PDA

View Full Version : Control 16?

perceptivesounddesign
09-19-2002, 09:21 AM
I'm hoping against hope here, but just thought I'd put this out: The size of my studio desk precludes the use of a Control 24. I also don't need 24 mic pres, or even 24 faders all that often. 16 faders would be a perfect compromise for me. Jeez, how about blowing off the analog inputs altogether except for a comprehensive monitoring section? The inputs are what the Pro Tools I/O units are all about, after all. And throw a joystick in for surround panning while you're at it...

So my question is, is Digi/Focusrite considering making a scaled down version of the Control 24? Something halfway between a HUI and a Control 24 would be perfect. I think that I'm going to buy a HUI instead, but I am incredibly nervous that Digi will drop support for it in the next rev or two...

Nick images/icons/confused.gif

R SCHLESINGER
09-19-2002, 09:33 AM
i have heard similiar complaints, about the mere size of the c24. please don't get me wrong. the c24 is a good unit, but i do agree that overall size of the unit is a little large for what it is. there could be more channels in that amount of space.
i have also heard others mention that the lack of inserts is a turn off.(plug-ins are not a replacement for quality outboard gear)
then again, let's face it, it's not an ssl or a neve.

of course one should select their equipment first and then their furniture.

------
RADAR

perceptivesounddesign
09-19-2002, 10:39 AM
Oh jeez, stupid me. I knew I did something wrong. I built a studio before the Control 24 existed, and bought an Argosy desk to fit.

Well, after reading about a stream of Control 24 problems (the paint! the monitoring gain structure! Calgon, take me away!) I think I'll be looking at separate products to do the separate functions I need - possibly a Radikal SAC-2.2 for fader control, and a Studio Technologies StudioComm box for surround monitoring. Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about using the SAC unit with Pro Tools?
images/icons/wink.gif

newburysound
09-19-2002, 05:26 PM
For cryin' out loud, Look at what you get for five thou and change. Too big for your room? What are you working out of a broom closet? Don't you do bussing or aux returns? Sixteen channels would only cover a small number of sessions we typically do. We've had the C24 for a couple of years and there's no way I'd want to part with it. There are new features I'm still discovering about it. The notion of dealing with the myriad potential incompatibility issues and lack of third party support in implementing other devises to try and save a few bucks or inches perplexes me to no end. I'd rather be productively engaged in recording rather than on a first name basis with who knows how many third party tech support departments.

perceptivesounddesign
09-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Umm, OK. Wow, C24 owners are diehard!

Actually, I have a very nice 500s.f. room which was specifically designed and built by me for post production audio. The problem is that I designed the front end around an Argosy workstation desk that is not wide enough at the center point to fit a C24, no matter how clever the carpentry. The idea of trying to take it apart and sell it, then buy a different Argosy console, is something I'm not interested in doing. Along those lines, a 16-fader version of the C24 would indeed fit within the area it would need to.

As far as number of faders for a given session goes, sure, 24 is terrific. But 16 faders with bank switching would be more than enough for my (yes, highly professional) needs.

Finally, I don't need mid-range Focusrite mic pre's. I have Millenia and Amek pre's. I don't need the C24's monitoring section, because I prefer to use a high quality system dedicated to the task, such as a Studio Technologies StudioComm. So why pay for redundant equipment in a footprint that is too large? For someone like me, a C16 would be terrific.

images/icons/tongue.gif

joestudio
09-21-2002, 05:14 PM
just buy the ProControl, it sounds like it was made for you. My semi-pro clients like stuff that's big for no reason. Like their Escalades, Suburbans, Dual rear pickups, and platinum chains. I was asked why another ProTools guy has such a small board. Genetics.

I was born a poor black child,

J

nutshell
09-22-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by joestudio:
just buy the ProControl, it sounds like it was made for you. My semi-pro clients like stuff that's big for no reason. Like their Escalades, Suburbans, Dual rear pickups, and platinum chains.

J<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have had similar I LIKE BIG customers...I have the C24 and if I could stroke it some and make it grow - I Would...my .02

davemc
09-22-2002, 09:04 AM
Vegas Mode looks Cool to for clients.
Had a band that went somewhere else and complained that his vintage neve must not be as good as no lights flash.

Personally what I would have liked better then what is in the control24.
Is 16 faders, a split system, keyboard/trackball in middle and 8 faders each side.
Left side faders that can be locked. Right side banked faders. No pres, better control section, 8 char scribble strip. A lot of this is really a pro control...

Also would love plugins to conform, so we could have an eq section like a real desk. Which could then be used to adjust the plugin.

So much I miss the freq/gain on the pots and just fiddle to it sounds good.