PDA

View Full Version : Best way to re-do vocals?

Chris Lambrechts
04-05-2001, 01:03 PM
the insertion at a zero point is a little bit over the top IMHO, I usualy record non destructive and edit later on, but even when I record destructive, I just put the insertion point between two lines in the text or even at a breathing point, you don't have to be zero point accurate.

One very important remark : have the singer sing along BEFORE you go into record, that way you avoid unneccesary clicks on breaths etc etc .... Hell it goes a LOT faster than the tape days http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
Chris Lambrechts

AverageJoe
04-05-2001, 01:10 PM
Yeah, what he said... http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif

I always punch in a decent amount early and get out late and then leave the editing till later. You never know when something really cool is going to happen so having that extra space to play with is good. Having a few extra syllables on either end also gives you the opportunity to find the best place to make the edit (sometimes the intended edit or punch point won't match up as well as another one, and with extra time you'll have your choice).

Non-destructive means you can be quick and reckless and always fix it later. Keeping the singer at the same energy level (which will really affect tone and pitch) is worth the extra work you'll do later.

Just my humble opinion and way I do it!

Joe

------------------
---
Joe Mazza
Average Joe Music (http://www.averagejoemusic.com)

[This message has been edited by AverageJoe (edited April 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by AverageJoe (edited April 05, 2001).]

flymax
04-05-2001, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I have such a session tomorrow and wonder how you handle this: when using quick punch, the singer redoes a line and sustains longer than the first time, therefore overlapping a little on the next word from the previous take. So what do you do, ask them to do it over with less sustain?

uno1234
04-05-2001, 08:56 PM
Keep in mind that quickpunch records EVERYTHING, from the preroll start to when you hit stop. If you never "punch in", it discards the take, but when you do punch in, the entire file is stored in the region bin, and you can use the trimmer to trim out and grab the audio that was never punched.

This is useful for a couple of reasons. For one, you don't have to worry about punches-- make the punch like you would with an analog deck, and clean it up later (or turn on the auto region fade in the prefs menu, to clean up clicks during the session). Secondly, you can go back and check out what the singer did before the punch, in case there was some magic happening. And finally, if you didn't put the playback point in the right place and you cut off the beginning of the punch because you CAN'T PUNCH ON A PREROLL.... you can go back and grab the audio from the preroll section and be happy.

flymax
04-06-2001, 12:14 AM
Is there a quicker way to do this well? Here's the deal; the artist does a vocal take, then we go thru, line by line, and re-do them as necessary. I zoom in on the line, select it, making sure the selection is where the wave form crosses zero, give some pre-roll and hit record. This way works fine and leaves little or no work for later but it takes a sec to make the selection just perfectly. Is there a quicker way to do this well? I'm a little skeptical of quick punch because the artist might hold the line a little longer and go over the beginning of the next line. I know I could then trim it back.

The bottom line is- that I don't want to keep the artist waiting. Any suggestions?