PDA

View Full Version : Behringer or Sound Forge for Mastering 001?

Eric Heil
11-19-2001, 08:24 AM
I am looking for a mastering device or software suite to use with my 001 project studio.

I am teetering between Sound Forge 5.0 (another host based record/process program) or the Behringer DSP 9024 Ultradyne multiband compressor. Both are in the same price range. Sound Forge has some great bundled FX and features but the Behringer is hardware based and has it's own 24 bit DSP and SPDIF In/Out (never leaves the digital domain!). No host processing means no added CPU overhead or conflicts with Digi 001!

Or... is there something else out there for the $2-300.00 range that I should consider?

What's your $0.02 ? images/icons/tongue.gif

Eric Heil
11-19-2001, 08:26 AM
E-mail me and let me know images/icons/tongue.gif

[email protected]

s.d. finley
11-19-2001, 09:12 AM
Emagic's WaveBurner Pro, its a great 2 track mastering app. Uses vst plugins.
www.emagic.de (http://www.emagic.de)

sdf

Eric Heil
11-19-2001, 02:34 PM
I guess I should have specified that I am using Digi 001 on a Windows 98 system. I don't have enough $dough to affor d a Mac YET ! ! ! images/icons/frown.gif

Mr_Seven
11-19-2001, 08:08 PM
T-Racks! (http://www.t-racks.com)

Eric Heil
11-21-2001, 06:14 PM
I checked out the T-rackS site and it looks like it will be a great product when it becomes an RTAS plugin. Then you will have more levels of un-do than the 0 it has now.

By then it will me far more than $300.00

Eric images/icons/shocked.gif

Mr_Seven
11-23-2001, 07:15 PM
He doesn't know what he want or why. That's why he's asking questions here. Hopefully, he'll listen, learn and make a good decision when it come to buying and engineering.

da BaSsTaRd!
11-23-2001, 10:47 PM
the best reason for doing your mastering in PT is the fact that you get full automation over every aspect of the software. that's why i use PT. there's always a solo that needs to be eq'd a bit or a heavy part where you need to tweak the compression a little. in PT, you just choose the parameter you want to automate and pencil in the automation....

i usually put the following on the master track: C4, pultec eq, S1, maxim (if its a really low mix) and L1.

then on the master audio track, i'll use touch up eq with Q4 or Q10 and audio track. sometimes a touch of extra reverb doesn't hurt if its in the right place.

t-racks is great. i've tried it out, but you can't automate it the way that you could if it were a PT plugin.

da BaSsTaRd!
11-23-2001, 10:49 PM
i forgot - most of those finalizer type hardware units have midi and you can automate virtually every parameter from within PT with those things also....

Larsfrommars
11-24-2001, 12:19 AM
Why do you want a mastering suite as a RTAS plug-in? Anything i'm missing here?

Larsfrommars
11-24-2001, 04:55 AM
I was asking because i understand Eric's posts as if he wanted to apply the mastering tools in the mix.
You CAN apply them in the mix, but i wouldn't call it mastering. Its still mixng process IMO. Mastering as i understand it, and i might be wrong here, is the process of making your mix translate better for a given media like CD. You also use mastering to make your mix's work together -say you have 12 mixes for a CD. You don't want them to be all over the map soundwise and you want the loudness to be on the same level. My opinion is that without years of experience you can't really do that in the mix, unless you have plenty of time to trial and error.

da BaSsTaRd!
11-24-2001, 08:42 AM
how do you get years of experience anyway? you can't get to step 3 without starting at step 1.....

Last
11-24-2001, 11:03 PM
You guys are not talking about the same thing here.Yes,its silly to master out of a mix(multitrack),what debastard is saying,quite correctly,is that PT is a great app for mastering,but he is refering to the process in the sense of opening a mastering session.Such a session could be done in a couple of ways,but the most common is to have 2 stereo tracks,and one master fader.Obe st track will carry all the tracks for the cd,one after the other,with the plugins used on it,the other will be a duplicate ,but clean.But there are many other ways to do it too.

I am only trying to clarify here.Mastering from the mix is silly and nobody is advocating it.

