PDA

View Full Version : Cd burner, over 4x bad?

blake eat world
02-08-2001, 01:44 AM
i read that if you burn over 4x it's an unreliable cd and will be prone to skipping and so on. i also had a friend record me a cd at 8x and it skipped first run through my cd player which proves the point. now does anyone here know of a high quality mac burner that can do higher speeds than 4 reliably?

Marc Cooreman
02-08-2001, 08:38 AM
Until six months ago everyone said 2x was the best speed for audio

PacMan
02-08-2001, 10:13 AM
What about those 16x Firewire burners out now ?

Anybody using these at 16X to burn Audio with.

I'm not talking about a Master CD, just to burn a few copies after a session.

Does it work ?

Thanx

E-an
02-08-2001, 10:48 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows any way of testing the integrity of audio data on a CD e.g. errors etc. (MAC software of course!)

Would be interested in the results.

Thx,
E

Conscious Structure
02-08-2001, 11:31 AM
I have a glyph 8x burner on an Ultra Wide SCSI connection. It works wonderfully. Very clear audio discs. Even when I burn on cheap Office Depot CDs, they're still high enough quality to play on the worst CD player.

------------------
Dave Belazis
Conscious Productions
Conscious Studios

moosh
02-08-2001, 10:43 PM
I've gotten errors when burning at 12x using CDs that were formulated for 8x. I figured it was probably a marketing gimmick, but there is probably something to it. Otherwise my 12xs have been problem free.

Eric Bazilian
02-09-2001, 12:52 AM
I'd always avoided burning at speeds higher than 4X, like many of us. Then, when forced by serious time pressure to burn at 8, then 12X, I was most delighted to discover that it works. I did have difficulty playing one CD on one particular player, but it was an ancient consumer machine.

I still burn at 4X when time is not a factor, but I also burn fearlessly faster.

------------------
Eric Bazilian/The Mousetrap
"Music Is Good"

stevegalante
02-09-2001, 05:49 AM
My experience: data cd (backup) at 8x with no problems (Plextor 12x + Atto UL2D + Discribe) on 12x certified media, audio cd D.A.O. no more than 4x

------------------
www.downinhollywood.com (http://www.downinhollywood.com)

gh10606
02-09-2001, 06:56 AM
I've had trouble at speeds over 4x too, but that was when I was using cheap CD's. I've quit using those CD's, and I've quit burning over 4x, so it's hard to say which variable made the difference. All I know is my CD's are fine now.

Glenn