. I've been able to achieve similiar results with many other Macs by creating the proper set of extensions and control panels. bit of time in The Mac Bible reading and understanding extensions, and which ones the Mac needs to operate was key. I've seen 500Mhz G-4's produce nearly the same results.

Just takes a bit of tweaking, kinda like them peecees....<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Originally posted by WorldOfWiz:

Wiz<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">images/icons/shocked.gif images/icons/confused.gif

WorldOfWiz
06-15-2002, 02:08 AM
Ok I didn't say Mac users don't spend anytime tweeking. I said they spend more time making music on their Mac and less time fixing and tweeking.

I have spent some time tweeking my system But not as much as a PC user.

Its been proven time and time again that Mac are more stable systems. Cost less over time and spend more time up and running than down and out.

Just look at the diffrence between the boards. Most of the Mac users talk about music things.. and Reason OS X while PC users talk about how their system is acting up. Thats a fact. While you can ignore it all you want. But its very true.

Wiz

Rock_Artist
06-15-2002, 02:32 AM
If you can,
drop by and have a chat with my work Mac/TDM so it'll act like Mac. (darn my PC influances)
till now I've seen it crash once in a while.

If the new macs so stable I wonder why Stevie add this tiny reset button... mmmm....

QuikDraw
06-15-2002, 09:20 AM
Uhhhh... Like... Um... Why does this and similar threads exist? Does Apple offer current Mac users a "friends and family" plan like the phone company? Do Mac users get some kind of a kickback for each converted PC user?

I don't care if you're using a Mac or a PC. I don't care if you're using a DAW or a rack of ADATs. I don't care if you're using a Marshall or a Mesa Boogie (or even a POD for that matter!). I don't care if you're using a real grand piano or a sampler. I don't care if you're using outboard effects or plug-ins.

It's the sound that matters! If you're happy with your Mac then fine, glad to hear it! If you're happy with your PC then fine, glad to hear it! I'm just glad to hear it!

In my 4-track cassette days nobody tried to make a Tascam convert out of me. And I was the only guy I knew that used Yamaha. I guess it all changes when you go digital. I had lots of people try to make a Tascam convert out of me when I was using ADATs!

I just don't care about it if it doesn't affect the end product... The sound!

Those Mac-only plug-ins might be nice though.... images/icons/frown.gif

Mike

WorldOfWiz
06-17-2002, 04:28 AM
If the new macs so stable I wonder why Stevie add this tiny reset button... mmmm....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well if PC are so stable why do most of the books on PC talk about making your PC more stable? Why is most of the software that sell is to help your PC become more stable???

Wiz

dpasch
06-17-2002, 02:04 PM
McDSP.

The end.

No decision there.

If you don't have them. get them.

where02190
06-18-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by KamaSutra77:
The test so often reffered to is a stupid example, as very few ( of any) will ever use a MAC daw in that manner.

The real test is can you playback 24 tracks with aux tracks- and no plugins, but with extensive editing done to real material and still have it actually work.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The test is designed to put max load on the CPU. Playing edited tracks is not nearly as cpu intensive as running plug-ins.

Originally posted by QuikDraw:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by where02190:

Just takes a bit of tweaking, kinda like them peecees....<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Originally posted by WorldOfWiz:

Wiz<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">images/icons/shocked.gif images/icons/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The tweaking to get our G-4 to perform it's optimum took about 10 minutes total. After than no additional tweaking was needed.

QuikDraw
06-18-2002, 12:18 AM

The tweaking to get our G-4 to perform it's optimum took about 10 minutes total. After than no additional tweaking was needed.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The tweaks to get optimal performance from a PC don't take 10 minutes! And a box-stock Compaq without tweaks can outperform a G4.

images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif

Mike

WorldOfWiz
06-18-2002, 11:08 AM
a box-stock Compaq without tweaks can outperform a G4.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah right I don't think there is even a PC user here that would believe that.

Wiz

mixin'chick
06-28-2002, 07:21 AM
I am on board with where02190, Joe Egan, and Dpasch.

If you can't run McDSP life is way harder and doesn't sound as good. I originally went with an AMD 1.8. Now I run a G4 466. Do I get as many plugs? No. Do my mixes sound better faster? Hell YES!

Analog Channel and Filter bank. If your not running these you are at a serious disadvantage.

FYI: The MCDsp stuff also equalizes the plug count game as well. I can run 84 counts of filter bank and still have nice meters on my 466.

