PDA

View Full Version : As requested by Tech Support, Pro Control 'wish list'

Jules
05-12-2000, 06:58 PM
1) Please bring the scrub wheel up to date with the latest PT software functionality, for the price of the unit there is no reason why we ProControl users should be an afterthought or 'when we get round to it". It's been too long now already.

2) As there is no provision for spare buttons for future use, why not make the two black buttons by the seldom used track pad, to switch from 'Auto Input monitor" to 'Input Monitor". Or at least make it an option.
Lets face it those buttons are in a PERFECT spot for it!

Left = input
Right = Auto input

3a) an option to switch off 'frames' so we don't get dizzy from usless frames whizing past as they arent really needed much on music sessions.

3b) organise the decemel points on the min.s seconds display for the above to look better than it does now...

4) An advanced use video would be AMAZING! (why not ask Charles Dye to do one?) I do little with the channel matrix or groups and probably only use 1/3rd of the Pro Controls features.

Finaly congradulation to you digi, more and more I see articles on key industy producers setting up studios based around the Pro Control. I appreciate the coverage on the gear I have based MY set up on.

Thank you,

http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Jules

Last
05-13-2000, 04:06 PM
Hey , I agree with Jules!
Does my vote also count?(a joke)
But seriously,here's another idea:
Why not avoid the problem with adjusting plugin paramaters by utilising the handy scrubwheel and those same two black buttons:you could let the user decide in a prefs menu wether he wants to use the current way of adjusting parameters by deciphering the garble in the scribble stripsand turning the undersensitive knobs, or he could scroll through plug in parameters backwards and forwards using those two buttons,and make adjustments with the scrubwheel .The current parameter would be highlighted alone to avoid confusion.You could still use Jules' brilliant idea for using those buttons as monitor mode selectors , and it would only swwitch to "parameter adjustment mode" when a plug in is called to the screen .I hope techsupp.does not miss this because I''m posting it as a reply,could you guy's please let me know ?

Jules
05-13-2000, 06:15 PM
Snip Quote:

branco
posted May 13, 2000 04:38 PM

How about a calibrated monitor level fader? More space in the master section (for customizing)?
Branko

joesn
05-15-2000, 05:47 AM
best ideas for a long time...respect to you guys; I hope, that digi tries to work as efficciently on a session as we have to, cause we donīt check our soft- and hardware for problems, we make our money on working with that stuff; so, please take a closer look on these ideas, they are GREAT!!!!!! I for my part, I never even touch one of those parameter change buttons and wheels, I still use the mouse, which I hate! So - please HELP.

Joe The Rasta

soundmotiv
05-18-2000, 03:02 AM
Hi Jules,

For example I have the problem that I must
switch between surround mode and stereo mode
(Monitor) many times (Post Production). For
me it would be very helpful if the buttons
would be staffed to swich between the two modes.

I think the best way for our need is to have
a fast-access window for procontrol setups in
which we can configure the two (or more !) switches.

MJR http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

CHRIS AIKEN
05-27-2000, 03:22 AM
i agree with the scrub being fixed and also switches for input/auto input.

branco
05-27-2000, 04:11 PM
Aaaaawwwwww, this is already dreaming....I don't know if I should say this : Better (read: serious) metering? Some nice resolution, to allow us to see if it's 18 or 20? More segments? Different scales? Balistics?
Adding a small meter for active plugin ( e.g.signal reduction in compressor)....
Make it relly PRO, not just Control!
Branko
p.s. Jules, thanks for noticing my post, it's a pity you don't work for Digi...

iamstudios
05-27-2000, 08:12 PM
I agree with Jules too... the auto i/p monitor thing would be great to have... and I love the idea of using the scrub wheel as a parameter wheel... About surround mode.. it is a shame that the PC doesn't have a seperate O/P for the aux and talkback section, because every time I switch to surround I have to patch it (damn) on the patchpanel in order to prevent that the talkback suddenly appears on one of my monitors..... It would be great not having to think about re-patching to surround and just pressing one button... http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif
How do you guys get around this 'problem'?

thanks
Barnier

malc25
05-28-2000, 03:58 PM
Seems like the ProControl jog wheel is totally useless when it comes to music, that is; it doesn't snap to a grid, or can it??

