PDA

View Full Version : Waves Ren EQ and ProControl??

dbakker
02-20-2000, 10:37 PM
We just installed our ProControl, and while getting used to it's operation, I've noticed that the Waves Ren EQ support in the DSP edit section is kind of strange. I can get Focusrite and MacDSP and the Ren Comp plug-ins to work great, but the Ren EQ is weird. The freq values don't show up, and the bypass buttons change the Ren EQ output level.
Is there a version that has better compatibility?
Thanks,
Dave.

George Cumbee
02-21-2000, 09:04 AM
Waves 2.8.1 is the latest version. It is downloadable from Waves.com

I have not noticed the problem since we just find the DSP section on ProControl to be too slow. I can do eq'ing etc with the mouse on the screen before I kind find the right knob or change the mapping on the DSP section. I think in time you will see what I mean.

I had thought that was going to be a 'cool' section, but all I use it for is when I do an automated move on an EQ or effect.

Hope that helps, Good luck!

George Cumbee
Classic Recording, Franklin, TN www.classicrecording.com (http://www.classicrecording.com)

roykamen
02-23-2000, 10:11 PM
I agree. Digi should just program the faders to control the plug-ins... that way the touch automation would work on them.

joesn
02-24-2000, 03:12 AM
this is the best idea you can get!! Hey DIGI, please program the faders to automate or even only edit the plugs!!!
I am sure that would sell a lot more PCs...

Rock it, Joe the Rasta Ganjakilla

dbakker
02-24-2000, 09:57 AM
George,

Regarding the DSP section, to the contrary, I find it real nice to use on MacDSP comps, Ren comps, and focusrite eq. I'm only a 1-week user of the PC, but it hasn't worn off yet. I'll let you know if I chance my mind.

Regarding editing plug-ins with faders, I'd put my vote in for this too! It would be great.

Dave.

roykamen
02-25-2000, 07:51 PM
about 6 years ago I was at AES in NYC and locked beneath a crystal clear case was..... Procontrol's prototype. I remember how the faders were supposed to control EVERYTHING....EQ freq, gain, etc, Verb parameters, delay tap times, compression ratios... all automated...
My nails left marks as I clawed at the case.

Rumor has it that Digi ran it over with a car and PC was born.

Any truth to this Digi?

Jules
02-26-2000, 04:24 AM
Wow sounds like the baby in the snmall rocket sent from a distant planet that grew up to be SUPERMAN! The stuff of legends....
http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/shocked.gif
Jules

dbakker
03-01-2000, 10:10 PM
OK, back to the issue.

Now, I have upgraded my Mac to Waves 2.8.1. Everything starts up fine. I still have the same problem. If I load a PT 5.0 session and open a Waves RenEQ plug in, my ProControl DSP
edit section is not well implemented. For example:
1. If I open a RenEQ4, all four bands gain shows up fine in the DSP edit section (scribble strips). However, only 3 of the four bands show frequency.
2. The bypass switch next to band 1 gain toggles that bands Q from min (.26) to max (~6). You would think this would turn off the band.
3. The 2nd band bypass switch toggles the first bands filter type (i.e., shelf, HP, bell).
4. There are several other odd things that happen when you press other buttons..
This is hard to work with.
Note that the RenComp implementation in DSP edit is great. All the buttons and knobs work the way you would expect.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,
Dave.

Jules
03-02-2000, 04:03 AM
Try finding someone who cares! There is a "third party development' guy at digi, and of course Waves. One will tell you it's not thier job to 'tell Waves what to do', the other, well good luck getting through to anyone I din't think you will get much joy from either.The buck gets passed, folded and put in a pocket! Good luck. I'm with you.
Jules

George Cumbee
03-02-2000, 08:45 AM
I rest my case.....

Mousing PI's is still faster. I, on occasion, adjust parameters in the DSP section just to justify paying for it and to amuse myself. I don't do it when I have a client with me though, cause they will wonder why it is taking so long to figure out where everything is and figure which button brings up the rest of the parameters.

I like the idea of getting them on the faders for automation. That is a great idea.

