PDA

View Full Version : USD vs SSD+VSD, pros cons

synthetic
02-20-2000, 04:13 PM
Has anyone traded up to a USD from their VSD+SSD? What are the pros and cons? I have heard conflicting stories - some editors like the old synchronizers and some the new. Also, does Pro Tools lock faster to SMPTE if both it and the master machine are on the same clock (blackburst)?

I currently have an S-VHS 9-pin deck connected to the SSD with no video clock, running PT 5.0. I am considering either purchasing a VSD, or selling the SSD and buying a USD.

Thanks for your help, -jl

Loatfield
08-21-2000, 11:11 PM
I'm using the VSD with A Studio 3.
The USD is too pricey unless you really ned the Machine control for Auto-Conforming.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by synthetic:
Has anyone traded up to a USD from their VSD+SSD? What are the pros and cons? I have heard conflicting stories - some editors like the old synchronizers and some the new. Also, does Pro Tools lock faster to SMPTE if both it and the master machine are on the same clock (blackburst)?

I currently have an S-VHS 9-pin deck connected to the SSD with no video clock, running PT 5.0. I am considering either purchasing a VSD, or selling the SSD and buying a USD.

Thanks for your help, -jl<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JKD99
08-22-2000, 11:24 AM
I love the USD, but used a MTP2 w/ a VSD for years w/ great results. If you're locking up to video, you HAVE to have both the VSD or USD locked up to blackburst or you'll never really have accurate sync. You mentioned you have a 9-pin SVHS. It has 9-pin but no external (house) sync? Strange. Or do you just not have a blackburst box? They're cheap; the little Horita box has multiple outs so everything gets it's own feed. Anyway, good luck!

------------------
Joe Milner
Puget Sound
Los Angeles