Jules
05-30-2000, 03:42 AM
clarpark
The PC is for mixing right? Well it's nice to jump around quickly, i.e. memory locations.

PLEASE!!!!!

DSP/ EDIT ASSIGN Strips should be able to read the memory locations. It's kinda embarrasing that I paid 10k and I have to remember the numbers for
locations. I'd imagine it'd take one guy an afternoon to write it in. Come on Digi, please do it.

Good idea, perhaps the dsp edit/assign LED displays could double as memory location and pressingbuttons 1 -8 could take you there.....
Jules

bootman
05-31-2000, 04:52 PM
How about a solo?

This is more of PT in general request but it would need to be incorporated. When OD'ing I like to send my mix (so I can hear/control theirs) and solo-in-place becomes useless.

Jim Morris
05-31-2000, 11:21 PM
Why isn't there an "edit fades" button on the PC? Am I missing something? And it would be nice if the keyboard was QUERTY.......

Jim Morris

Ang1970
06-03-2000, 01:43 AM
qwertyqwertyqwertyqwertyqwertyqwertyqwerty!!!!! (ok, so you'd have to replace the entire keypad... nevermind. sigh.)

Alpha LOCK would reduce the need for a large number of dedicated keys; thin automation, duplicate, mute/lock regions, fade, etc.

Dunno how many of y'all use the zoom/sel keys for selection mode, but for me it is rare to none. I'd like to see a way of choosing which modes are toggled, so I can go directly between zoom and navigate. Leave select to the mouse, thank you.

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

houser
06-05-2000, 11:47 AM
Hi,

Easy number one for me:
* Open up the Procontrol for 3-d party support, please!.
In our case we actually put of purchases for two more Procontrols because of this.
We are seriously thinking of selling our 3 ProControls and switch to Motor Mix as at least the fader part is usable and already
works with the two apps that are crucial to us other than PT:
Logic Audio and Kyma.

I hate to be the grumpy bastard on this list but the combo of Motor Mix and some serious monitor section (there are a few)
is really quite tempting.
We will probably try it and do some tests.

* Open up to the 3-d party please, at least on a rudimentary levels, pans, mute and solso fader levels.

It was better in the old days.

regards and hopes for the future to bring new things

Jan Anderson
Nomad Editing, L.A.

stevegalante
06-06-2000, 03:27 PM
Agree with Houser; I'd like to use Digital Performer 2.7 (unless PT 5.01...)!!!!

sound_smurf
06-06-2000, 08:25 PM
Hey Digi I Must agree with the above.
The board is cool for the most part.
But why did you give surround mode and stereo mode if we can't feely switch between the two with out patching things or a setting up a session template that just adds confusion.
My next thing is, some one was smoking too much glue when they opted to make the key pad read a,b,c,d,e..... instead of making it like a normal computer key pad!!! Come on we all used pro-tools before we bought the console. We want a new key pad with Alpha mode laid out like what we are used to.

I think the a solution for the surround v.s. stereo mode might be to add another audio out port to the back so we can wire up are studios to switch btween the modes. Thus no patching and silly session templates that WASTE TIME. In this industry time is worth a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

But other than that I have no major complaints yet, and I think the board has some great potential.
Cheers

houser
06-11-2000, 11:19 AM
sound_smurf writes:
But why did you give surround mode and stereo mode if we can't feely switch between the two with out patching things or a setting up a session template that just adds confusion.

