PDA

View Full Version : Feature request

Branko
12-26-1999, 01:35 PM
I have a full 32 ch system and I use it for film mixing. As you know, there are many level and EQ changes in one reel (maybe thousands for a 20 min reel), and here is where PT automation really shines, combined with ProControl interface. I can say this is one of the bes automation packages on the market, in any class.
However, one particular function that is available in software didn't make it to the ProControl surface - touch write of plugin parameters and pans. Obviously, the knobs used on PC aren't touch sensitive, but can that be changed in future? Imagine the power this feature would give to users! Am I naive when I think that it would be enough to change the buttons for conductive material and to slightly modify the hardware?
Also, I think that, in future, a bigger version of ProControl should be introduced, with more buttons and knobs, and more working space. And, yes, that rubber paint is awful! It keeps peeling off.
Branko

Branko
01-01-2000, 05:00 PM
just bumping this up...Digi, answer iven if this is nonsese.
Branko

Digi Engineering
01-05-2000, 04:40 PM
It sounds nice indeed, but I suspect it would be extremely difficult (and expensive) to do such a sweeping change to the hardware and software.

If there is a software feature that might help you accomplish what you're trying to do, that might be more feasible. Let us know.

Thanks for your feedback,

-- Marc

Branko
01-08-2000, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the reply, Marc.
I agree that it could be very expensive to change the hardware, but that's the point I'm trying to make: PC system, featuring all the great automation possibilities given by software, can be developed further. Right now, it can be compared to a Ferrari without a gearbox. Keep this one as LE version of ProControl and give us something bigger, more sofisticated, and obviously, more expensive. The potential already exists in software, and I'm sure many people running commercial facilities (that are reluctant to go for PT/PC system because of its "inferior look" compared to "big time consoles") will seriously consider buying the system.
As for your question, I don't think there is a software feature that can compensate for this feature, it would be another workaround, and the beauty of touch update, which is in its simplicity, would be lost.
Another useful software improvement could be a smooth transition between Latch and Touch mode, i.e. I could trim the controls in Latch mode, then (while still rolling) switch to Touch mode. If I do it with current version of software, it switches instantly to previous position. Introducing a (programmable) ramp when switching between modes would be a nice touch, too (as implemented on Sony Oxford).
Branko

Ang1970
01-08-2000, 08:12 AM
Branko,

I agree about the Latch/Touch transition. Can't think of any instance where I wouldn't want it to use the automatch time... Slamming the volume up or down like it does is very likely to create a pop, and you're forced to edit it w/ a mouse.

I also see where you're going with the King-Sized PC idea. For what they're charging, it would've been nice to at least make it out of heavier material. I'm afraid to press buttons. Feels like one day a button might go right thru the mount, or crack the circuit board, whatever it's mounted on (I haven't seen under the hood yet).
It's definitely a great interface to get work done on, but does it have to look and feel so cheezy? I've had 4 track cassette recorders that looked more impressive and would survive a fall from a 3rd story window.

I wouldn't mind paying a few more grand for a bigger master section:

- more dedicated function buttons
- big chunky buttons like you see on an SSL (which are probably cheaper than the ones in the PC anyway)
- more characters on the insert parameters so you don't have to look at the monitor to know what knob you're turning
- switches on the insert param. section so you don't have to hold down info to get to those type of parameters
- 3/4" knobs, and don't bother with that stiff notched stuff (what was the point for that anyway?)
- separate sets of arrow keys for each of the 3 ZOOM/SEL modes
- lose the trackpad and put a full sized scribble pad and a trackball in there... or maybe leave the trackball off so we can put our favourite flavour on externally; no 2 people seem to like the same one... but leave rooom for it to the right and/or left of a...
- full sized QWERTY keyboard; alpha mode is almost usable, but not quite
- SRC 4, 5, 6, etc...
- match the weight of the console to a 1978 chevy impala with leather interior
- rip the leather out of the impala and use it to make a nice armrest
- brighter lights and more colors (to justify our higher studio rates to the clients)

Did I miss anything?

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

[This message has been edited by Ang1970 (edited January 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ang1970 (edited January 08, 2000).]

Branko
01-13-2000, 04:30 PM
Angelo,
You got it right.
I would add only three hings to your list:
1. high resolutioj metering
2. separate knobs for Pan and Auxes
3. possibility for multiple master section

Also, I would leave some space in master section for some customization (in film dubbing theatres, every studio puts its own set of light switches, projector remotes, monitor matrix switches, Dolby Cat430 remote, etc.)
Branko

Jules
01-13-2000, 05:30 PM
I cant get the nifty scrub / selector in PT 5 to work with the scrub wheel , can you guys???

