PDA

View Full Version : HELP... system taking to much memory!

Anibal
11-18-1999, 09:46 PM
9600 with 8.0 system, I realized that, since yesterday, it's taking 80 megs of memory (I have 128) and there is not enough to operate Pro Tools. Any clues?

Thanks

Disco_Doctor
11-18-1999, 10:10 PM
What's your disk cache set to? Do you have the RAM disk feature turned on? Both of these settings can be checked in the memory control panel.

http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

[Benjamin]
11-19-1999, 02:43 AM
Well, I tend to run into something pretty much like what you're experiencing. When ProTools is running, The System is using almost every bit of RAM that I have left, whatever the amount (tends to land at 80-120 MB). If there's less than 80 megs left for the system, ProTools can't start. (It can look like this: ProTools: 18MB, DAE: 152MB, System: 86MB) Whereas, when ProTools is not running, system memory runs at aprox 18 MB)
I guess this is due to the digi-inits in the extension folder. The only thing is, I'd like to know: Why? and How much? -DIGIDESIGN, WHY IS THIS? AND WHEN IS IT ENOUGH? HOW MUCH MEMORY SHOULD I PUT IN MY CPU FOR PROTOOLS TO BE PLEASED WITH THE MEMORY ALLOCATION?

(I'm currently running OS 8.5.1 or 8.6, it's a PT 4.3.2 and a mix+ package, the computer has aprox 260 MB ram, and it's a 266MHZ G3 (I'm swopping it for a 9600 now, to get more PCI slots, (not gonna pay $1500 for a PCI expansion chassis, forget it)).

------------------
[HYPERSONIC]

Anibal
11-19-1999, 07:31 AM
Thanks Benjamin, but the problem is that even before launching Pro Tools the system takes aprox. 80 megs.
Disco, I'll check those settings, what's the ideal amount?

[This message has been edited by Anibal (edited 11-19-99).]

Disco_Doctor
11-19-1999, 04:03 PM
Turn the RAM disk off if it's turned on, and set the disk cache low - 512K or less. Usually, you want the disk cache set higher, but with Pro Tools, a higher disk cache slows down certain operations.

http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif