PDA

View Full Version : What is the best reverb out there?

TDunn
10-02-1999, 08:09 AM
I'm not talking about just TDM plugins - but if you have an opinion about certain TDM plugins vs. hardware reverbs, please do tell!

What I want to know is what reverbs, be they hardware or software, will give me natural sounds like the reverbs on albums such as Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon/The Wall, Supertramp-Breakfast in America, Pantera-Vulgar Display of Power, AC/DC-Back in Black, Alice in Chains-Facelift, The Beatles-Abbey Road/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper, U2-Unforgettable Fire, and reverbs like you hear on great classical recordings - where the reverb sounds like it is totally a part of the instrument.

Thanks!

Steve MacMillan
10-02-1999, 09:22 AM
Try a live echo chamber, there are still a few good ones left in Los Angeles at studios like Ocean Way and Capitol. Back in the 60s and 70s almost every major studio had a couple of chambers for every mixing desk.

The next most impressive reverb is the EMT-140 reverb plate. It is a large tensioned piece of metal with contact mics on it, and you can adjust the decay time. Most of the major mix rooms still have one and they can be bought on the used market. Every one sounds a little different and a good one is still my favorite vocal reverb.

Of the modern stand alone digital reverbs, the best are the Lexicon 480L, Lexicon PCM91, TC 5000, and the TC 3000. Other good reverbs are the best Yamaha, Roland, and Sony units. For a project studio the PCM91 and the TC 3000 would be a good bet, both will interface with ProTools thru AES. The old AMS RMX16 and the digital EMT250 are considered classics. Reverb is such a matter of taste.

sm

[This message has been edited by Steve MacMillan (edited 10-02-99).]

Peter Steinbach
10-02-1999, 09:33 AM
Boy, have you opened a can of worms. This is probably one of those threads that will go on and on, and will eventually wind up as an arguement over whether Digi sucks or not.
As far as I'm concerned, the above reply pretty much sums it all up. Read no further..

10-04-1999, 01:21 PM
I invested in a TC M3000 & a AMS RMX16. I plan to go AES i/o for the TC and D/A - A/D i/o for the AMS unit.

I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't dig Lexicon reverb.

Had a chance to buy a BX 20, any good? what are they worth?

Jules

[This message has been edited by Julian Standen (edited 10-04-99).]

EricRobinson
10-04-1999, 02:08 PM
Best Reverb = a good sounding roomd

Eric Robinson

EricRobinson
10-04-1999, 02:09 PM
Best Reverb = a good sounding room

Eric Robinson

smrp
10-05-1999, 06:53 AM
Julian,

You are not alone. I'd take TC over Lexicon any day.

Robert U
10-05-1999, 08:29 AM
I just wonder how much is the the Lexicon 480L and the PCM91 in the US? I've heard it's much cheaper than here(About 13.000$ for the 480L and 4000$ for the PCM91).

------------------
Robert

Robert U
10-05-1999, 08:32 AM
One more thing: I have a TC 2000 and I just wondered how big is the difference going up to TC 3000???

powersdatbe
10-08-1999, 09:16 AM
the lexicon 480 is a great piece,but the tc m5000 is just as good,the new m6000 will be even better with 4 ins and outs simultaneously and touch screen remote with 6 moving faders(??WHY??),also the m5000 will be upgradeable to the new m6000 algorithms also the m3000 algorithms=get an m5000

dBHEAD
10-08-1999, 11:17 AM
Our teacher, for the Advanced Audio class I'm taking, did something very creative. He turned the hallway of the building into an echo chamber and it worked remarkably well.

The hallway I'm talking about is about 120 feet long and around 15 feet wide. The ceilings are only 9 feet and made of acountical tile, but the floor is hard tile and the walls are bare. It might not be a "perfect" room, but it definitely has natural reverb. The teacher just put a speaker at one end pointed at a corner and set up a couple of SM81s at the other. We played with spacing and got the richest, most realistic reverbs I've ever heard.

The point is simply that if you have ANY kind of room nearby with good natural reverberation, it might be possible to turn it into a pseudo-echo chamber. Granted, the room might not have ideal dimensions, but if the reverb is strong enough you can play with the mics and often get something that blows the best boxes and plug-ins away.

