PDA

View Full Version : Hey, anybody heard about DVD+RW ?

stevegalante
03-31-2000, 12:42 AM
Have you heard about the DVD+RW format? HP model should provide 4.7G and be up to 11 times faster than CD. From what I know, Sony, Phillips, Hewlett-Packard, Ricoh,MCC-Verbatim and Yamaha are supporting this format. HP had to deliver the first DVD+RW drive for 700 US $ last year's fall, but now they're going on the 4.7G model. Are you all waiting for it ?

Gary Stadler
03-31-2000, 04:21 AM
I bought a DVD RW a few months back and after waiting 2 hours and having to push a "no, it's OK to continue" button every ten minutes as it tried to back up my 1 gig drive, I promptly stuck it in a box and sent it back. I now use a 50 gig drive for immediate backup and dat tape for permanent backup....DVD drives are a disgusting toy, not mature enough for "real' work....only my current personal opinion....

stevegalante
03-31-2000, 05:16 AM
What you actually bought was a 'DVD-RAM' or 'DVD-RW', which are very different from 'DVD+RW'.

Gary Stadler
03-31-2000, 05:48 PM
Ah, Ok, fill me in....you're right, it was a DVD ram....it sucked.....tell me about dvdRW then ????

stevegalante
03-31-2000, 11:59 PM
Ok, here's DVD+RW features, from HP site:
- capacity of 3G or 4,7G (HP model);
- reads and writes at speeds up to 11 times faster than reading a CD;
- reads CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, CD-Audio, CD-DA, DVD-ROM, DVD movies.
The format is supported by all the companies I said in the first post, and it's strange nobody seems to know about it, even Digi...