PDA

View Full Version : "Are we having fun yet?"

Jaleo
06-15-2000, 02:59 PM
I'm curious to hear from any Digi001/PTLE owners who have had early and easy success on installation and use of this product. While being familiar with PCs and technology in general, it seems that the new Windows 98SE version has many severe problems with both installation and functionality. I just want to verify that the product is, indeed functioning well for owners, and that the problems mentioned here on the DUC are fixable. Obviously, I accept that the DUC is mainly used for technical feedback and help, but I would also like to hear any kudos from PC version owners of Digi001 before I invest in a PC and the Digidesign product.

In essence..."Are we having fun yet?"

Thanks in advance.

Bob

dean7
06-15-2000, 04:57 PM
Hello Bob
i've had the win98 system for two days and the installation went fine except i installed it by mistake to my system drive instead of my recording drive and at first it would not play the demo. This was sorted when i installed it onto the correct drive.

The only problem is that i keep getting 2 error messages which stop the play back and record, with a loud digital blast through my speakers (Message 1-operating system held off interupts)(message 2-The pci bus is too slow for dae to communicate with audio card)
I hope digi will address these problems as im not the only one who has had these error's
If these errors can be fixed the system will be perfect!
Dean7
ps my system (p111800/380Mbram/intel atx mb/ 40gig 7200hd/20gig 7200hd/16 mb banshee card

CYork
06-15-2000, 07:19 PM
Bob

The installation in my system went without a hitch. I have however been using a dual hardware profile setup. That is to say my ProTools profile has no other PCI devices enabled. This seems to be the largest source of conflicts, the culprits of conflict being NICs and Sound Cards. As a side note, my Network cards don't like my Miditimepeice AV either and have to reside on a different profile from my music software (see MOTU UC).

Aside from the obvious that ProTools is a mature and fully featured environment, in the past seven days that I have had the software, I have recorded five 24 track sessions without a single crash. About half of the tracks were densely edited, a dozen tracks of automation, six stereo busses and between 18 and 27 plug-ins running on mixdown. I have a P!!! 700E and 256MB RAM, just to put the hardware into the picture. Now considering that I'm running a VIA chipset at this time, I have been very impressed I can't wait to see what kind of performance I can get out of a new motherboard.

If your familiar with the pitfalls of the x86 Intel platform then there should be no real surprizes here. I think Digi has proven by their track record that some of the currently missing features in the Win98 version will appear in the near future upgrade at no cost to us.

...back to work in the studio...

chad

[This message has been edited by CYork (edited June 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by CYork (edited June 15, 2000).]

Carcaridon
06-15-2000, 07:49 PM
I installed it on 6/9 and it's been working like a champ since. I followed the quick install guide word for word and all has been well.

Heath

Jerm
06-15-2000, 07:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jerm:
OK.... I've been reading these threads for the past few months in anticipation of 001 for pc... Finaly got mine yesterday.. and I have to say EXCELLENT JOB DIGI!! Had no installation problems at all.. quick and painless! The 24 track demo plays back FLAWLESSLY!! and my CPU isn't that fast!
Here's what I've got..

Pentium II 400
Abit BH6 Motherboard
320 megs of ram (I know... helps make up for lack of a faster cpu?!?)
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Controller
Glyph 4 gig Ultra SCSI drive (baracuda)
ATI Xpert98 AGP Graphics
3com Ethernet
Panasonic 7502 SCSI CDR
45x IDE CDROM
8.4 gig IDE Western Digi (system drive)

So far I'm pretty damned pleased with the system.. A HUGE step up from AudioMedia based systems!

JERM!

Bob<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

McKellip
06-15-2000, 08:11 PM
Have had great luck so far. I think Micron has their ducks in a row because there have been no error messages on my system at all... and guess what chipset. (knock on wood)! Making sure the digi has it's own IRQ makes a big difference IMHO. Also the other day I record enabled 24 tracks and let 'er rip! I was recording silence, but I wanted to see if any errors would show just going through the motions. I let it record for over two minutes and no problems or errors, and I only have one hard drive!

My PC system is as follows:
Micron Millenia PIII 500
VIA Apollo Pro 133A 4X chipset (so far so good)
133Mhz bus support
Award Bios
13.6 gig Ultra Dma/66 drive
Win 98 se
128 mb of Ram
Dual 17” Viewsonic monitors
Nvidia Riva TNT2 AGP graphics card (16 mb)
ATI Rage Xpert PCI graphics card (8 mb)

Jaleo
06-19-2000, 07:48 AM
Thanks to all for your responses...Looks like PTLE works well!

Bob

Monika
06-19-2000, 10:08 AM
I've also had great luck. I expected some problems because my computer is far from up to date. Installation took maybe 5 minutes and running all tracks with tons of plugins is no problem. I'm very pleased overall, just eagerly awaiting quicktime and cross-platform compatibility. Here's my system:

DELL XPS Computer w/mmx:
Intel P2, 350 mhz
224 sdram
matrox g200 tv agp video card
iomega 1gb jazz drive
adaptec 2940 scsi
external 9gb barracuda hard drive
internal 12gb ide hard drive
mitsumi cd burner
usrobotics 56k v.modem

http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

B.Ray
06-19-2000, 06:36 PM
Hey Jaleo,

Mine works great. No problems with the install and no crashes or error messages. If you have an approved computer configuration and follow the instructions in the Quick Start guide, there shouldn't be any problems.

Eric Day, you are the man!

Intel PIII 600E Processor
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
ATI Rage AGP
256MB PC100 RAM
WD 20.1 GB System Drive (5400 RPM)
WD 20.1 GB Audio Drive (7200 RPM)
Adaptec 2940 U2W SCSI Card (for CDR)
Roland VS-CDR

Digi Engineering
06-19-2000, 10:32 PM
Aw, shucks.

Eric Day
DAE Engineer

cs759
06-20-2000, 12:07 AM
Almost flawlessly,

First startup gave crash when loading MIDI.
Disabled all midi devices - Now fine.
Found the culprit - KORG X5D serial interface (still disabled)

Slight slow screen redraws, but I'm below spec (PII350 - PIII750cu arriving this week)

Sound is always excellent - never had a hint of a glitch.

PTLE gives me a feeling on confidence very quickly - Cubase - I continually have to check up on it to see if it did it.
PTLE doesn't confuse you into doing things the wrong way.
You set something, and you know its going to do it every time.

I've still a lot of stings still to try, and I know there are still things Digi need to update.

PTLE feels like a professional product.

Thanks to all at Digidesign for making my life a whole lot easier with music.

Hardware
CPU PII 350 (upgrading to PIII 750cu)
RAM 256MB SDRAM DIMM
Motherboard Intel SE440BX-2(no audio)
Sound Card - DIGI001
- Creamware Powersampler
Graphics Card - Matrox G400 dual head 32mb
Modem - Diamaond SupraExpress 56i Intl
MIDI interface - Roland USB S-MPU64 4x4
- MIDIman ISA 2x2
Hard Drive - 1 Seagate 6GB E-IDE
Hard Drive - Audio Quantum Fireball 10GB,
CD-Re-writer - HP-8100

Software
OS - Windows 98 (1st edition fully uptodate)

crs117
06-20-2000, 05:02 PM
I must say i was slightly worried about how it would run on my computer when i bought it, but it runs fine (minus slow screen refresh). I too have created a new hardware profile eliminating unecissary cpu usage when using pro tools. The hardest thing about installing the thing, was trying to read exactly where the spaces where in the serial number so i could inlock the software. i promise you i spent a good 30 minutes of trial and error trying to do that. Also while adding or working with multiple pluggins, i have to change the buffer size to 512 to 1024 which causes more latency, but thats in edditing so it shouldnt be that big a deal. Also i do load my SB live because i dont have anymoniters to i send a feed to the input of my soundcard to hear it without headphones. No problem as of right now, but i did disable the old SB 16 and pro emulation in the hardware profiles. Also you shouldnt have a problem if you do install the software on the main harddrive as long as you save the music on the audio dedicated harddrive (i think).

PII 333
intel LX board (66mhz FSB)
192 SDRAM
SB Live!
8.4 gig 5600 ibm harddrive
20 gig 7200 ibm harddrive (audio drive)

Thats all i have loaded i think.

Christian

[This message has been edited by crs117 (edited June 20, 2000).]