PDA

View Full Version : To buy a C24 or not to buy-case specific...

amiller
05-21-2002, 05:31 PM
I know it's been covered in a slightly different way before. I'll try to keep brief: I'd like to put together a high-end home studio with thought of potentially getting a building down the road to do the following: Music recording/mixing both solo and band, regular post work and DVD authoring 5.1, etc... A Pro Control is out of the question for me. I can't think of a better all-in-one type of box, especially for the price. C24 is my limit. Also, I know I have a lot to learn with respect to what other peripherals I'll need to do surround work, but I've got an HD1 with a 96i/o (a 192 will soon follow). To do the above, would anyone else consider a different direction? BTW Thanx to Hardnox for all his previous advice, no need to respond to this. Again, I can't spend anymore than what the C24 would cost. Appreciate any advice. Thank you!

digi2000
05-22-2002, 07:07 AM
I have a control 24 with an HD3 in my house, and let me tell you, I absolutely love it. Sure there are features I would like to see but given it's price you just can't go wrong.
When I had just the HD3 Pro Tools was gret but with the Control 24 it totally rocks and everyone who has seen it has been totally blown away. It really helps you concentrate on Mixing in a very intuative manner and the way you can manipulate plug ins totally rules especially when you use the flip function to control paramiters from the main faders.
You will love it.

amiller
05-22-2002, 09:07 AM
Thanx for the reply Digi2000, may I inquire about the type of work you're doing?

nutshell
05-22-2002, 10:02 AM
ditto:
preamps and control room functions sold me.
I have a commercial facility...rock bands, singer songwriters; commercial voiceovers.
Besides all the features mentioned above it is very client friendly!....
First impressions for my clients have been very positive - i believe sometimes it has played a part in me getting the job...
if you need something like this to do your work - go for it....good luck

amiller
05-22-2002, 03:00 PM
Thanks nutshell, this seems to be the most common response I've received from people. It really seems to be a very versatile board. It may not be much money for some, but it's a lot in my book, so it's always nice to hear from others on what they think.

Nimrod
05-23-2002, 05:48 AM
I have c24 and HD2 it absolutely rocks. Clients love it and mixing is made a lot easier. The control room section is great and the preamps useable mainly for keyboards, although I did a guide vocal in the control room of a blues band using a c24 pre and a neumann KM184 into an RNC, not my usual vocal set up. Guess waht some of the takes will be going on the record!

They look cool and my daughter loves the Vegas Mode

Cheers

James

digi2000
05-24-2002, 09:58 AM
Hey sorry for the dealy in getting back to you. Anyway, you asked what I am using the system for. I am using it primarily to do House/Trance work but I am also doing some work with bands.

As a Bourd for dealing with typical recording sessions it is great and very intuative.

What I love about it is the sheer ability to really tweak stuff out and totally manipulate the plug ins in real time.

Making Dance Music with the exception of Tracking vocals and the odd instrument involves a ton of midi devices, programming and editing as I am sure you know. I love the fact that I can use all the soft synths and manipulate them straight from the control 24. I can also do very cool filter sweeping effects via the plug in automation and even flip the parameters down to the faders to get that extra resolution.

Here is an example of something the control 24 can do really nicely.

Take an audio Track assign a Focusite D2 plugin to the channel. goto auto enable on the plug in and select HMF and LMF or just one of them for that matter. then on the eq set a very narrow band on the Q and boast the gain

Now I put the channel in write mode. Hit the flip button and I can now automate the movement of the frequency band directly from the faders. You can get some crazy effects this way. You can also achieve the same thing with the rotaries but not as much funb imho.

This is shown in the dvd from DIGI and it works amazing.

In short, This board totally rocks when it comes to mixing and plug in automation and manipulation.

You need to get one you won't ever look back and yes I know it's quite a lot of money but it will soon pay for itself in it's ability to take so many of the no-fun aspects of mixing and making them a part of the creative aspect of making music.

Sorry, for writing so much I just am really excited about mine and have been through the same thought pattern you are going through.

That's my 2 cents

tvent
05-27-2002, 09:12 PM
I am sure glad to hear I am not the only person with a C24 in their house. images/icons/grin.gif
I love mine. I am aware of the paint and analog monitor problems some folks had, but mine has been great so far with no problems.
I use mine for both recording other musicans and for writing my own material (both audio and midi) and just can't imagine working without it.
It took me a while, but I figured a way to have my midi controller slide in and out underneath it (kinda like a computer keyboard) and it is really nice for doing composition type work.
Go for it. The only thing I wish it had would be a trackball built in somewhere (or at least a place big enough to put mine on it) and some sort of built in keyboard since my midi keyboard is where most people would but their computer keyboard - but if it was that important to me I guess I would have gone with a ProControl and Edit Pack.
I really like the pre's too (I have gotten to where I run all my line level sources through the line pre's too), I do wish they had put the phantom switches on the front, but I can live with it.
Plus, as someone pointed out above, the kids love Vegas mode (OK, so do I - but don't tell images/icons/wink.gif )

digi2000
05-29-2002, 06:26 AM
Ok,

Our comments are in are you going to get one?

nutshell
05-29-2002, 09:10 AM
P.S.
Just did a "customer survey" sort o' thing and here is one of the interesting results...this particular question was a First Impression sort of question:

Out of 15 customers, rated 1 was the excellent layout and look of the facility...
2 was the control room and specifically the professional look of the "mixing board"...
FYI
So, are ya gonna get it?

amiller
05-29-2002, 09:15 PM
Ok, Ok, I give. I'm leaning 95% toward getting it right now, w/in 6 weeks give or take. Have to take care of a couple things first.... Thanx so much for the responses! Will let folks know what's up in a little while, or if I think of any other silly questions........

andrew haller
05-30-2002, 12:34 AM
I just want to say that I've been on the fence about getting a control 24,and because of the great reponse's of this topic, I think I'm gonna get it really soon .
Thanks
Andy

digi2000
05-30-2002, 07:48 AM
Andrew,

Congratulations on your proposed wise move. I just don't know how in the world I ever functioned without my control 24. I just find that it makes writing music so much more fun and intuative and mixing takes on a whole new dimension especially when it comes to automation.
With the control 24 you can just bring in any of your old mixes and seriously goto town with it.
before the control 24 I would get lazy and just let little things go but now, I just keep hitting the rewind button and do all my updates until the mix is absolutely spot on.
Another major Plus is the zoom functions and navigation. It really is a super time saver.
All in all it is the best money I have ever spent, though as soon as they come up with a control 48 (Dreaming) with built in edit pack( still dreaming), my control 24 will be replaced that day.
Digi product design if your listening a control 48 would rock, plus scribble strips with more than 4 characters would be nice and also some good visual way to define the type of channel i.e (Audio, Aux, Midi etc) !!!!!