PDA

View Full Version : A great new Pro tools book...

protoolsuser
05-15-2002, 02:00 PM
just bought a book called "A Musicians Guide to Protools" and have to say that it is well worth a look if you want to get in-depth with protools. It covers everthing from basic recording to extreme editing, as well as mixing within pro tools and using plugins to create neat effects. It is written by guy named John Keane, who works with R.E.M, Widespread Panic, The Indigo Girls...so he definitely seems to know what he's doing! Anyway I thought I would pass that along if you are interested! BTW, the book is available at www.supercatpress.com (http://www.supercatpress.com)

mixin'chick
06-28-2002, 07:32 AM
Not trying to be a basher!
I just disagree with the above post.

I found this book to be mostly a re-write of the manual.

If you don't read manuals, buy the book.
If you do read manuals, don't.

I would encourage all to a least pick it up at the store and paruse the pages.

GC keeps it on the shelf.

MC

Sofine
07-01-2002, 03:28 AM
Hi,

Gotta agree with mixin'chick. I found the book to be most basic in its approach (contrary to many reviews on amazon) and didn't really offer me anything new. Disappointed.

However, for a complete beginner, it might offer some insights that the manual won't.

I think there's a CD with it too with some session tutorial files that offer hands on learning - pretty basic lessons, but again a good way to grasp the basics.

Not recommended for anyone reasonably comfortable with PT.

Frank S
07-01-2002, 05:41 AM
I wouln't buy this crap for a minute. ProToolsuer is another one in an alarming series of people joining the DUC, posing as members, and SPAMMing us with adverts on their products. IK Multimedia did it regularly to generate a buzz about Amplitube and now these guys with this book. What a load.

Here's the recent posts for the above "DUCer" who seems to have joined the DUC on May 15th for the sole purpose of telling us all about this 'great new book':

1 For anyone interested in using/learning Protools.... (post #000010) Pro Tools LE for Mac - Digi 001 - Mbox - ToolBox 05-16-2002
2 A great new Pro tools book... (post #000000) Pro Tools Host Tips & Techniques 05-15-2002
3 For anyone interested in using/learning Protools.... (post #000002) Pro Tools LE for Mac - Digi 001 - Mbox - ToolBox 05-15-2002
4 For anyone interested in using/learning Protools.... (post #000000) Pro Tools LE for Mac - Digi 001 - Mbox - ToolBox 05-15-2002

Seems pretty purposeful to me. What do you guys think?

nolar8
07-01-2002, 10:19 AM
So i am a new jack....

What book should i get.
I like the bashing and all but i still need some sort of reference guide.

Jerell
07-02-2002, 11:36 AM
Highly Recommened:
Music Production for Pro Tools 5.1

i also think focal press is releasing a post version but im not sure when

WorldOfWiz
07-03-2002, 03:39 AM
get the manual. I have the Pro Tools for music production and it always says to look up manual.

Wiz

nolar8
07-03-2002, 08:06 AM
where the hell can you find a manual.
you'd think that one would come with the 1000 dollar package.
acrobat manual....yeah thats fun.

Rock_Artist
07-03-2002, 01:23 PM
Some "logical" resources to learn PT:

* Just get PT (free,le,tdm whatever you can afford) and USE it. a lot of the learn process is exprience.

1. The Manual.
2. The DUC!
3. DigiZine (This new magazine explains from skretch basic usage).
4. Get the Digi DVDs for FREE! they have lotsa tricks being used by any pro (tools) user.

Stone Knife
07-03-2002, 10:09 PM
where the hell can you find a manual <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">?

Right here at the Digi online store, AKA the Digistore. It's about $35.00.

Click Here (http://secure.digidesign.com/index.cfm?page=products_index&CategoryID=12)

Gingley
10-08-2002, 06:23 AM
How do you get the Digi DVDs for free?

J Blazin
10-09-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Rock_Artist:
Some "logical" resources to learn PT:

* Just get PT (free,le,tdm whatever you can afford) and USE it. a lot of the learn process is exprience.

1. The Manual.
2. The DUC!
3. DigiZine (This new magazine explains from skretch basic usage).
4. Get the Digi DVDs for FREE! they have lotsa tricks being used by any pro (tools) user.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

GORILLA
10-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Franky S! images/icons/grin.gif Franky S! images/icons/grin.gif Franky S! images/icons/grin.gif You must be right the guy hasn't posted a reply.

Anyway, before I got my 001 awhile back...Digi had a VHS of two guys doing a session/ tracking-processing- loop recording- mixing and mastering. If Digi still has them, the tape was very informative for myself, plus you can SEE those guys at work on the 001.

WorldOfWiz
10-09-2002, 11:26 PM
Oh that Digi 001 DVD that had the behind the scenes for that wack song. I LOVE that DVD. I learned a few things from it. I also learned that just because you have Pro Tools it dosn't mean you are a great producer.

Wiz

fful@conncoll.edu
10-10-2002, 07:40 AM
We have a student Mac lab with an MBox, ProTools LE, and some copies of ProTools Free.

What would be the best manual for beginners to get them started? The Official Pro Tools LE manual seems a little too much for beginners.

Most of these students will be "self-taught".

Thanks,
Frank Fulchiero
Connecticut College

Axgrindr
10-11-2002, 10:51 AM
There are many analog resorces on the web covering REC & Post Prodution techniques that are free to D\L as a text file. images/icons/cool.gif

dodo
10-11-2002, 01:36 PM
Just like the person who started this post I got this book as an additional reference manual when I bought PT. I found the book to be very basic and helpful which is exactly what a newbie needs. The PT reference manual is very difficult for a beginner. Also this book has step by step lessons which are very helpful in a developing PT user.

Frank S. it seems that you want to bash it because you an old PT user who now has an attitude for beginners. This is by far the best beginner book. If you don't agree then post some other reference manuals "for beginners". Otherwise put up a post telling all beginners that this book is worthless and to give you a call because you would be glad to help out everyone who bought PTs recently. Then put up your phone number. I feel offended because you bash the book but don't offer any suggestions for beginners. Most newbies look up to people like you for good advice and help. Of course this book is useless to you but to many others it would be a great help. Have you seen the book? I'd say not! If you read it and this is your review I'll apologize and respect you opinion. Otherwise review it for a beginner which is the market for this book.

WorldOfWiz
10-11-2002, 03:46 PM
The guy who started this post is the guy who wrote the book. He is putting on a act.

Wiz

dodo
10-12-2002, 07:15 AM
How do you know? images/icons/confused.gif

jace b
10-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Dear dodo,

how do you know? images/icons/confused.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Have you ever heard of SPAM?

It's not just an after school snack you know. And sometimes it's actually done well... for example this entire thread.

It's kind of obvious by the lack of response on the part of "protoolsuser", that this is a well placed ad.

By the way you are giving a strong defense to a guy not under attack. He wouldn't be a "friend" would he?

I'm not picking on you dodo, I just think the whole thread is funny...in fact I'm just as funny for even writing this!

Ha, jokes on me.

Hell, send me the damn book!

jace

WorldOfWiz
10-14-2002, 12:01 AM
How do you know? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Because the Digifariy told me so.

Wiz

dodo
10-14-2002, 01:31 PM
Ha! That's good Wiz. images/icons/wink.gif

audio junkie
10-15-2002, 01:37 AM
I'm going to mention this crap to John Keane next time I run into him. Its annoying.

Alvin
10-15-2002, 06:27 AM
A great source I have found is the monthly protools article in Sound on Sound Magazine, as they assume you allready have the manual, so concentrate on sprcific areas such as setting up a mix and submix for a band recording, using fades, playlists etc.. They also try and include quick tips which tend to be keyboard shortcuts or alternative ways of achieving the same goals.

This is a UK magazine, but I assume it's available in the US.

sound_sun
10-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Alvin:
A great source I have found is the monthly protools article in Sound on Sound Magazine, as they assume you allready have the manual, so concentrate on sprcific areas such as setting up a mix and submix for a band recording, using fades, playlists etc.. They also try and include quick tips which tend to be keyboard shortcuts or alternative ways of achieving the same goals.

This is a UK magazine, but I assume it's available in the US.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Or you can just go on over to their web site at...

Sound on Sound (http://www.sospubs.co.uk/)

You'll only be able to look at issues that are more than 6 months old unless you're a subscriber but there's still a lot of useful info to be had.

--Phil

dodo
10-15-2002, 02:33 PM
John Keane would love this publicity. Everything aside I found the book very helpful and he is coming out with a second book that will be more involved than the first one. I emailed them and there isn't a release date yet.

