PDA

View Full Version : Mastering in Pro Tools

Dead Space
12-05-1999, 10:54 AM
I realize that Sonic Solutions is the way to go when doing serious mastering; it definitely sounds better. But I often have clients who just want to do a quick demo, or just want something to take home and listen to. I was wondering if creating fades in the audio regions would be better than using the faders to do fade ins/outs on the two track master. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this would avoid or at least lessen the truncation problems in the mixer I've been reading about on this board? Or would it make any difference?

scottgreiner
12-07-1999, 03:50 PM
I've noticed that creating fades adds hiss to the tail of the region, perhaps this from some kind of noise shaping (or lack there of). Using the automation seems to sound better to me.

Rail Jon Rogut
12-08-1999, 03:16 AM
Dead Space

Fades use the selected dither preferences as you've selected in the Preferences dialog... so building fades and not having any level changes and having everything panned hard left and right should sound better than using the 24 bit optimized mixer. Make sure that your dither prefs are set to dither to 24 bit , etc.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer

thefly
12-08-1999, 04:37 AM
do u leave the dither setting at 24 bit even when u're working on a 16 bit session?

Przemek
12-08-1999, 02:11 PM
...so building fades and not having any level changes and having everything panned...

Rail - are you sure that fades do not change levels? Or there is something I don't understand?
Thanks,
Przemek.

Disco_Doctor
12-09-1999, 02:12 AM
Sure, fades change levels, but they do it with dither, whereas the Pro Tools mixer does not.

Leave the dither depth set to 24 bits in all cases but one: If you are bouncing a mix to disk and want to create a 16/18/20 bit file using the Digidesign Maxim plugin (or any plugin the uses Digidesign's dither), then set the dither depth to 16 bits. Otherwise - leave it at 24.

http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif