PDA

View Full Version : USD/Time code analyser

Andre B
11-17-1999, 06:58 AM
Is there a simple box or Mac app (possibly something within the USD or OMS setup apps) that will indicate the frame rate and drop/non-drop frame status of incoming LTC? I'm usually feeding code from a 3/4" BVU to my USD. My understanding is that the USD only displays your settings, not what you're receiving. Thanks in advance for your help

Disco_Doctor
11-17-1999, 07:41 PM
I don't know if there's a way to determine if the code is 29.97 or 30, however, if you have the drop frame setting set wrong on the USD, it will drop out of lock the second a drop frame comes along. For example, if code is 29.97DF, and you're set to 29.97 or 30ND, Pro Tools will dump out of lock as soon as it receives a drop frame.

http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Charles Deenen
11-17-1999, 09:33 PM
ESE makes a box that will show TC and a drop/non drop indicator. It comes in several sizes, and models (www.ese-web.com)

Also, if you can pick one up used, "midi-man" used to make a variety of these boxes for cheap. They had either MTC input or LTC input.

Furthermore denecke makes a few as well.

-charles

Rich Breen
11-18-1999, 08:52 AM
Andre - Brainstorm Electronics (http://www.brainstormtime.com/reshapin.htm) makes a complete set of timecode analyzer/repair devices. Very popular and extremely well thought out. The simplest is a box that reshapes, and displays actual frame rate and type. The most complex box displays everything including color framing errors and phase problems, will spit out complete reports to a Mac or PC, and repairs just about any kind of problem you could have. If you're working with code on a regular basis, these boxes are great!

Hope this is helpful,
Rich

Stratman
11-19-1999, 05:21 PM
If you do a lot of transfers, the SR-15 Time Code Distripalyzer by Brainstorm is a must. You can transfer with absolute confidence if you use it correctly. I can't imagine doing transfers without it.

Disco - this box displays whether the code is 29.97, or 30, or whatever the frame rate is. It also shows you if it's non-drop or drop..and it reshapes code as well..it's the bomb.

[This message has been edited by Stratman (edited 11-19-99).]