PDA

View Full Version : streaming...what is it!!

norie
03-21-2000, 08:31 AM
i'm unclear on the concept of streaming. what exactly is streaming. i think i understand that mpc is both compressed and streamed -- i understand compression but not streaming so i can't think creatively about how to achieve it, other than mp3.

p.s. this user conf. is the greatest...everyone is so speedy and generous!

Gary Stadler
03-21-2000, 09:24 AM
Think of a 4 inch diameter pipe about 10 feet long. You have a big box of various colored tennis balls that your mom wants you to put through the pipe.

Not streaming- you can't play with the balls until they are all stuffed through the pipe and all out the other end

Streaming- you can play with the balls as they come out the other end, even before all of them have come through

Compression- deciding that all the blue balls are useless and throwing them away before stuffing the remaining balls through the pipe.

Compression, not streaming- you throw away the blue balls first and stuff the rest thru the pipe, and you cannot play with them until they all come out the other end

compression, streaming- you throw away the blue balls and stuff the rest into the pipe, and you CAN play with them as they come out the other end

The pipe, of course, is the internet....

[This message has been edited by Gary Stadler (edited March 21, 2000).]

editor
03-21-2000, 02:18 PM
Gary, norie,

A crash while on-line is when the net takes it ball and goes home, to play by it's self.

Regards

e

coaster
03-21-2000, 03:52 PM
i think someone owes the smurfs an apology. blue balls are important, too.

Gary Stadler
03-21-2000, 11:23 PM
Chuckle.....ouch......

Tertsipede
03-21-2000, 11:53 PM
Hi folks!

"Streaming" is a continous web data connection between the host server and the client. This is relevant to streaming audio and video on the web nowadays. In the future it may be something that happens between a music server and a cell-phole like terminal.

A typical streaming solution/service is a webcast of a concert. The webcasting process components are:
-acquisition and encoding(=data compression, loss of quality)
-hosting and archiving
-internet delivery
-end user playback (RealPlayer, MediaPlayer, QuickTime)

mp3 is not a streaming format,
RealAudio is.

Tertsipede
http://www.streamingmediaworld.com/gen/tutor/whatis/index2.html

norie
03-22-2000, 11:24 AM
now i'm confused. i thought both real audio and mp3 were streaming formats (or so says my bible, the protools 5 manual)?