PDA

View Full Version : New user with questions/comments...

uno1234
04-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Hey everyone,
I have a few question and comments about my new ProControl...

1) My faders "tilt". If you push down on the bottom half of a fader, you can raise the front end. Is this normal? The Neve Capricorn faders I know do this, but you can pull those right off.

2) Does the PC only see mix groups in the grouping section of the channel matrix? Or does it see all the groups?

3) How do you make a DSP section knob (a plugin parameter) go to its default setting? I figured it out with all the other sections of the PC, but not with the individual parameters.

Finally, a couple of comments.

-It would be nice to bring up the channels inserts/DSP editing from the channel matrix. If I can mute and solo from the matrix, why do I have to flip fader banks to access a channel's DSP?

-On that note, when you exit the DSP editing mode, the plugin window in PT should disappear. It's silly to exit DSP editing mode and then hit the plug-in window button, and then do it all over again when you want to get back to it. I'd like the PC to automatically free up the screen real estate. The HUI does this, btw.

-And furthermore, why can't I access the DSP editing AND the channel matrix at the same time? I know you need the channel matrix for flipping parameters, but you should be able to use the mutes/solos/select section of the matrix and still edit the single plugin page that you were previously working on. Obviously you can't flip pages until you hit the "param/pages" button in the matrix.

-It would be nice to use the channel matrix to select the 8, 16, or 24 channels you want to "see" in ProControl. Why should you have to look at the faders you don't ever use? Set and forget it for some, intensive work with others. PC and PT shouldn't be restrained to simply contiguous fader banks in groups of 8.

-It would be nice to have a command that automatically scrolls the edit/mix window screens to whatever 8/16 faders are "up" on the PC. I often find myself solely working on the PC for minutes at a time, but look back at the screen and have no idea where I am. It would be nice if the Mac screen could jump to PC. I know how you can do it in reverse in PT prefs, but I always have left that off because it gets in the way.

-And every ProControl should have smooth DSP editing knobs like mine. They are so much better than the safe-cracking business.... Digi should come up with a solution for an upgrade.

Finally, where can I get a dust cover for this beauty?

Thanks! Love my procontrol!

PTPerson
04-06-2001, 01:25 AM
1) My faders "tilt". If you push down on the bottom half of a fader, you can raise the front end. Is this normal? The Neve Capricorn faders I know do this, but you can pull those right off.

Yeah they move baby yeah!

2) Does the PC only see mix groups in the grouping section of the channel matrix? Or does it see all the groups?

I'm not 100% on this one but I think it's dependant on what window is "active"

3) How do you make a DSP section knob (a plugin parameter) go to its default setting? I figured it out with all the other sections of the PC, but not with the individual parameters.

No.......you have to use the GUI......kinda defeats the purpose eh?

-And every ProControl should have smooth DSP editing knobs like mine. They are so much better than the safe-cracking business.... Digi should come up with a solution for an upgrade.

I couldn't agree more. some more pots would be a pleasure too, especially for big plug ins, Channelstrip, Filterbank etc etc

Every time I use the GUI I think ........ "Why didn't they implement that on here?"

I actually have a limited edition ProControl I think.......The "-50" on the last meter (5-6) is missing!!

michael c
04-06-2001, 09:07 AM
Why aren't the DSP editing knobs the same as the Pan knob encoders? What was the thinking on making them stepped? Can you have these changed to the less obnoxious smooth style encoders? Thanks.

uno1234
04-06-2001, 09:21 AM
The DSP knobs are smooth on all new units. It's very sexy.

PTPerson
04-06-2001, 03:48 PM

Why aren't the DSP editing knobs the same as the Pan knob encoders? What was the thinking on making them stepped? Can you have these changed to the less obnoxious smooth style encoders? Thanks.

It is poss.......$1000 for another "upgrade"

Throw money at it until it's correct so it seems.

And lets not even mention the ashtray!

http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

uno1234
04-06-2001, 04:32 PM
Yeah, what's up with that? I tried using it a little bit, but it is pretty much worthless. If Apple can get it right in a $1500 powerbook, why can't Digi get it right with an $11K controller? Why couldn't Digi just use the same trackpad manufacturer as Apple's. Perhaps it's a naive assumption.

But if the trackpad wasn't there, they would have room for the zoom/select buttons to be where the trackpad is now... wouldn't that be nice!

michael c
04-06-2001, 08:49 PM
My Pro Tools computer is a G4, but for everything else I use an iBook 466, so I use a trackpad all day. Curious why the Pro Control trackpad is so lame. Could this be fixed Gannon? I love Pro Control, but it would be nice to have a usuable trackpad for editing and basic PT moves/commands. Thanks............

Jules
04-07-2001, 03:25 PM
Guys, get hip...

If I spread my right hand, my thum touches the edit wheel on my PC Main Unit, my little finger touches the trackball on the Mission Conrol (Gallery) Just above the track ball (which is a huge indusrial sized one) is the macro pad with 70 hot keys for pro tool functions and above that is the QWERTY keyboard I am typing this message on.. All housed in a "empty" Fader Pack. Next along from that is a Fader Pack.

So 16 faders, a keyboard, Trackball mouse, 70 hot keys - and a surround sound Axis joystick panner.

perfect combo.. & no ugly keyboard "Under", "on top of", or "to the side of"

Check it out..

http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Jules