PDA

View Full Version : zipping files prior to backup

MrMike
09-17-2001, 01:04 PM
I use HP Simple Backup to backup my audio folders once I have exited PT. Some of my tunes are 9 minutes long and one song in particular takes 8 CDs to backup. Will Winzip cause any problems if I zip then backup? any other recommendations? 8 CDs takes a looooooong time! MrMike

ReniuR
09-17-2001, 02:57 PM
File compression won't hurt your sessions. I use winrar with the multimedia option checked to compress my sessions. Never had a problem from it, and it can automaticly split the archive for you.

MrMike
09-21-2001, 10:28 PM
what is winrar and how do you get it? do you have any experience with winzip? I suppose I could zip it/back up the zip/reload the zip/unzip/load session into PT and see if it works......

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ReniuR:
File compression won't hurt your sessions. I use winrar with the multimedia option checked to compress my sessions. Never had a problem from it, and it can automaticly split the archive for you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ReniuR
09-23-2001, 11:22 PM
You can get it from www.winrar.com (http://www.winrar.com)

It works almost exactly like winzip, except that it has multimedia compression (I don't know what it does different, but it makes a big difference in file size) and can split the archive for you based on the size you tell it. The archive splitting is why I use it over winzip. (for those "king size" sessions)