I don't understand this.
You can do this already.
You simply wire your patch normalled to the outputs for your
5.1 ans stereo setups. LR being the same as your stereo speakers. The simply switch.
I agree that the monitor section is rudimentary and leaves
you thinking about getting something better.
But it _does_ work as advertised.
We have don e this in three rooms and it works just fine.
Maybe I am missing something?

regareds
Jan Anderson

houser
06-11-2000, 05:54 PM
sound_smurf writes:

I don't understand this.
You can do this already.
You simply wire your patch normalled to the outputs for your
5.1 ans stereo setups. LR being the same as your stereo speakers. The simply switch.
I agree that the monitor section is rudimentary and leaves
you thinking about getting something better.
But it _does_ work as advertised.
We have don e this in three rooms and it works just fine.
Maybe I am missing something?

regareds
Jan Anderson

Last
06-19-2000, 08:05 PM
Hi I'm back .
Look everybody here has come up with some nice ideas,that are at least worth discussing.Why the absence of Digi folks in this group?

http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif

Jules
07-07-2000, 03:48 PM
Yarzz!

DigiTechSupt
07-08-2000, 06:34 PM
This is a wish list post. I like the ideas
and would encourage more posts. You realize
that the engineers are always working on the
products and they read these forums. Just keep the ideas coming.
MJ
Digidesign Tech Support

PTPerson
07-20-2000, 10:17 PM
I haven't had my PC long and I am already wishing for "Alpha lock". Make the whole thing far more functional for post production 'cause of all the keyboard shortcuts in 5.0.....

Qwerty would be nice but I could adjust if the Alpha Lock thing was incorporated.

gk
07-22-2000, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

First, let me thank you for all of your input and great ideas! We are certainly listening and are doing all we can do to satisfy your concerns.

Second, let me apologize for not being more present here on the DUC. I've been travelling and working hard on new products and haven't been checking in as regularly as I should. Thanks to Mark in Tech Support! He keeps me pretty dialed in.

Many (almost all of the things on this list) of these ideas are already in development for our next major release. I can't be specific right now, lest I raise your expectations and then dissapoint them! As we get closer to release, we will give you a heads up, so you'll know what to expect. As a studio owner and dedicated ProControl user myself, I'm very aware of how it works (or doesn't) in a day to day, work as fast as you can environment. I'm working hard to make it better for all of us. I bet you're really going to like what we're doing with it!

Keep it coming, and thanks for using ProControl!

-GK (Gannon Kashiwa)
ProControl Product Manager

ps. Check out the Rocky Mtn Recorders User Story on this site, or www.rockyrecorders.com (http://www.rockyrecorders.com) if you want to know more about my studio.

stevegalante
07-22-2000, 11:11 AM
Thank you Gannon, please just confirm there's not a new model round the corner...

gk
07-22-2000, 11:38 AM
Not to worry, you're safe for a while! http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

-GK

gk
07-22-2000, 02:33 PM
The website is quite out of date, sorry! Check out the RMR User Story (in the Post section) for a more up to date picture of things. I need to work on the site, but have been too busy at Digi to even think about it!

-GK

PTPerson
07-22-2000, 04:46 PM
Hi Gannon,

Do you know if we're able to purchase blank fader packs? as I'm going to get a friend/freak/genious to build an add for my ProControl with QWERTY keyboard, trackball,flatscreen with 4 VU meters in the meter bridge, we've considered the SMM module however being in Australia if something goes wrong could be a real problem.

Thanks in Advance.

PS 1 week with my ProControl and loving it!!!.

gk
07-22-2000, 06:17 PM
PT,

We don't currently offer empty fader pans as a salable item, sorry. We aren't set up to sell components of any of our systems. You might try SMM and see if they'll do any empty one for you. Glad you like your ProControl!!

