PDA

View Full Version : cheap components!

branco
10-02-2000, 03:47 PM
Well, it took a year before rotary encoders on master section of my ProControl started to behave in a strange way. When trying to sweep through a parameter value, I'm experiencing jumps and sudden changes. Very often, I'm forced to write automation with a mouse on screen! I work in post, and I really use these knobs a lot, but that's bot an excuse!
We've been asking Digi for some time now, to make a bigger, hi quality PC, and now it is obvious that better components should be used. When I see these things happening, I remember that cheap analog good sounding desk (I'm sure you all know which one) tat had to be recapped after two years, if not, the nice sound was gone.
It would be a pity to see such a great product (concept?) as ProControl lose credibility because of few bucks saved on RRP.
Branko

Chris Lambrechts
10-02-2000, 06:13 PM
Wich reminds me, did digi change the coating of the arm wrest thing or however you call it yet. Mine is full of air bubbles now and I have to change it one of these, It is starting to look rediculously cheap and I get client remarks all the time.

Chris Lambrechts

Jules
10-02-2000, 09:30 PM
My arm rest looks like sh*t too, the one on the Mission Control is worse, Digi sold Gallery dud blank units with the old crappy peeling ruber paint. Not good especialy with studio promo shots coming up soon, Digi?
This (arm) rests with you...
http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/shocked.gif
Jules

Will Russell
10-03-2000, 05:03 AM
The armrest is a know problem and mine was replaced under warranty. Of course, I had to get a whole new ProControl as the armrest was not a field replacable item when I complained. The armrest is now field replaceable.

Digi was good about the ProControl warranty.

------------------
Will Russell
Electric Wilburland Studio
http://www.wilburland.com

postmod
10-03-2000, 07:43 AM
So Digi will replace the armrests? With just painted ones? Is it better paint, or just the same stuff? I just spent 100 bucks (minimum order) for a roll of 1/8 inch thick sticky back foam pad (flat black-looks good) that I like better anyways. It's more comfortable, and my hand doesn't sweat as much. As for cheap components, I sure am getting annoyed with having to recal the faders once an hour...

[This message has been edited by postmod (edited October 03, 2000).]

DigiTechSupt
10-03-2000, 08:42 AM
Hello,
A Procontrol or Faderpack arm rest
( Procontrol Front Extrusion Replacement
Main & Fader unit ) #990007014-00
can be purchased as a field replacement
for $115 Main unit & $95. for the Fader pack plus tax and can be ordered
from Digidesign tech support. 650-842-6699
If you have a unit that is under warranty
this replacement is free.

Chris Lambrechts
10-03-2000, 02:49 PM
Digi, Tech supp, PC development lab,

I realy don't give a f*ck about the 115 $$ and I will get one, thanks for the tip. I even can live with the pain of having one of the first PC's over here in Belgium when it came out, and having to deal with the child-bugs or whatever they may have had. Hell, I'm the first even to say that the waranty actualy works. I got my first unit replaced UPS within 48 hours when it malfonctionned. It didn't cost me a cent and you guys even let me send the old one back on your expense. Thanks a lot for that and keep it going ......... BUT .......

I also think that a 12.000 $$ unit could use a better paint coat on the arm rest then one that peals off after a year or so. I hope in the meantime this problem has been solved.

------------------
Chris Lambrechts

DigiTechSupt
10-03-2000, 03:22 PM
Chris Lambrechts
Thanks for the response. How long did it take
from the time you recieved your replacement
Procontrol till the first signs of bubbling
paint?? Yes the problem has since been resolved. Most units were all replaced under warranty. It seems you bought one of the first Procontrols. Let me know about
when the problem actually started occurring
and why you did not contact us earlier so it could have been repaired in a timely fashion.
Please Chris, I was only providing this post with replacement information. You should contact Tech Support for possible options for
replacement of that extrusion. If there are circumstances that prevented you from contacting us or the unit had the problem after the warranty was over, let us know and we can make arrangements for a replacement.
Thanks
MJ
Digidesign tech Support

Chris Lambrechts
10-03-2000, 03:57 PM
MJ,

If memory serves me right it is now almost 2 years since I got my first unit. The unit was replaced a few months after that (3 or 4 max) so that would mean that I 've had this one for about 18 months, maybe a little more. Here is my serial number :KH0038300A. The first "bubbles" started to apear like 4 or 5 months ago. first a very small one near the transport buttons (guess that's where they come first since your hand is there the most). By now the bubbles are spreading out all over the rest. Don't worry, I did not contact digi about this because that's just my nature. Happy as I am with the thing, it didn't matter much to me. Main thing, the unit works perfect. Last couple of weeks the Bubbles seem to spread faster and faster and people coming in the room started making remarks about it. So I started thinking about possible solutions, like replacing the coat myself with a fine leather tissue or so.

Like I sayd, it's my own fault not complaining about this earlier and I did not want to do this in my previous posts either. I'm happy to know that the problem has been resolved and are even more happy to get a new one. The money is not an issue. I've had my unit long enough to apreciate it for it's power more than for it's looks. I'll be happy to pay the 115 $ for my clients sakes,....... well, ok I'll be honest, I'll be happy to with the new rest. My ProControl, although not the most expensive unit in my studio is and stays my little baby, and she deserves a new one.

If I sounded negative about the 115 $ in my post I apologize, did not mean to ... Only wanted to say that the PC deserves a better paint than the first models had, and apparently, you guys agreed since you did something about it. So problem solved, I'll get a new one ......... thanks

------------------
Chris Lambrechts

Ang1970
10-03-2000, 11:45 PM
Just curious, would anyone who is qualified care to guesstimate what it would cost to reverse-engineer a Pro-ProControl?