Jules

roykamen
01-15-2000, 09:07 AM
How bout turning the faders into Plug-in controls? (like procontrol was supposed to do back in 1995). It would be kind of neat to use 20 automated faders to control gain and frequency of the Q-10. Think of the possibilities.... delay taps contolled by the faders, and pan pots.....

1. Get rid of all the knobs, most of the buttons and little readouts...
2. incorporate a full sized keyboard and a programmable trackball (i use click, dblclick, preroll, postroll, and save.
3. add a 16 x 4 x 2 submixer for additional monitoring of external gear, phone patch sends from anywhere, Studio speaker sends, Alt headphone sends... you get the idea... and while your at it make it automatable.
3. Add afew more speaker selectors. I need at least 5 - mains, Hi quality near fields, low quality nearfields, mono, tv, etc.
4. build in an old fashioned, great big, analog stereo meter (full assignable of course)

For now, I'll just keep my hands on my ball and board 95% of the time,and keep reaching over to my outboard Mackie monitoring mixer and Niles speaker selector. It's good excercise.

------------------

Ang1970
01-16-2000, 07:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>You got it right.
I would add only three hings to your list:
1. high resolutioj metering<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You still use meters? I gave up years ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>2. separate knobs for Pan and Auxes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess it would be nice, but I do all my aux's in flip mode now. Like the feel of the throw better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>3. possibility for multiple master section<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please elaborate? You talking about multiple machine control? Or maybe extra set of faders for groups?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Also, I would leave some space in master section for some customization (in film dubbing theatres, every studio puts its own set of light switches, projector remotes, monitor matrix switches, Dolby Cat430 remote, etc.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely! Don't know why I didn't think of it. Good catch!

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Branko
01-18-2000, 03:01 PM
Well, I still use meters (when they give useful information)
As for the separate pan and aux knobs, that's not essential, but I could use it.
Multiple master sections - to be able to tweak for example plugins from different positions (or two different plugins at the same time), and, yes, two transport controls. When you have a 32 ch system, you begin to move a lot behind a console.
Any plans, Digi?
Branko

Jules
01-18-2000, 05:37 PM
I spend a lot of time doing the following:

1) Pressing the clear meters to get rid of overload 'reds'

2) switching the automation off ( dunno why , it bugs me to start with it on!)

Does anyone else do this too?

I'm really digging it! So are the bands I'm working with...

Jules

Ang1970
02-13-2000, 12:32 AM
Jules said:
>2) switching the automation off ( dunno >why , it bugs me to start with it on!)
>Does anyone else do this too?

This isn't a big deal for me. Automation doesn't do anything until there's something actually written. And it's easy enuf to hit all+off with your thumb and ring finger.

If you're hitting the clr-clips button excessively, it might be time to take a look at the way you're setting up levels. The most I ever have to hit that button is when tracking vocals - see red light, attenuate mic pre - hit clear button - no more red lights.

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

batman
02-14-2000, 02:55 PM
Yup

"And, yes, that rubber paint is awful! It keeps peeling off."

"It's definitely a great interface to get work done on, but does it have to look and feel so cheezy? I've had 4 track cassette recorders that looked more impressive and would survive a fall from a 3rd story window."

"wouldn't mind paying a few more grand for a bigger master section:"
- match the weight of the console to a 1978 chevy impala with leather interior- rip the leather out of the impala and use it to make a nice armrest - brighter lights and more colors (to justify our higher studio rates to the clients)
Did I miss anything?
Most clients think it looks cheaper than my HUI...!!!
Phillipe Stark makeover anyone..??....

http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Jules
02-14-2000, 04:50 PM
Ang1970 I'm using an Apogee with soft limit, hence the hotness !!!!

Jules

Ang1970
02-16-2000, 01:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jules:
Ang1970 I'm using an Apogee with soft limit, hence the hotness !!!!
Jules<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might be stuck with that problem then.
Have you tried switching to metering post fader in preferences?

Personally, I use soft limit only as a "save your ass" precaution, not to push more level to "tape". But if it's giving you what you want, keep doing it.

One more thing: the AD8000 f****** rocks! http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

rogergreen
02-16-2000, 03:34 PM
I'm new to this topic so I may be speaking out of turn, but If people want more plugin automation but redesignong ProControl is too expensive, why (and I'm going to show my design illiteracy here) make a 'expansion pack' that is simply a matrix of touch rotary knobs with LED labels under it? so, the user can have the choice of using standard procontrol interface, or the unpgraded pack, that has enough knobs to access all parameters in one page?.

Thanks for your feedback,

-- Marc[/B][/QUOTE]

Jules
02-16-2000, 05:56 PM
Thanks Angelo, I didn't know I could have it post fader, I will try that soon....

Jules