Jules,

Chill dude, here's the URL...http://www.digidesign.com/user/user.php3?location=main&story_id=30

-GK

Jules
07-22-2000, 06:26 PM
Ahhh!
Finaly!
Thanks for the directions.
Jules

PTPerson
07-22-2000, 08:06 PM
Geeeez, SMM are hopeless at replies (I've dropped them 2 emails and not had 1 reply!) and I'm really surprised Digi can't do that sorta thing seeing as they tout the ProControl as a world class mixer. I know for fact that most other consoles offer an abundance of spares and the like, what a shame http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif

PTPerson
07-30-2000, 05:45 PM
Howabout better onscreen reference to the ProControl?

One thought:

Label all of the onscreen PT channels so that they refer to the channel matrix on the ProControl for easier navigating.

Eg: Channels 1 - 32 onscreen show "A1, A2, A3 - A32"
Channels 2-64 onscreen show "B1, B2, B3 - B32"

So we can see a channel on screen as C3 and we can quickly jump to the channel matrix and hop to the track instantly.

I thought that the comments window on the channel strip would help if you don't plan to move channels, but if you do then everything has to be re-commented. Having it below the channel name would be fantasitc!

While we're at it, howabout a small number in the plug in window as well so we know what parameters are on what page in the DSP section of the ProControl.

Just some thoughts http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

UltraJay
08-01-2000, 02:56 PM
I realize this won't well more PC's but ... in the film world, the ability to switch between one PC and several (dialog, music, efx) computers quickly would be VERY helpful.

Thanks
Jay

Kenny Gioia
08-07-2000, 12:12 AM
Ditto to above Also:

Track numbering for Pro control.
I get so lost going thru banks. On/Off in pref.

Better Midi

Better way to put all audio in one place.
If I accidently record audio to a different drive, I have to quit, copy the audio(after I find it) and then I must delete the original

In logic you have the option of moving files. And deleting originals

Consolidate regions should include the Autofade which we here. Duh

Automatic plugin delay compensation, that's invisible on the screen so we could still leave our regions on the downbeat

Stereo tracks are a must

How about a feature that automatically trims the regions to the nearest 0 amplitude. On/off in prefs

Definitely custom colors for voices and Tracks in the edit and mix window.
If my lead vox fader was red it would make it easier to find. Drums blue, Bass green etc. That should be easy. By voices is pretty useless.

Different show/hide for tracks in edit and mix windows. I don't need to see all my aux returns and effects in my edit window.
It's a waste of real estate

Midi volume should be more like Audio volume. I know there are less steps but can't we just have a fade out with 2 points. I know their will be 127 steps.

That's it for now.

Thanks Digi

Kenny Gioia
08-07-2000, 12:15 AM
How about custom colors for audio regions. Like in logic

UltraJay
08-07-2000, 06:04 PM
I don't think anyone has said this but nobody uses the eight knobs for plugs-ins because they are not logical (user friendly) enough. If you made a dedicated EQ section, Dynamics section and Reverb section ala Neve Libra or Sony Oxford (albiet they don't have reverbs), you would have a GREAT controller. Third parties can map their controls to whatever knobs and buttons you provide. A little larger footprint would be worth it.

Jay
Ultrasonic Digital
New Orleans

JKD99
08-07-2000, 08:07 PM
I'll second that one, and while we're at it, why do the knobs in the DSP section have that stepped click thing happening? Makes them harder to turn, and annoying-sounding. Why can't they be like the other knobs?

------------------
Joe Milner
Puget Sound
Los Angeles

PT Weenie
08-09-2000, 10:20 AM
All great ideas! How about incorporating some null lights into the channel strip sort of like what is available on the faders in the mix window? Maybe when we grab a fader in AUTO, the MUTE/SOLO leds would ligh tup to show us our null point.

Just a thought.

------------------
Dave

Matthew Saccucci Morano
08-15-2000, 07:44 PM
Here's one: When you swap an aux to the faders, it would be nice to still have your track names visible without having to hold down the display button. Maybe you could scroll through display options like you can in non-swapped mode.

