PDA

View Full Version : CTRL/FLIP fader parameters

Chris Lambrechts
11-04-2002, 05:42 PM
In my never satisfying quest for improvement there is this tiny little favour that I would ask from the PC development team.

Is it possible to have the Ctr/Flip option where plugin parameters apear on the faders to be extended to the faderpacks ? Would be great if it wasn't limited to the main unit only.

Thank you

PTPerson
11-05-2002, 02:59 AM
Only as an option tho, I don't want the whole board to flip. I tend to only go to the faders during auto writes, which is rare.

images/icons/smile.gif

http://www.groovetown.com.au

Stan Cotey
11-07-2002, 12:34 AM
Hi Chris! This topic has come up before and believe me my brother, I hear you! It's a really difficult task and I can't promise that we'll be able to get to it anytime soon.

The problem comes about because each part of a ProControl system (Main Unit, Fader Pack, etc.) has a separate Ethernet identity in the system and no single node knows about any other node, so there's no easy way to say "put these parameters on unit one, and these on unit two, etc." We would have to create an electronic dialog that went directly between units, without involving the app, which could easily require a faster microprocessor, which means a new main board, etc.

It's frustrating because Control|24 can conrol more parameters, and of course the reason is, an entire Control|24 "system" (meaning - all 24 faders, etc.) lives on a single node. If you could somehow use multiple Control|24s together, only one would be able to utilize plug-in flip.

So while I can't make any promises that this will change, I can tell you it's pretty high on my list of desired features. I'll certainly let you all know if anything happens.

Regards,

Stan Cotey

Chris Lambrechts
11-07-2002, 03:10 AM
thank you Stan

JaredVogt
11-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Greetings,
Stan I am trying to understand your post.

<Stan> "The problem comes about because each part of a ProControl system (Main Unit, Fader Pack, etc.) has a separate Ethernet identity in the system and no single node knows about any other node, so there's no easy way to say "put these parameters on unit one, and these on unit two, etc."

Right now you can tell each individual unit to display different tracks. Isn't that saying "put these parameters (channels) on unit one, and these on unit two." I am sure its more complicated, but I don't get that from your post.

I am very interested in this functionality though - since I have a 32 channel Procontrol setup - it would be way cool!

While we are on the topic of what the faders could be used for. I would like to request the ability to "lock" down faders. For example, it would be really cool to be able to lock down my left-most 8 faders and only have the other 24 scroll. Or various other combinations - like always having drums on the 8 faders to my immediate right. What would be nifty is something similar to the I/O setup dialog. Where you could define exactly the mappings between onscreen channels and faders - and define "locked" ones and how bank scrolling would work. This would be great!!!! But I am not holding my breath since I haven't seen it discussed or mentioned before.

Thanks,
Jared

Stan Cotey
11-07-2002, 03:08 PM
When a plug-in is targeted for editing, the controls show up in the DSP section. The way plug-in flip works is, the eight faders in the main unit can be borrowed to directly control the eight knobs in the DSP editing section.

The 'parameter identity' for each fader in this case comes not from the application, but instead from the DSP editing section in the main unit. This leaves us with two distinct problems; 1) the other Fader Packs in the system don't know anything about the main unit's DSP editing section (for the reason I mentioned previously) and 2) there are a total of eight DSP editing knobs available.

Control|24 gets around this by having 24 DSP editing knobs along with 24 faders, all sitting on a single node.

Chris Lambrechts
11-07-2002, 07:12 PM
ok makes perfect sence.

That 'lock' down feature makes perfect sence. nice suggestion Jared. especially if that lock down would realy LOCK down to those faders and even stay in there with memory locators assigned to view groups of tracks. yes I know ... you can allways include those lock down tracks in the memory locator. Just thinking out loud....