8mmOverdose
11-24-2001, 11:21 PM
I use wavelab for mastering. i have been using it since it first hit the market 5 or 6 years ago. i prefer it to soundforge. however, i see no reason for not being able to master directly in pro tools. once your project is mixed down to 2 tracks, bring it back into pro tools and use the same processors (compression, eq, limiting, etc) that you would use with wavelab or soundforge. you have all of the same tools to master in pro tools (cut, paste, fades, raise/lower levels, etc) as you would with soundforge. it might be a good idea to spend the money on rtas plug ins for pro tools and do your mastering with it.

flouden
11-26-2001, 06:47 AM
I hope a real beginner can offer his $0.02 worth here. This discussion seems to be along the same lines of a question I posted earlier today.

I am having aa hard time getting a signal that is as loud as the ones on a commercial CD when I burn a finished session to disk.

I had heard that keeping mixing and mastering separate is a most common practice. So, in pursuit of some software to allow me to master my final mix I recently (in the last week) purchased a copy of iZotope's Ozone. Now since Ozone is directx, I also bought a copy of Sound Forge from which I can use the Ozone plugin. I cannot comment extensively because this darned daytime job keeps interfering but I can say that the first experiments I have had time to conduct look very promising.

BTW, even if you aren't looking for any software at the moment or if you've had great success using PT for mastering, Ozone's user manual is a good reference for anyone new to mastering. It's available at http://www.izotope.com

I've got so much to learn it's always a treat to find a forum like this for discussion. I already owe you all a big "Thank You!".

8mmOverdose
11-26-2001, 02:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by flouden:
I had heard that keeping mixing and mastering separate is a most common practice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to clarify, mixing and mastering ARE seperate steps. You mix all of your "individual" tracks down to 2 track stereo. Then add the icing to the cake with final eq, compression, limiting, whatever. It wont be the same combination for every project. The waves rtas plug ins should offer all effects you need to master your stuff in plte. As I said before, I uööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö ööööööööööööö This is not possible with a program like T- Racks. If you are recording your own music and not under any time constraints, I don't think you have to worry about something like this. Once again, I suggest using the $ for something like the wave bundle and doing it all in ptle.

Cinemafixer
11-26-2001, 03:22 PM
Why not bounce all of your tracks to 2 track 24 bit, open a new session, and import each track to a separate stereo pair of tracks. That way, you can at least have 12 of your tracks all up and in front of you for quick comparison, you still have the option of using automation if you want to, and you have all of the editing features of PT at your fingertips.... I dunno works for me.

Nigil
11-29-2001, 06:15 AM
I have used Sound Forge for mastering for ~2-3years. When I picked up the PTLE setup I found myself still prefering SF. I bounce to disk to a wave format, then open it in SF and go from there. I find automation is not necessary when mastering, its only 2 tracks! If you need to bring out a guit solo, go back to PTLE and do it rt the first time! You don't want to have the EQ changing from one section to another! Good luck, Nigil

Eric Heil
11-29-2001, 11:42 PM
Well... Thanks for all of your responces!

I finally decided to go with the Behringer DSP9024 Ultra Dyne Finalizer. It has 6 selectable bands of (look ahead) compression, a program intelligent gate, an ultramizer normalizing sub routine, an aural exciter, and a selectable tube compression modeler and it's 24 bit.

I also got the AES/EBU option to send back and forth to Digi via SPDIF (stays in the digital domaine). Although, I haven't installed that part yet.

I use it like a plugin via one of the i/o inserts on the master fader and bounce to disc fully mastered without changing rate or depth more than once! I usually run my sessions 48KHz at 24 bit. As we all know Red book CD is 44.1KHZ at 16 bit.

Since the Behringer is 24 bit like Digi, all I loose is the decimal fraction at the end of 24 bit word length from Digi to the Behringer and back.

So far I'm quite impressed with it's sonic clarity and features. In 20 minutes it took a mix I had labored over for weeks with plugins to try and "pump up the volume" and made it something worth listening to! I had to put an EQ, compressor and limiter on thöööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööönt.

Eric images/icons/grin.gif

P.S. Nice to hear form you again dA BaStArd!

Eric Heil
11-29-2001, 11:55 PM
I think I should also clarify that I DO keep the mix and master sessions separate.

First I try to get the mix as good as I possibly can with NO FX on the master fader.

Once I have the session well balanced ONLY THEN do I save the session under a sub name of the original and add the mastering FX to that. It only makes sense to master in your session because everything is right there if you need to tweak an individual channel.

Besides, It takes one more step out of the process if you only have to bounce once intead of bouncing over (not nessisarily DOWN) and then importing the files back into a sparate masterng session.

That's my $0.02

Eric images/icons/tongue.gif