PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Hat micking

Enrico Donner
11-25-1999, 02:02 AM
Suggestions?
Thanks

Jonny Atack
11-25-1999, 07:35 AM
That's exactly what I use too: Calrec or C414ULS. Right on, Jules.

Ray Lyon
11-25-1999, 07:42 AM
Nuemann KM184... pointed to the edge of the HH opposite snare ...a light expander setting on playback can help isolation

ProTools4
11-25-1999, 09:50 AM
As far as 'm concerned Hi hat mics are not needed. Especially if you a a great Hi hat.

If you do need the Police Hi hat sound or are sampling I would go with Julians' advice. And be sure to put in the Low Cut the last thing you need is the hats pumping air noise into the mic.

BTW I drum....:-)

------------------
Tad Banzuelo
ProTools4@aol.com

ProTool1
11-26-1999, 03:34 PM
I like the C1000, Julian already reccomended it but I thought I'd put in my .02

[Benjamin]
11-26-1999, 04:59 PM
depends on what HiHat sound you're after

(by the way, a tip, if you got a slightly harsh hihat ("cheap condenser sound"), just "touching it down" with the Lo-Fi plug (disable anti-aliasing, touch it down a bit here and there..) gives me a wonderfully smooth hi-hat sound (but I woulnd't use it for jazz..)

I think..
1) Don't use more mics than necesary..
2) You know when you feel the drumkit is all over the place - Stereo O/H's in the mix, especially if they're wide, can be such a bad thing, even worse if you compress them together (which you're bound to do sooner or later) and the compressor is keying from a sum input (which most of them do).
3) So, instead, put a nice U87 or whatever, above and slightly behind the drummers head. Go into the control room and listen.. Ask yourself "What else do I need?" - Add that.
(for Stereo Imaging, I find that adding a pair of ambience mics some 10-20 ft, very wide (it can work to your advantage if you put them close to a wall - to get some early reflections) pan them in a bit (60/60 or so), and just bring them up slightly)

------------------
[HYPERSONIC]

11-26-1999, 06:34 PM
(distant mic's) "it can work to your advantage if you put them close to a wall - to get some early reflections- HYPERSONIC"

Cymbals off a (brick) wall rule!

dBHEAD
11-27-1999, 03:53 PM
Shure SM81. Very widely used for cymbals (including hi-hats) choir and strings. If you want color, it's NOT the mic to go with. If you want that hi-hat to sound the same in your mixdown as it would if you were right there listening to it, I'd strongly recommend it. It will work for nearly any genre of music.

It will also work for nearly any sound which has significant high frequency content.

Oli P
11-28-1999, 12:52 AM
Another good mic is the B & K (or DPA as they are called now).

Try the 4006 omnis on overheads, and the 4011 on the hat.

These mikes have greater dynamic range than almost anything else on the market.

Enrico Donner
11-29-1999, 03:05 AM
Thanx guys, great suggestions!
I have got already 2 AKG 414 ULS, which I was using over and a little back the drummer's head (I use to place drums in front of a "diffusors wall", and put also a couple of condensers directed to the diffusors).
I'll first try with a C1000 (I tried with a C3000 but I don't like it), the cheapest choice...: I'd like to spend my next budget for a valve mic, I'll put another topic on that!
Take it easy geezers!

Didier de Roos
11-30-1999, 03:24 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with Oli P. when it comes to overheads. I own a pair of B&K 4006, and they are disastrous on drums overhead if the drummer is anything other than light-handed...the 4006s just can't take the pressure on that kind of signal. They are wonderful mikes for anything a bit more delicate. On the other hand, B&K 4004s, the 130V version with very small capsules, are able to handle the job nicely: they can handle 160 dB SPL! I use them on every percussion instruments, but to use them on drums overheads requires that the acoustics be first-rate, since they capture everything in the room (omnis!).
I've been using a very good (and relatively cheap) russian microphone on hi-hat lately, the Oktava MK-012, with pad and cardioid capsule. Check it out: excellent for jazz amongst others.

Didier

danisrael
12-01-1999, 07:09 PM
One item to mention....

I agree with the above selections, however large capsule mics tend to distort and loose high freq when the capsules weaken. In addition older 414s (7-10 years on) are susecptable to all kinds of problems.

Make sure the mics you are using (or buying)are in good shape.

And for God's sake don't send your 414s to AKG for service.

Ronni
12-02-1999, 09:56 PM
I like to use AKG 391B's for Hat or Overhead I also use the AT4033 alot for something a little cheaper on the Hat.