PDA

View Full Version : Tempo change

Bill Sanders
05-18-2002, 09:05 AM
If I am using drum loops and say I have a loop of 120 BPM but I want it to be 125 BPM. Is there anyway in pro tools that you are able to change the tempo of a loop? I am using PC version of Pro tools 5.1.1. Appreciate any advise you have. Thanks

Mike F
05-18-2002, 09:11 PM
yes you can, using a plugin like serato pitch n time, or similar time stretch plug.
I use Acid on a PC to make loops lock up to whatever tempo I want.

axmen
05-19-2002, 07:46 PM
I just had to speed up a whole song from 96 bpm to 98bpm, so I tried a bunch of stuff. Of course, time/compession expansion plugin will work, and probably be pretty good for a short drum loop. I was very happy with Serano pitch n time you just type in the currnet bpm and the one you want, it does the conversion and bam - it sounds a lot better than the digi plug in my opinion.

Munxcub
05-19-2002, 11:31 PM
i've tried slowing down a song i have recorded. i have it all mixed and bounced to a stereo file. used the time comp/epx audiosuite plugin and it seems to phase and get out of sync... any way to prevent that? i only slowed it by 3-4 BPM

Robert U
05-20-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Munxcub:
i've tried slowing down a song i have recorded. i have it all mixed and bounced to a stereo file. used the time comp/epx audiosuite plugin and it seems to phase and get out of sync... any way to prevent that? i only slowed it by 3-4 BPM<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No. Not with the digidesign timestretcher. It works on some stuff but I've found it unusable on a whole mix. Pitch'n Time is the way to go.

-Robert

Bill Sanders
05-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Thanks for your info guys, I am going to check out this Serano Pitch N Time. Sounds like what I need. I appreciate all the knowledgable people who use this site it makes using a great program like pro tools even better. Thanks. images/icons/smile.gif

Bill Sanders
05-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Unfortunetly, this plug-in is out of my price range. Sounds good though, I got it priced for $730. Maybe I'll see one pop up used somewhere in the future. Thanks. I guess there is no alternative to this. Or if you know of any cheaper programs that will do this, please let me know. Thanks images/icons/frown.gif

Bill Sanders
05-20-2002, 02:31 PM
I downloaded the demo for Serato. I used it on a loop and when I tried to play it back it gave me dae error 9131. Any suggestions on what I need to do or what could be wrong. I ran scandisk a couple of days ago.

jamlaw
05-20-2002, 03:30 PM
don't know why the plug won't work, but I have found that if you use these plugs (even the digi time comp explansion) you will get better results if you only do a short piece of music at a time then edit it all back together later. Like do the intro, then verse, then chorus, etc. It takes forever, but you won't get the speeding up and slowing down vibe then.

Re: using it on the drum loop, I think the digi time compression plug will work ok for you, try it

Bill Sanders
05-20-2002, 04:39 PM
I just tried the time compression plugin a little bit ago on a small drum loop. I can't figure out how it works. I followed the example on the meat & potatoes on the digizine magazine page but I still can't hear any difference I don't know if is even doing anything or not. I can't tell any difference. Is there a better guideline to go by. I found nothing on the digidesign plug-in pdf files. If someone can type in some easy instructions for a PC user to use the time-compression plug that came with the protools cd I could appreciate it. Once I see how it works I'm sure it will be cool. Im basically working with small loops anyway. I even tried the pitch change, I could hear it changing the pitch and slowing it down in preview but when I processed it. The loop was the same as when I started, can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Help please. images/icons/confused.gif

Bill Sanders
05-25-2002, 09:43 PM
Got it figured out now. Thanks.

lwilliam
05-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Have you tried Recycle? It works great for drum loops. You can change the tempo and save as an aiff or wav file. I bought mine for about $140.

Bill Sanders
05-26-2002, 07:41 PM
I've been kind of checking it out. How are the sounds, does it sound like real live drums. Also I am wondering if anyone knows anything about discrete drums. I bought a drum loop disk on ebay a couple of weeks ago for $10, it's packaged like a small outfit. But the sounds were great and it was a live drummer. I just have to cut and paste breaks and whatever. For the quality I thought it was a real bargin. It was put out by Wunderland Studios. Thanks for the info I'll keep looking into that program.

lwilliam
05-30-2002, 10:45 AM
I think there's a demo of Recycle that you can download. It's on the Propellerheads site.

You can rip the files from your sample CD and import them into Recycle. I don't think the demo allows you to save. It may also limit you to only the "demo" files they give you, but you'll at least get a feel for how easy it it to use.

The sound quality depends entirely on the sound quality of the loops you use. You can change the tempo easily 10 bpm in either direction with no real artifacts, and on some loops, up to 20bpm.