PDA

View Full Version : cool edit pro 2.0

lcovemusic
06-05-2002, 04:45 PM
anyone familiarwith/using this program?

impressions? is it up to serious tasks?

elijahsongs
06-05-2002, 05:21 PM
I think Cool Edit Pro is a pretty good program for the price... whether it's up to serious tasks or not probably depends on what you mean by serious. I've used it for about three years now just recording simple, short, mono and stereo things. Don't know much about the multi-tracking capabilities (compared to PTLE) but I have friends who use it and like it. Again, especially for the price. Of course, it's just software, so hardware would also be an important part of "whether it's up to serious tasks" equation.

Hope this helps,

elijah

Stone Knife
06-05-2002, 08:16 PM
Last time I used it, I was amazed at it's insistence at creating duplicate files for what seemed like every edit move I'd make. A 1 minute clip turns into 40 megs real quick... I never did figure it out.

Bonus: (not)
It was the most counter-intuitive program I'd used up to that point.

Mabie they've fixed the new file for everything behavior by now.

nqmike
06-07-2002, 08:26 PM
For simple audio tasks- it's great. I wouldn't go doing a multitrack project on it though. The software just isn't powerful enough. For example- I'll use if I need to hard trim a file, it launches quicker than PT and I can just cut save, and get out. Also- it's Direct X compatible so you use it to effect your files with your DX software, then import the files back to PT.

Good luck!

N-G-NEER
06-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Cool Edit or cool eit pro was design for radio. It's purpose was to do those quick in house pieces that use, on air talent. The move today is toward Protools because of it's power. Many radio stations now use the AMIII cards with PTLE and the bigger stations are migrating to TDM systems.

JMS40
06-08-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
Last time I used it, I was amazed at it's insistence at creating duplicate files for what seemed like every edit move I'd make. .<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That "feature" can be quickly disabled in Cool Edit Properties...

I use CE as a down & dirty edit tool.
Go directly to the .wav or .mp3 and edit away, (no need to create a session or Project file).
Not my main tool, but I do find uses for it and am happy with the quality.

elijahsongs
06-08-2002, 09:56 AM
I agree, it's very good for quick, simple edits...