PDA

View Full Version : Trim... what should it be used for ?

OgnKog
06-28-2001, 01:16 AM
Hi all,

i've seen that in 5.1.1 there is a new plugin called Trim, actually it's only a slider that lowers volume, you can also change the phase... but... what is this usefull for... i mean, we've been talking about plugin latency and things like that so, why would you people use it ?!?!?

Thanks.

KamaSutra77
06-28-2001, 06:29 AM
hey dont we all need a little trim?

lwilliam
06-28-2001, 10:02 AM
Here's how I'm going to use it (I just installed 5.1.1 last night, so haven't tried it yet).

Often, when I'm near the end of a mix, I'll want to nudge a track's overall volume up or down a db or so. Instead of highlighting the entire volume automation "line" for the track, I've been putting a 1-band eq on the track to easily control the overall level (and keep the eq flat). Unfortunately, the 1-band eq can't boost the level - only decrease the level. The trim plugin has a boost of 6db as well as a cut. It will save me a fair amount of time in those final mixing stages.

lwilliam
06-28-2001, 01:16 PM
Thanks, Paul. images/icons/smile.gif

Unless I'm missing something, the Gain plugin is audiosuite only. It doesn't operate in real time (RTAS). Using Gain, you have to re-write the whole file which takes a lot longer than just nudging a slider.

PeeTee
06-28-2001, 11:52 PM
It's easiy to use the Trim plugin when all you wanna do is flip the phase on the drum overheads, guitars etc...instead of using EQ1.

Paul Curtiz
06-29-2001, 12:01 AM
Lwilliam,
I just love the way you explain things :
clear, to the point and accurate.
Just thought I'd thank you for all the useful tips I've been getting from your posts.

Cheers from Belgium,
images/icons/smile.gif

Natas
06-29-2001, 12:46 AM
so how is this different from the "gain" plug-in then?