PDA

View Full Version : networking 2 PT sys (with ProControls) ?

sonicsam
09-06-2001, 01:33 AM
Hi all,
Has anyone succesfully networked 2 PT rigs with ProControls ?
We have 2 mix plus rigs with PC ( one with editpack) and would like to share projects and files.
But since PC is allready using the ethernet connection, I don't see how we could make it work.
any help ?

thanks,

sammy images/icons/confused.gif

NCM engineering
09-06-2001, 08:31 AM
I have 5 machines with 5 procontrols all networked. This is on the NT platform. I do the following:
NIC card from computer to hub (at each workstation).
ethernet connection from Procontrol to hub.
other end of hub to a fiber switch.
Emulex fiber card from PC to switch.
Vixel fiber switch to JBOD.
Lots of proprietary fixes and patches.
This allows me to read and write to my drives over fiber, and network all my machines and Procontrols together. This may be way more than your looking for, but it works well in the right configuration.
KElly

sonicsam
09-06-2001, 09:02 AM
hmmm, let me think...
so what if I install a second ethernet card in each mac (still have one slot free) and connect those with each other, wouldn't that be a lot cheaper ?
or would that render conflicts ?

sammy

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: sonicsam ]

NCM engineering
09-07-2001, 09:01 AM
If all you are doing is pushing and pulling files back and forth, It will probably work fine. If you wish to read and write Protools data from one machine to the other, in a Protools session, It won't work. If you get it to work, it will only be a matter of time before it crashes hard. 6042.....and many other error messages. Not really sure on networking Macs. All my experience is in/on the NT/wintel platform. If you can get the mac's talking to each other, and add a hub and/or a 2nd NIC, I don't see why Procontrol would'nt play nice. Keep in mind that none of this is digi approved. The un-official official answer from digi is "unity". A very digi/AVID specific networking system. A very expensive networking system.......
Kelly.