This model would have:
- *Nice heavy pots that don't wear out after 3 years.
- *External power supply.
- *5 aux sends on each channel with pre/post, solo, and mute switches.
- (Maybe push knob in/out for mute.)
- *Plug-in section on each channel.
- *Separate buttons for all the automation modes next to every fader.
- *Option for VU or plasma meters, and both on master.
- *Flat screen, QWERTY, trackball, and writing tablet.

Any other suggestions?

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

[This message has been edited by Ang1970 (edited October 03, 2000).]

branco
10-05-2000, 04:05 PM
I can still remember my first impression when I saw ProControl at dealer's office. He was proudly showing something that looked identical to any home studio equipment - small, cheap plastic finish - something that didn't look like robust peace of studio equipment. Later, convinced by ProTools automation capabilities, I accepted the PC, but it still fails to convince my clients at first sight. You should be able to at least lean against a console in a studio without damaging it, and with PC, you should think twice before touching it, it's so fragile!
And now, when after a year components begin to show first signs of problems, I remember my first impressions and dream about a real professional system, built to last...
Strange enough Digi responded immediately to those cover paint issues, but not a single word about my problem.
Branko

Jules
10-05-2000, 04:18 PM
I'm letting you know digi, I need a replacement for my PC armrest and my Mission Control arm rest. Mark at Gallery who sell the Mision Control , made from fader packs Digi sells them, has said he can't get any responce from you about swapping mine out. 9obviously made with the old faulty paint) The PC main unit suffers from bubling and is one watch scratch from peeling. So How about it? Both are looking crappy.
Thanks,
Jules

Ang1970
10-05-2000, 07:52 PM
Ours has a few watch scratches, and I would like a free replacement, just out of principle.

The new one should have at least 1/4" thick rubber, padded leather would be acceptable too.

I am not joking. This is DISGRACEFUL business practice, to cut such huge corners on a $10,000 item!

And I also noticed how you responded immediately about the arm-rest, but not to branco who started the thread, asking about a much more important problem. I find this DISTURBING.

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Jules
10-06-2000, 03:38 AM
Gannon (our ProControl guy at digi) can you help us all out here?
http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif
Jules

AvidCS
10-06-2000, 08:14 AM
Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to document some of your concerns and suggestions here. We appreciate it and take your input seriously.

Branco, we have not had alot of reports like yours on the rotary encoders in the PC. Please call your nearest Digi office and speak with Tech Support. They can work out the appropriate RA procedures with you.

Same for your issues Jules and Angelo. The fastest way to resolve this is to give the closest Digi office a call and get with Tech Support.
http://www.digidesign.com/about/indxcontact.html/

Bob Langlie
Director of Customer Service
Digidesign

Camilo Orozco
10-06-2000, 03:06 PM
The paint near the Play/stop/rec buttons is dying (not the paint in the arm rest). I guess it is because my fingers.
Any body????
Mine is not 1 year old.

branco
10-10-2000, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the response, Bob, I'll contact the nearest service centre.
But, to come back to the original problem, the solution you are proposing (and for which I'm sure will resolve my problem) will NOT resolve the basic problem PC has - cheap materials used in construction.
I have the feeling that you guys at Digi aren't aware of the power of the product you put on the market, in other words, I'm sure you underestimated it, and now it's difficult to make a quick change.
Once again, build it more robust, more Pro, if possible.
Branko

DigiTechSupt
10-11-2000, 01:57 PM
Branco (and others). Thanks for your ideas and concerns regd. the Pro Control product. We are well aware of the material flaws the product has experienced in it's short market life. We in support and manufacturing have been doing our best to address and fix these problems in as timely a fashion as possible. Whether or not you're in or out of warranty, we try to be fair and prompt when it comes to your satisfaction with the product and our service.

I cannot speak for the depts. in Digi that design and market the Pro Control. It's fair to say though, that considering the success of the product (it's been extremely successful), there are plan afoot to expand and improve the product. I know this for a fact. In other words, we are very aware of the "power of the product". No matter what you spend on a high end, high profile, major brand name product, you have the right to expect quality and service. Digi is trying to
meet those expectations now and most certainly in the future. The Pro Control was the first product of it's kind at Digidesign. We had never produced or sold this type of hardware before. It was a huge effort and all factors considered, a worthy one. Not perfect, but successful beyond our expectations.

So, what does this mean for you ? It means good things when it comes to second generation design. Digi has learned a tremendous amount about high end dedicated controller products by producing the Pro Control. It won't happen overnight, but you will see Digi high end hardware develop and improve and (hopefully) give you all the features and quality you've stated that you want.

Look at the development of Pro Tools.
In less that ten years it has gone from a basic two track wave editing program (Sound Designer),to a marquee product that has changed the professional audio industry forever. The Pro Control product will not take nearly that long to develop. We have learned, and Digi will deliver. Stay tuned, and don't be shy about letting us fix any problems you have with your Pro Controls or Fader Packs. Our goal in service is your satisfaction and the continued use or our products. Thanks for listening.

Tom Siebo
Digidesign Customer Service

branco
10-11-2000, 04:39 PM
Tom,
thanks for the reply. This is the last time I'll write something on this issue - I hope I made my point clear in my previous posts. For conclusion, I'll just say that any system or equipment can and will be judged by it's weakest component or element. If you put a Ford Fiesta (forgive me guys for this example, nothing personal) engine in a F1 car, nobody is going to think it can be competitive.
Nobody would like to see this project abandoned for silly resaons. BTW, when you fix those knobs and metalwork, I'm sure the armrest will be better, too.
Branko

[This message has been edited by branco (edited October 11, 2000).]