George Cumbee
Classic Recording, Franklin TN www.classicrecording.com (http://www.classicrecording.com)

dbakker
03-02-2000, 08:41 PM
I just heard back from Waves tech support today and their message to me was:

"At this time, we do not support Pro Control functions. We have no information on future implementation of it."

So in case anyone out there is researching a ProControl purchase, keep this in mind.

Disappointing.

George Cumbee
03-02-2000, 09:12 PM
Can everyone say...

"Bite the hand that feeds you"

George

Jules
03-04-2000, 03:26 PM
How about a word from our Pro Control guy at Digi? Care to come in on this one?
Also a month or two on, how's things going with our edit wheel functionality? Any developments there?
Thank you.
Jules

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited March 04, 2000).]

gk
03-04-2000, 05:45 PM
Your guy from Digi here,

You're right, Jules, it is up to the third party developers to map their plug-ins to ProControl. We provide them with tables on where things will show up and they then write up a page table to map the plug-in. It's the way the third party stuff has always been. I beta tested for Waves as well as several others and have complained about this several times with no result. Page tables are no big deal, I've written several since I came to Digi in January. It's a matter of making it a priority, I guess.

As for the jog wheel ballistics and faders going offline intermittently, those are fixed in 5.0.1 as well as a couple of other things.

-Gannon Kashiwa
ProControl Team

Jules
03-04-2000, 05:48 PM
I will take that smooth with the rough. http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif
Cheers Gannon,
Jules

dbakker
03-05-2000, 12:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies (especially digi).
Yes, clearly Waves is the culprit here.
For what it's worth, I also have MacDSP filter bank, and it maps flawlessly to the PC DSP edit section. Every single software control can be found.
48bit math, sounds excellent. I've stopped using the RenEQ because of this.
Dave.

John McDaniel
03-05-2000, 01:00 AM
Here's my version of the Waves vs. ProControl story through many phone calls and emails. I started pressuring Waves a year ago on the DSP section implementation issue.

Waves: "We don't have a ProControl for testing."

Digi: "All developers get a spreadsheet/grid for programming for the ProControl; they don't need to have one."

Waves: "Well, uh..."

Digi: "We'll contact Waves about the issue."

Me: "If I can get you a ProControl for testing will you get the DSP section together."

Waves: "Well, uh.... We're really busy trying to straighten out the DSP Manager mess."

Digi: "We can't control our 3rd party designers."

Waves: "Uhh... we're still trying to straighten out the DSP Manager debacle. As soon as that's over we'll fix the DSP display on the ProControl. We know it's whacked."

And now it's: "We don't support the ProControl?" GMAFB. I'm goin' shoppin' First stop: Metric Halo.

later, j mcd.

Will Russell
03-05-2000, 06:02 AM
I too was initially ****** about the poor RenEQ implememtation on the PC. I have found however that the ability to grab EQ points with the mouse etc is a great way to use this EQ, and probably quicker that the PC could ever be! The RenEQ interface was definatly designed for mousing. I wish all EQs worked this way!

------------------
Will Russell
Electric Wilburland Studio
http://www.wilburland.com

theazone
03-12-2000, 08:50 AM
To add insult to injury did you notice when you have the REN EQ on screen the TAB function in the edit window is exclusive to the EQ and not the next cue,sync point, fade or cut.

rg http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif

Will Russell
03-13-2000, 05:33 AM
Yup. That one's a drag. The numeric keypad defaults to the waves window as well. Been burned several times when I though i was using the key pad in classic mode to go to a locate point and changed my Q instead!

------------------
Will Russell
Electric Wilburland Studio
http://www.wilburland.com

gk
03-13-2000, 08:55 PM
The trick with any Waves plug-in is to make sure you accept any change, whether it be a mouse move or direct numeric entry, with
<Return>. Until then, the field is still open and 'sees' the keyboard. You can still have the plug-in windoid open, just make sure it's cleared by pressing the <Return> key and the keyboard will be released back to ProTools.

Hope this helps!

-Gannon Kashiwa
ProControl Team

Jules
03-14-2000, 03:52 AM
Gannon is a groove, isn't he?!
http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif
Jules