Jules
08-16-2000, 07:10 AM
I agree, I am oftrn using this while in Plug in delay 'work around' mode, its a bummer to not reallly know what you are fiddling with....
Jules

branco
08-16-2000, 06:20 PM
Speaking of automation... it would be a nice feature to have faders jump to zero not only in "Trim-Write" mode but in "Trim-Touch" as well.. You could trim, let go, and it would then smoothly go back to the old mix.
Another nice touch would be a smooth transition between automation modes, not this terrible jump that leaves garbage all over automation data.
And I repeat: touch sensitive DSP controls, to enjoy the Touch Mode when EQing, compressing, etc.
Branko

George Cumbee
08-18-2000, 08:54 AM
I just want my meters to work properly.

Still are sluggish and jumpy....

George
Classic Recording

Last
10-29-2000, 03:05 AM
I am just bumping this up....whats up GK..are u still with us?LOOK at these ideas ...they are wonderfull.
Thanx.

PS..I will occasionaly bump this thread to keep it alive...lock it and I will fly over and hand in my pc personally(a euphimism...and a joke!)
Keep rocking
Last http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Jules
10-29-2000, 04:45 PM
peace and joy to the world. http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif
Jules

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited October 31, 2000).]

gk
10-30-2000, 09:07 AM
Hi kids,

I'm still here! I haven't had a great deal of time to participate on the DUC recently, but I do read it and take note of all the great ideas offered here. It is an extremely valuable source of ideas, after all, you are the ones who are using our products every day in the heat of battle! How could we not listen to you?!

Jules, I'm bummed about your cancerous bolsters. Please call the UK office and ask them to sort you out. If you have any problems, have them call me.

In the mean time, we are working overtime to get 5.1 out the door. Those of you who have seen it know it addresses many requests in this forum. Those who haven't seen it, watch out! It is by far the most amazing Pro Tools release we've ever done.

Be patient, be cool, we're doing our best to create a world everybody is pleased with!

-GK

Ray Fabi
10-30-2000, 10:14 AM
One quick question GK, what did you mean by there will not be a new Pro Control for a while? Is it still worth investing in an Edit Pack, and extra faders if Digi is preparing a NEW Pro Control?

By the way, for what I do, I really enjoy my PC

------------------
Ray Fabi
Ton of Bricks Studios Montreal
514-990-2713

Borgbilly
10-31-2000, 01:56 AM
Greetings All!

This is my first trip to the DUC in quite a while (I'm BUSY). I took some time out a couple of weeks ago to check out a demo of 5.1 and gk isn't blowing smoke about some of the requests in this thread being answered. The MON/Phase button in the Select/Assign section toggles between input and auto input (Hooray!). There is also a feature for some supported plug-ins to flip all the parameters over to the PC faders. I saw a demonstration of this with the Virus plug in and it was quite remarkable. Lastly, the guy doing the demo showed me a CAD drawing of the front panel of a new PC add-on control surface similar to the Gallery Mission control. The device features high resolution 40 segment LED surround metering, a QWERTY keyboard at the forward edge of the unit (unlike the Mission Control where the QWERTY is so far away you have to have ET arms to use it), a trackball, and a pair of touch sensitive motorized joysticks for surround panning. He was reluctant to discuss a delivery date but said the list for the thing should be in the neigborhood of $8k US (ouch!!!!). Oh well, I guess there is nothing that can't be fixed if you're willing to throw more money at it. At least the monitor switch, surround vs stereo monitoring issues, and the fader DSP edits will only cost us the price of the Protools upgrade.

------------------
Richards Outpost Audio
* Ain't Life Grand?*

Jules
10-31-2000, 04:49 AM
ET here! What are you saying about my arms Borgie! Ok they are long and I DO have a long finger with a light on it!
Digi UK were very kind and are in the process of swapping out my arm rests - Horay! - Thanks digi! http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif
Pro Control rocks! It's so easy to put an artist in front of it in auto touch mode while mixing and just tell em to grab a fader do thier ****, then let go of it when they are done!
I love my ProControl, so do my clients!
Jules