PDA

View Full Version : Easy one for the Pro's

Beto
03-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Let's say you've recorded a vocal track and the wave looks something like this:
---||||||||---|||||---||||||||---------||||--
(the horizontla lines represent sections were ther is no singing and the vertical lines represent sections were there is singing). My questions is, how do you delete the sections were there is no singing? And if you do delete the sections are they completely removed or do they just stay there as empty sections of data that are taking up disk space? How can you delete them so that they are completely gone in order to save disk space. Please help. Thanks in advnace.

Rob Macomber
03-06-2002, 08:46 PM
After you have edited your regions to your liking, select the parent sound files of those regions in the audio regions bin, and choose compact selected from the audio regions bin pop down menu. Be aware of leaving enough audio on the ins and outs of your regions for any cross fades you have created. ( padding )

Rob

Beto
03-06-2002, 09:44 PM
Thanks Rob.

So this is what I did, I selected the regions that had no singing and hit Ctrl>B (Clear). So now my wave looks something like this:
||||| |||||| |||| |||||||| ||||
In other words I cleared out all the dead areas. So your saying all I have to do now is compact my audio and the dead areas will be permanently gone?

Stone Knife
03-07-2002, 01:48 PM
That's right.
The Compact Selected command deletes unused portions of audio files to conserve disk space, and to prepare for cleaner hard drive back-ups.
The Compact Selected command deletes audio if there are no regions referencing the data.

Because it permanently deletes audio data, the Compact Selected command should be used
only after you have completely finished your editing and are sure that you have no further use for the unused audio data.

Beto
03-07-2002, 05:29 PM
Mr. Knife......YOU ROCK!!! Thanks man!

sessiondude
03-07-2002, 05:43 PM
Wouldn't strip silence work for this? images/icons/rolleyes.gif

bigfrog
03-09-2002, 02:41 AM
Strip Silence does work for this. If you discover you've stripped something important you can trim the regions it creates as long as you do it before any compacting or deleting.

I would be inclined to use Strip Silence on a rhythm/drum track - I like to do vocals 'by hand' like Beto. Personal preferences.....

images/icons/smile.gif