10-08-1999, 11:24 PM
natural acoustics rediscovered.

beggehorn
10-09-1999, 10:53 AM
On a related note,

I too have had some frustrations with setting up good verbs and fx chains, particularly for drums, using PT Dverb. I'm wondering if going with an external unit that is specifically designed for setting up good snare sounds and the like would be the way to go. I do mostly modern/alternative pop and was thinking of maybe a Yamaha SPX product. Any suggestions on perhaps an older unit that has good algorithms for that sort of thing? Maybe w/ SPDIF outs?

beggehorn
10-11-1999, 10:29 AM
(top)

Assman
10-11-1999, 02:29 PM
Howdy folks

Digi sucks!

George Cumbee
11-29-1999, 07:37 PM
>>>I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't dig Lexicon reverb.

Julian:

I always knew there was something strange about you....just kidding.

You chaps must just have different ear genes!

George
Classic Recording
www.classicrecording.com

Eric Bazilian
11-29-1999, 11:03 PM
After the same frustration common to all us PT users with the available plugs I happened upon my old PCM60, which totally rocked my world. Eight push buttons, that's it. It just sounds real good. You can probably pick one up for a song out there. Even beats my old PCM70, which is great for some stuff, but the 'verb pales in comparison to the 60.

------------------
Eric Bazilian/Dingbat Sound
"Music Is Good"

Didier de Roos
11-30-1999, 03:35 AM
Eric is absolutely right: the PCM60, in my memory anyway, is one of the best sounding digital reverbs ever. I'd like to hear one today, to see if it still gives the same impression...
Anybody heard the new Sony (the "sampling reverb")?

Jonny Atack
12-01-1999, 05:36 PM
Robert U: in the US (Sweetwater.com) and in Paris (where I am) you can pick up a new PCM91 for $2500 or less and an M3000 for $2000 or less. I don't know what 480Ls cost new, but I've seen two used ones (v. 3.01) going for $7000 around here.

George Cumbee: I have neither the Lexiverb nor the 480L and am thinking seriously about a used 480L for $7000. Since you have recently had the opportunity to compare the two, I'm eager to hear what you think about the relative merits and value for $$ of the two. Thanks.

Fokke van Saane
12-02-1999, 12:32 AM
Is there anyone out there with experiences with the Quantec Yardstick Room simulator?
http://www.quantec.de/
It had a very good review in a Dutch ProAudio magazine (and they are very critical).
It is more a room simulator than a cathedral reverb, but i think it maybe can be a good alternative next to a Lexi(verb/con).

George Cumbee
12-02-1999, 08:18 PM
>>>>>>>>George Cumbee: I have neither the Lexiverb nor the 480L and am thinking seriously about a used 480L for $7000. Since you have recently had the opportunity to compare the two, I'm eager to hear what you think about the relative merits and value for $$ of the two. Thanks.

$7K for a 480 is a great price. Make sure it has two engines ie: 2 sep. 1 in 2 out reverbs. I have seen some for $6500. I paid much more for mine new. It is great. I see why it is so popular plus have the two units in one helps on DSP power. I just mixed an album with the 480 for 2 verbs, the Lexiverb as the 3rd and the TC Megaverb as a 4th when needed. Honestly I got the 480L in Oct and loved it, then just was able to start using the Lexiverb last week with the fix for Mixcards now being available.

As I was about to say, I was really impressed with the Lexiverb. I think it sounds great. Very similar to the 480L and obviously much cheaper. I mainly got the 480 because we have a large analog console/digital analog studio also and had been urged by many client to get the 480 so we could get more conventional mix business. Many of our regular client are not into Pro-Tools yet and still mix the old way, which I have only does once since I got the PT/ProControl room going.

Hope this helps...Both a great depending on your needs. I have NO regrets.

George
Classic Recording, Franklin (Nashville), TN
www.classicrecording.com

Jonny Atack
12-07-1999, 04:39 PM
Thanks, George.

We test drove the used 480L today and it certainly is the best reverb I've ever worked with. It's hard to imagine that the Lexiverb could sound as big.

George Cumbee
12-07-1999, 08:24 PM
It is real close. You just have to be careful to set levels to match. The 480 is hot in and out, so it seems that you need less send to it. When I first started with the Lexiverb, it seemed like I was having to crank the send much higher on the ProControl.

I was pleasantly surprised after being so pleased with the 480. The Lexiverb was even better than I was expecting it to be. I even redid a couple of pieces with large orchestra just because I liked the ending orch cutoff decay on the Lexiverb better.

George
Classic Recording, Franklin, TN
www.classicrecording.com

Philee
12-08-1999, 09:51 PM
what's the lowest price on Lexiverb?