PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise after midi drum notes???

Gulliver
02-15-2001, 04:33 PM
I have Pro Tools 001 on a G4 with a Yamaha DC10 electronic drum set (DTX v2.0).

When 001 plays back the midi drum track (which then controls the brain), I get a ticking sound after each note.

Also, I get the same ticking sound if I click my mouse on the midi notes (which plays them back independently).

Anyone know what I can do to get rid of this?

Thanks.

Mark Haliday
02-17-2001, 03:10 AM
I may have a hypothetical explanation to this. Relating your clicking sound problem with my own issue (see post in the "welcome to the midi conference" thread) all this may come from the way PT ends notes : there are to my knowledge two ways to end a note : the "traditional" Note OFF message, or a very short 0 velocity Note ON message. The latter is favoured by certains systems because it allows a clever thinning out of the MIDI flow (and consquently better timing) through using "running status".(note : this is all I know on the subject, I am pretty ignorant of the details of the MIDI protocol...)
Maybe PT uses that technique. In your case the clicking sound may come from that since drum modules often trigger sounds without taking great notice of the length of the note

I would love some technical answers from digi on that issue

good luck
Mark

------------------
Mark Haliday
CUSTOM STUDIO
Paris, France

Gulliver
02-19-2001, 03:37 PM
Mark:

Your problem could be two things:
1 - If you run out of voices on your midi device, it will cut notes off.
2 - If your settings are wrong, your device could be set to cut off when certain other devices are played. An example of this is an open high-hat, which needs to be programmed to cut off when a closed high-hat note is hit.

Gulliver
02-19-2001, 08:46 PM
The ticking noise has mysteriously ended. My guess is an incorrect setting; user error.