PDA

View Full Version : Please,help me set up a recording environment for a singer.

Kam Lion
05-25-2001, 02:47 AM
How do I connect the following devices in order to record a vocal track in ProTools?

1- A mic and a pair of headphones inside the singer-booth;
2- An external mixer with 24 channels with 8 busses;
3- A headphone amp with 8 channels;
4- A Focusrite dual mic-preamp;
5- And ProTools running on my Mac.

Mount Royal
05-25-2001, 05:35 AM
Meaning no disrespect of any kind, you're better off employing a local engineer to come on-site to supervise your method until you have some working knowledge of these basic steps. The manner in which your question is phrased suggest you'll run in to many areas of uncertainty.

Again I mean no disrespect. But there's more to the process than your question implies. The $100 or so that you'll invest in two hours of on-site consultation will improve the outcome of your vocal tracks at present and in the future.

Best wishes,

John Caldwell

5down1up
05-26-2001, 02:00 AM
connect the mic to the preamp
1) if u wanna use an eq of your desk ? route it back to your mixer and switch to a buss , lets say buss 1 . connect your bus out to the interface input 1.create a audio track choose input 1 , here we go.
2) if u dont need to have the desk eqs connect directly preamp out to interface in.
to keep the monitoring real simple , simply use the headphones out of the desk and connect the headphones.the singer will here the mix u have on the desk.if u wanna have a different control room mix and the singer need a different mix , most mixers are giving u the flexibility to monitor via the aux.means you can setup different volume relations 1) what u hear ( mix setup - mixer ) 2) what the performers want to hear.
thats basically it , but i agree with John , even if it sounds simple ( it really is , too ) it can get complicated :-) so check it before you r gonna record , otherwise youŽll mayB get lost , hope that helps good luck