Anyone know of any other books that are helpful. I thought "Producing in the home studio with Pro Tools" sucked for me. Not much Pro Tools info. Mostly Music Biz info.

BlackOctopus
12-10-2002, 11:07 PM
I'll take 54 copies please...!
I will definitely get a copy because it sounds perfect for me..i have had an MBox for 2 weeks and have just finished reading the 700 page acrobat manual...which is far too 'dry'..like all manuals i suppose..One question i do have for Digi...Why o why is this site so hard to get around???? Why is there no seperate section for MBOX....001...002 etc...I know that the LE software differs slightly form the 001 software..there is a world of difference between me and my diddy little Mbox..and the 002 user..do you not agree??

DesertDude
12-13-2002, 07:06 AM
Hello Octopus, Mbox,001,002 all use LE software its all the same accept for the I/O configuration...

that said there are many other ways to learn LE

training videos (http://www.kagimedia.com/TrainingVideos/TrainingVideos.html)

cool school online training (http://www.coolschoolonline.com/start/)

Digidesign QT demo training (http://www.digidesign.com/demos/qt_tour/index.cfm)

have fun on the journey images/icons/wink.gif

images/icons/cool.gif

The Mighty Burner
12-16-2002, 05:59 AM
I highly recomment "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools", written by Dave Franz and published by Berklee Press. It's a very good book and written in easy to understand language (david's got a knack for simplifying and explaining otherwise intimidating and technical concepts). The book is used as a textbook in Berklee's production and engineering dept., and it makes a great companion to the PT manual.

bassbuddy
12-21-2002, 08:00 AM
I am doing sessions at this one studio and I asked the head engineer if he was available to tutor me for a reasonable price. He consented and we agreed on a start date.

I am a very busy guy, and what is cool about the tutoring concept is that you can have someone who is experienced navigate you through the whole editing process, and he can show you short-cuts and keep me away from manuel burn-out. I've been using the giant PT manuel, and to me that is the best one to stick with...

Otherwise, the investment in tutoring will pay off big time and save me time.. images/icons/smile.gif

Joy and peace be multiplied to all.....

Kenny

Dopamine
12-24-2002, 10:58 AM
Just wondering how much the guy charges to tutor you.

bassbuddy
12-24-2002, 01:17 PM
$ 30.00 an hour , which I think is reasonable...

Have a peaceful Holiday dude.... images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif

Kenny

digi001user
12-28-2002, 10:41 AM
Also try out John Keans other new releases...

1.) How to win friends and influence idiots - into buying your press materials..
2.) How to spam informative discussion groups.
3.) How to look unobtrusive in these groups..
4.) How to get free advertisement , and get your buddy to back you up..I won't mention your name DODO.. I promise..
5.) How to sell the eskimo's ice water...
6.) How to plagerize existing manuals from manufactures of said equipment...

and many other fun reading yet un-orignal books...
images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/grin.gif

dodo
12-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Good one! images/icons/tongue.gif images/icons/wink.gif images/icons/rolleyes.gif images/icons/tongue.gif

I'll be sure to mention this to him next time I see him. Kidding!

Another good book on mixing is The mixing Engineers Handbook. Just got it. Hey I can't help it. I'm into professional development. I think it'd be B..? O..? something. He's a good friend too. I'm ashamed I can't remember his name.

images/icons/cool.gif images/icons/tongue.gif

Siberian
02-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Mighty Burner, I have that book. I bought it mainly as a primer because I don't even have protools yet... I am new to engineering. I am just using it for now to try and understand the basics of protools and what it can do. It also included protools free disc.

neatguys
02-02-2003, 06:50 AM
I bought Steven Robacks Protools for mac and windows. It uses alot of screenshots so its easy to digest.Basicly needed something to read on the throne!
Those dvds are a big help also if your a newbe or an oldbe.Look under products and you will see the dvd option.They are free!!

I thought it was cool when ik multimedia got a buzz going about there products on this forum.
They have done alot for us windows users by giving us sampletank rtas and the cool amplitube.
So you leave jason alone!!! images/icons/wink.gif He has personally helped me a couple of times and I dig that alot.

I have no problem with people enlightening us with there products or services (like the guy from sweetwater)