PDA

View Full Version : MP3 option...MAC? PC? ...so confused

lucian
04-22-2000, 01:29 PM
I have a project that must be encoded in MP3 to use later with the Power Point .I bounced down all worked fine,I can play the file by double cliking in my 9600 BUT I burned the file on the CD using TOAS file folder option ( in the ideea that MP3 is a standard) and I put the CD in my PC . WHELL IT DOES NOT SEE THE FILE .In the Mac it can play it can see it but not on the PC . Are there many kind of MP3?
Thank you for your help.Please fell free to email or call or use smoke signals...

Thank you
Lucian
[email protected]

coaster
04-22-2000, 01:46 PM
try this:
on your 9600, in toast, burn an ISO9660 cdrom with your mp3 file on it. make sure it has the windows extension ".mp3" at the end of the file. in windows, make sure you have a program that can read mp3's. drag the .mp3 file onto drive c: or somewhere and try to play it. in windows, the .mp3 extension may not show up at all, but if it is not there, windows knows not what file type it is.
this should work.

a lot of things should work, but windows is available to us to provide the single biggest pain in the ass of our lives.
every day i use
macos 8.1
macos 8.6
windows 95,98,NT.

8.6 is unbelievably joyous, 8.1 is crash-prone and confused, and windows, well, you know.

i spend more time troubleshooting windows than i do making music.
i spend more time making music than i do troubleshooting macs.

case in point:
this week, i reformated both drives on my mac and reinstalled everything. the time it took to back up 7gigs onto a 4xcdrom, format the drives, partition a 649.9mb system partition, install 8.6os, and reinstall backed up data was under 4 hours. actual system down time was 20minutes.
i was back up and running 1 hour afterwards, including internet and printer(sometimes tough on a mac)

compare this to:
my girlfriends pentium windows 95 setup was acting buggy(SUPRISE!!!)
it was decided to do the same type of wipeout-install situation to her machine as to mine.
since i have 3 windows 95 machines, and had done this many times before, i thought nothing of it.
it took 3 days(!)
i had to get a dos cdrom driver from the web (on my mac) drag it into fake windows (on my mac) install the ATAPICD.EXE onto a bootable floppy and create a msxdx(?) ATAPI.SYS and CONFIG.SYS file.
brought that over to the pentium and it worked(!) but windows installer kept asking for things that were not on the windows 95 installer (things i had told it NOT to install in the first place)

anyway it works(?) now.

i hate microsoft.

lucian
04-22-2000, 01:56 PM
Thank you for the advice. I built my own 9600 from schrach. I was planing on getiong a laptop PC , not any more. I will go with the MAC. Talkin about multitasking.
-Toast burning a CD
-PT5 in the bacground
-Downloading files from web
all this in the same time.on the MAc
This will never hapen in the PC
Thank you again.
Lucian

DigiDawg
04-22-2000, 08:38 PM
Lucian,

By your post, I'm not sure which version of Toast that you are using, but I can tell you that Toast 4.0 has some bugs as it relates to mp3 files. I'm using PT 4.3.2 on a 9600/300 and I burn my MP3's using SoundJamMP. The files sound wonderful(for MP3) but the stuff that gets burned to Toast is typically very inconsistent. There's an interesting thread at the Casady&Greene web site that deals with these particular issues. Regrettably I don't have their URL handy, but if you do a search and go to their site, you should find some info on this issue that is helpful.

Hope that gives you what you need,

A tres bientot,

DigiDawg

lucian
04-25-2000, 06:59 PM
Thanks ,
It did work ,I used the whatever ISO ..9600 option type file or something like that. I went and I added the .MP3 at the end and it did the trick.

Thank you

coaster
04-26-2000, 01:26 PM
glad to help, i have had similiar problems interfacing mac/windows.