PDA

View Full Version : New Tascam 24/24 + PTMIX

RMD
08-06-2000, 10:50 PM
I have been recording my location recordings on Tascam HR78's (24bit) then dumping the takes in PT for production to CD pre-master. The new Tascam 24/24 sounds interesting to me because it records to SDII files thus eliminating the time spent dumping takes into PT. Just plug your hard drive into PT and you're off.
So....now i'm thinking......
Why go and spend all that extra cash on a piece of gear that will do essentially what my PTMIX is doing already. I guess the only issue is portability. Figuring the 24/24 is roughly the same size as my 9500 the only extra piece of equipment would be the monitor. I am already using my AD8000's as the front end to the HR78's anyway so that wouldn't change. It would be nice to spend that cash on something I don't have like more pre-amps. The only issue I see with the direct to PT or the 24/24 is one of back-up in that the drives are never fool proof where as tape (HR78) is very reliable.
Any thoughts???

Robert DiVito
Montgomery Sound

PT2GO
08-08-2000, 06:00 PM
The biggest problem right now is that the Tascam only mounts 9 gig drives. After you run out of space on one, you have to mount another, or at least re-assign another as the record drive.

hughesdigi
08-13-2000, 06:32 PM
the MX2424 is very close to supporting drives larger than 9 GB. They are working real hard beta testing the software upgrades to do so.
I own a MX2424 and it sounds great and interfaces easily with my two Spirit 328 consoles. I have it racked with a glyph custom combo sporting dual 18Gb barracuda hot swap drives. I also have some nine Gb drives to use until the software is upgraded. The transfer of files is easy. Just spot audio files to original time stamp and away you go. It is some bucks but for remote recording it is a great machine.

hughesdigi