MC

Machead
06-29-2002, 09:59 AM
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ARE ALL YOU GUYS CHEAP!!!???

Buy A PC. By a Mac. Use both.

..I have both and while you guys are fighting over which is better Im making MUSIC..NAAAANA! images/icons/tongue.gif

Dont use your sports car to carry around the kids use a the Van!

JMS40
06-29-2002, 01:19 PM
I do.
On top of that, can anyone with 001 for Mac get 32 tracks loaded up with plugs like we PCers can?
PT 5.3 is smooth as silk.
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> a box-stock Compaq without tweaks can outperform a G4.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah right I don't think there is even a PC user here that would believe that.

Wiz<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

WorldOfWiz
07-01-2002, 10:28 AM
can anyone with 001 for Mac get 32 tracks loaded up with plugs like we PCers can?
PT 5.3 is smooth as silk <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">loaded with what plugs? PC plug in choices are limited compared to the choices to Mac users of PT.

As far as 32 tracks. Don't worry about it since Macs will have them in about 2 months.

Wiz

BCBud
07-01-2002, 01:10 PM
If you are getting a TDM system get a Mac, if you are getting a LE system get a PC.

I am hearing a lot on this thread about "tweaking" a PC to get it to work. I spent exactly 0min0sec "tweaking" my PC w/LE and it crashes 50% less then the MAC TDM systems we have down at the studio. In actuality I think "tweaking" causes more problems then it solves.
And that post about Macs being less to "maintain" then PC's is ridiculous. How the hell is a computer that costs 3 times more cheaper? It is funny how most studies in statistics don't relate to me, anyone I know, or any post I read on any BBS site.

WorldOfWiz
07-02-2002, 02:21 AM
that post about Macs being less to "maintain" then PC's is ridiculous. How the hell is a computer that costs 3 times more cheaper? It is funny how most studies in statistics don't relate to me, anyone I know, or any post I read on any BBS site.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I guess your windows system has special fairy dust in the software.

did you read the web site with the link. This stuff has been proven over and over.

Think about it like this. Honda's cost more than a Hyundai but over the life of the car, the honda will cost less to maintain.

oh when you PC users talk price of PC you build do you count the cost of windows ($250.00)? And if you buy a pre built system do you price the cheapest PC and the most expensive Mac you can find? I guess you like to compare a $500 eMachine to a $1599 PowerMac.

Wiz

dcornutt
07-02-2002, 09:45 AM
Gartner research has data on this issue.

Not specifially for mac..because macs aren't used in widespread office environment like PC's are. But, the interesting thing was (and this doesn't go to any mac/pc debate)...you know how IT people are always saying that "user error" was the number one cause of downtime in business machines?

Turns out they were totally wrong. The vast majority of downtime on office computers is the result of software and component failure as measured by the logs.

Like I said..really this is kind of OT...to the mac/PC debate..but...if you want that kind of data....research firms are a good place to look...and specifially..technical research firms. Gartner does many types of research in this area.

So, if your interested..that's the place to look.

Macs show less component failure..etc..in the overall scheme of things...as far as numbers go...but really...it' s apples and oranges..as this data is compared to the vast number of PCs that are used in the office. ie....any given corporation might have 1500 PCs and 4 macs. So, it's hard to do a direct comparison and most firms ..don't keep a lot of records on their mac machines..because..they are usually maintained outside of corporate IT by either a vendor...or...the users themseleves.

Another rather uselsess comparo can be found at consumerreports.com. They surveyed serveral hundred thousand computer owners and asked about repair history..and component failure rate..and other experiences.

They then graphed the extrapolated result.
There were 2 criteria...inoperable failure..and broken..but still operable. (open to a lot of interpretation but this "consumer" survey shows a slightly different picture than the corporate data one)
Number 1 (meaning fewer issues of both types) Dell
2 Apple
3 HP
4 IBM
5 Compaq
6 Gateway
7 Micron
8 Acer

In tech support (meaning getting the problem solved over the phone..or resolved quickly otherwise)
1. Dell
2. Gateway
3. Apple
4. Micron
5. IBM
6. HP
7. Compaq
8 emachines

In the buying experience category
1. apple
2. dell
3. IBM
4. Micron
5. HP
6. Compaq
it goes down hill from there..with retail outlets like Walmart..costco..etc.

This is "consumer" data..from a wide range of people who bought these machines.

The testing is not scientific..but does give a broad overview of the gist of things.

This data is from last year. New results are coming in a near future issue of Consumer reports...if your interested.

For more scientific data...check out places like Gartner..etc. They also have upto min market share data..etc.

Anyway..kind of OT...but...thought some might find it interesting anyway.

dcornutt

da BaSsTaRd!
07-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by dcornutt:
The vast majority of downtime on office computers is the result of software and component failure as measured by the logs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">software error and user error are generally the same thing becuase office workers typically try to "customize" their computers with all kinds of crazy software which causes conflicts. you know what i'm talking about - those "idiot proof" programs like AOheLL and real player that act like viruses and try to take over your computer's network and run things in that background even when you're not using it.

as far as i'm concerned - that's user error and it happens as often on macs as it does on PCs.

dcornutt
07-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Usually, if someone installed something that caused the problem..it was listed as user error. Thats pretty common practice.

Software and component failure in this sense..means exactly what it says..ie..not end users fault.

English Jim
07-03-2002, 12:01 AM
dcornutt,

You make some excellent points. How many Macs are running 2 million name databases or 800 station file servers?

Comparisons re. general reliability are pretty pointless as the two platforms are not (typically) performing the same functions.

WorldOfWiz
07-03-2002, 03:28 AM
How many Macs are running 2 million name <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">databases or 800 station file servers? What does that have to do with music???? BTW I'm sure with Mac OS X I could run that.

But the point is what is the best OS for Pro Tools and when Digi says it's the Mac OS. Why even debate???

English Jim
07-03-2002, 03:37 AM
Because you brought up the "fact" that Macs are cheaper in the long run. So what does that have to do with music?

Stone Knife
07-03-2002, 10:23 PM
...up until the last post I was feeling like I'd wasted my time reading.
Thank you BCBud for injecting some reality into the rising hysteria.
I doubt if many host macs will be able to run all 32 tracks. We shall see.

WorldOfWiz
07-05-2002, 05:54 AM
I doubt if many host macs will be able to run all 32 tracks. We shall see.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">always funny to hear that since MBox doesn't run enough for PC yet

Don't forget Intel's "Fying Pentium" Ads where done on a Mac. PCs are now just fast enough to run Pro Tools Macs have always been fast enough to run PT.

English Jim
you brought up the "fact" that Macs are cheaper in the long run. So what does that have to do with music?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well I found this at the TDM forum:
Hi folks.
I spoke to someone who used to work for Emagic Scandinavia´s support department. He said although the PC business accounted for about 33% and Mac for 67% of the business, the numbers where the opposite for support.... 67% for PC and 33% for Mac. He feels it is a good move to drop the Win platform and put the resources into something more worhtwhile.
I personally think the deal will ensure Logic going OSX which is great.... my worry as a TDM user is if we will be on that train as well....
OD <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So if you make money by the hour, And your system is down. I'm sure it's going to cost you money. So as I said before, Macs cost less to maintain.

Wiz

JMS40
07-05-2002, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE] PCs are now just fast enough to run Pro Tools Macs have always been fast enough to run PT.
Wiz<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hog wash.
I've been running PT on a PC since Nov. 2000.
Although the DaveC test is not taken seriously by the Mac side, I was getting a higher track count with a P3800 than the few brave souls with G4's that participated.
I can't imagine how my old system could have been considered more stable.
My new AMD XP1600 system is going on two weeks of daily use with no crashes... and I am currently working with a 31 track session.
As has been stated, both platforms are viable and I'm not a Mac basher.
It's just amazing to me how many DAW Mac users refuse to give any validity to the PC platform... almost as if PC is a threat.
It's just silly.
Use what you're comfortable with and make music.

Paul Curtiz
07-05-2002, 11:29 AM
I'll just second JMS40,
I've been making a living (read "pay the rent, the loan for the car and a nice holiday") with PTLE on a PC with zero (read "none, zip, zilch, nada") crashes ever since PTLE was available for the PC.
I must be living in the twilight zone.
DAW dedicated PC ? Well, I surf the net, read my mail and use the studio network with a "heavily edited" session open at the same time.
Best plug-ins for Mac only ? Well, I'm a pretty happy camper with Waves 3.5 Gold, Masters, Ren Collection and Restoration X. What best plug-ins ?
All that on a measly P3 800 (tweaking time : zero - read "none, zip, etc...").
I don't care if you use a Mac or a PC, but this plain disbelief at the performance we (PC users)get sounds like you guys (Mac users) are a cult, and a scary one too.

I remember just before PTLE came out for the PC, Mac users would say with this same confidence that it would "simlpy not work" on a PC, and "get a Mac quick or you're doomed in this business"...

This is getting tiring...think I'll go record a 25th track images/icons/wink.gif

English Jim
07-05-2002, 03:11 PM
World-O-Wiz -

I like a number of others here make a pretty decent living with my Digi 001. I have never had to cancel, postpone or even slow down a session because of my Digi system.

I did a V/O session last week. Four days, 6 to 8 hours of raw footage per day. Forty five minute continuous takes. Not a hiccup. Editing said takes, I have had as many twenty or thirty edits in a 3 minute segment. Audio files have gone from 800 meg to 5 and 6 gig with all the edits. No worries. I am also doing the B/G music for this project (books on tape kind of thing). The opening theme has 22 tracks (so far - waiting for sound designer right now to add some sweetening) and more plugs than you can shake a stick at. Not a problem. Please don't worry about me losing money due to down time. Hasn't happened yet, hopefully never will.

Not sure about the revelance of the mToy comment or indeed what a "Fying Pentium" is so I will let those go.

Re. speed. I bought the Digi to run on my G4 nearly 2 years ago. I couldn't get the tracks I needed (I was copying over some previously recorded tapes and needed a certain number of tracks). I tried out in the AMD I had laying around not being used. Right out of the gate I got 2 more tracks - no tweaking, no muss, no fuss.
I built a dedicated PC DAW and have not even considered using my Mac for PTLE since.

But enough about me... Feel free to mix in a little (correct) punctuation and spell check from time to time - I am a Mac owner/user so I know spell check does exist for the Mac - if you need any help with this let me know. Some fresh and coherent arguments would be cool too.

JMS40
07-05-2002, 07:29 PM
Sorry Jim... coherency is one of my weaker suits.
Course, after the 70's, it's amazing I have a brain cell left.
Originally posted by English Jim:
Some fresh and coherent arguments would be cool too.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

English Jim
07-06-2002, 10:31 AM
JMS40 - sorry I wasn't too clear I guess - I was talking to Mr World-O-Wiz. I always understand you perfectly - which maybe says something about my state of mind images/icons/wink.gif

Of course the fact that I'm even invoved in this thread tells you I left a lot of brain cells backstage at the Rainbow theatre in around '72. images/icons/rolleyes.gif

WorldOfWiz
07-06-2002, 01:05 PM
But enough about me... Feel free to mix in a little (correct) punctuation and spell check from time to time - I am a Mac owner/owner so I know spell check does exist for the Mac - if you need any help with this let me know. Some fresh and coherent arguments would be cool too. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well Jim you do have a point. But since most of my posts have been left between 2 to 6 am. After sessions or coming back from a nightclub. I'm not worried about that.

Since you went the low road, took a shot at me let me take a shot at you. On second thought. Nevermind, I'm better than that.

Wiz

JMS40
07-07-2002, 12:56 AM
That's REALLY scary!
I rarely understand myself and have even gotten into the habit of heckeling myself onstage.
"Jeez you're lame... what do ya mean you don't know any Britney Spears! You suck".
Originally posted by English Jim:
I always understand you perfectly - which maybe says something about my state of mind images/icons/wink.gif

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

da BaSsTaRd!
07-07-2002, 07:14 AM
...On second thought. Nevermind, I'm better than that...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!

mac = slow, overpriced, obsolete hardware with an interface everybody loves (and some worship)..

pc = cutting edge, massively powerful and CHEAP hardware (thanks adam smith) with quirky OS thats getting better but lacking some general support in the audio community...

solution = mac OS11 that runs on pc! everybody wins! cheap, powerful hardware with great software support (plugins availability, etc)

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!

Allen Hallada
07-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by WorldOfWiz:
...On second thought. Nevermind, I'm better than that...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!

mac = slow, overpriced, obsolete hardware with an interface everybody loves (and some worship)..

pc = cutting edge, massively powerful and CHEAP hardware (thanks adam smith) with quirky OS thats getting better but lacking some general support in the audio community...

solution = mac OS11 that runs on pc! everybody wins! cheap, powerful hardware with great software support (plugins availability, etc)

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Brian,
I was thinking that was what we were getting with the WinXP upgrade. Certainly better stability and faster on most of my apps. Haven't tried it yet with PTLE. Time will tell if the support comes.

Allen images/icons/wink.gif